Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Hive Fleet Mammoth's Awakening
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:37 pm 
Big One

Greetings fellow Swarmbrothers and sisters! With the new dex release and such, my fleet's Norn Queen has been working to evolve its minions, readying itself for a return foray into the biomass rich imperium!

I decided to finally name my fleet, dubbing it Hive Fleet Mammoth. This is actually from my gaming groups Dark Heresy roleplaying games. One of the main planets central to several of our stories is an Imperial World named Edious. In a previous campaign (one my friends played before I joined their gaming group) the world of Edious was infiltrated by a genestealer cult. The governors psychically attuned daughter was kidnapped by the cult, and amplifying her powers they used her as an unwilling beacon to guide an approaching hive fleet. At great cost of life the invading fleet was repelled by the brave Edian Guardsman, and the cult was largely eradicated from the planet. The planet has since been rebuilding.

Twenty years have passed on Edious since the infamous battle of the Wall, where the fleet's back was finally broken, and the regiments have built from strength to strength. One of my friends has collected a guard army based on the Edians, and another friend on an elite regiment also featured in our stories on Edious. So I figured with my joining to the group, and already having a solid Nid army, I would assume the mantle of Norn Queen for the remnants of the Mammoth Fleet.

And so for twenty years the few remaining hive ships have waited outside of the system, growing new forces with what little biomass left after the defeat years ago. The time to attack again is now! Perhaps other planets in the system would fall first, to feed the increasingly hungry fleet in its bid to take Edious again.

So there is the bit of fluff behind my fleet. My group is looking to play a massive apocalypse battle later in the year, the second battle for Edious, and so in the meantime I must re-engineer some of my old units, and build some entirely new ones too. I have been working most recently on my Tervigon, which I am not 100% happy with. I cut up my old sniper fex style Babyphant and used it as a base for my Tervi. The thing I think it is lacking is one more frontal carapace plate with Spine banks. I will make one up for it soon. Here are a few pics.
[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

Also on the chopping block is my old unit of 3 warriors with scytals and devourers. I decided to make themmagnetize the various options I might choose, and so far have built them a set of lashwhips/boneswords and also a left handed set of boneswords if I wish to run them dual sword. Also have scything talons magnetized too. I want to magnetize some devourers and deathspitter options as well, though the ranged weapons are a bit of a pain to magnetize! I also took apart an all plastic lictor I had built a while ago, who was quite static in posing. Using an old metal ravener head (with no lower jaw) and some sculpted tendrils, I have turned the boring old lictor into a much better looking Prime. He is also magnetized, though the dual sword scytal combo is the only option I have built so far. Looking forward to trying out this nasty little CC squad in battle. Here are some pics of the Prime (he is now undercoated and awaiting the brush).

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

And one of the old lictor. A good use of an old model I reckon!

[Open in new window]

So right now I am working on painting the Prime, a Trygon, and the new weapons for my warriors. I will post some more pics once they are done. That's it for now!

Last edited by nuklearangel on Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Hive Fleet Mammoth's Awakening
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:52 pm 
Biotitan

The thumbnails are loading super tiny when I click on them :<

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:06 pm 
Big One

Fixed I think! Let me know if they are too big, I will resize the next batch a bit smaller.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:01 pm 
Big One

Bubble bubble, the vats have been a-working and new monstrosities now emerge to ravage the galaxy!

First of all, I finished painting my Trygon. I am very pleased with it, one of my best nids yet, though the pics don't quite capture it. I did some fine work on the carapace striping, using 4 layers instead of my usual 3. I'm also quite happy with the talons, I tried something a bit different, going for a bit of a wood-grainish finish. Anyway, here are some pics. The natural lighting outside made some of the colours come out a bit darker, but better then nothing!

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

I also painted my Prime, and basically finished up the 3 warriors to go with him. They are all magnetized, and thanks to Hydra's whip and sword recipe they are ready to do some real damage. The bases are obviously still in progress, its about time I got rid of those old green flocked ones that I started my army with. Considering the warriors were painted about 4 years ago, they hold up pretty well. I only had to touch up a couple of spots to bring them into line with the newer prime. Mainly the pinkish fleshy vent bits. I'm going to test them out tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to that! More pics.

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

That's it for now, I'm about to embark on another commission, a forgeworld Harridan of all things. I have a month to do it, so I'd better get stuck in! Magnetized wings and all that, its a freaking monster! I'll probably take some pics of my progress and put them in another thread.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:01 pm 
Gaunt

Very nice work, Nuklearangel. I like your idea of tying in a DH campaign with some Apoc battles (fluff is fun to read as well). :D

Interesting giving your warrior prime some lictor-style feeder tendrils. I was and still am curious how players will start to set these particular units apart from the garden-variety warriors.

Since you're looking to improve your tervigon, have you considered melting glue to form drips of amniotic slime and using a wash to give some color?

Space Marines: we dare you to eat just one!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:00 pm 
Big One

Greetings fellow gestalt! Been working for the most part on a commission Harridan, but in the meantime I rummaged through my bitz box and came across an old Biovore model that was looking lonely. Man that older model certainly leaves a lot to be desired, mainly that silly looking head and tiny legs. So I gave him some longer legs, and a beefy set of scytals from an old metal ravener model. A new head too, I cut a warrior lower jaw and a ripper up and melded them together. Makes for a pretty good looking armored head. I sculpted a bit of a neck and viola, he was done. Still have to base him, and fix the tail a bit, but here are a few pics.

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

I thought that head would make a good base for a Hive Guard head too!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:33 pm 
Big One

I recently assimilated a great amount of biomass in the form of a local players old nid army. A great selection of Nids, for an amazing deal. So this week has seen me re-engineering the Scytal/Crushingclaw Fex that he had, into another Tervigon. It took about 3 nights, the first Tervigon taught me the process so this next was fairly quick. Some of the sculpting is a wee-bit sloppy, but overall I am happy with the (basically) finished product.

In particular I am proud of the base. I found an old handle powered meat grinder at work, and took it home and fed sprue into it. I remember reading something somewhere on the GW site about that. Out came some lovely rubble, so I used that with cork tile and kitty litter and other doodads (the cog is from a VCR, open one up and you will find several nice sized plastic cogs, 5 or so!). Really happy with it! Anyway, here are some pics.

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

Going to use both in a battle this weekend, am looking forward to the spawntacular!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:12 pm 
Monstrosity

I love the tervigon, especially the clawed feet. Good luck in your game this weekend, hopefully it does better than my tervi usually does! :lol:

http://warhammer40kcreator.googlepages.com

"Joey doesn't share food!!!!!!!"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:50 pm 
Biotitan

You got quite the fleet going here! Love the feets on the Tervis too. Also an interesting use for those "infestation" markers.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:23 pm 
Big One

Thanks guys! So the game went well today, the 2 Tervigons pumped out a healthy number of Gaunts, the HQ one crapping out on turn 4 but the Troop Terv kept them coming all game, allowing me to swamp the 2 objective Dawn of War scenario. My Prime and his 3 Lashwhip/Bonesword Warriors also performed well, slicing and Dicing Jagahti Kahn and his biker cmd squad, including an apothecary and chaplain while only losing one of their number. I ran out of gaunts at one point though, the 40 I have just wasn't enough! It sure is nice having disposable waves of gaunts! I also tried 2 Biovores but wasn't too impressed with them, they killed a couple of bikers here and there but otherwise didn't do much. What are everyone's thoughts on them? I'd like to try them again, perhaps use all 3 I have, but we shall see.

I totaled up what I have now, and it is an easy 4000pts, great to have a selection of units to choose from but it does make creating an army list a bit more difficult, so many choices. I'm going to keep experimenting with different lists which will keep the game interesting. For now I need to set about painting up my new tervigon, plus 2 Zoanthropes and more gaunts so I don't have to put any unpainted models on the table. A bit of a pet peeve of mine! I'll get some army pics up soon, the swarm is swelling!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:27 pm 
Biotitan

nuklearangel wrote:
I totaled up what I have now, and it is an easy 4000pts, great to have a selection of units to choose from but it does make creating an army list a bit more difficult, so many choices.

I feel your pain there, I can't decide on what to take on 1250-1500 point games, but I can easily make a list for 2000-2500 point games :<

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:30 am 
Biotitan

nuklearangel wrote:
I also tried 2 Biovores but wasn't too impressed with them, they killed a couple of bikers here and there but otherwise didn't do much. What are everyone's thoughts on them? I'd like to try them again, perhaps use all 3 I have, but we shall see.

You don't need three. I normally field two. They're a waste vs MEQ but if you play against a GEQ you will love your Biovores!!

I Spent 90% of My Money on Women and Warhammer. The Rest I Wasted....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:46 pm 
Big One

I was thinking along the same lines Mystery, thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:24 pm 
Great Devourer

KrewL RaiN wrote:
nuklearangel wrote:
I totaled up what I have now, and it is an easy 4000pts, great to have a selection of units to choose from but it does make creating an army list a bit more difficult, so many choices.
I feel your pain there, I can't decide on what to take on 1250-1500 point games, but I can easily make a list for 2000-2500 point games :<

I am finding I have the same problem. I haven't got 'the feel' of what I can fit into an army with the new codex. So each time I need to make severe cuts to come down to the points level. But I'm sure that over time we'll all get the hang of it. :wink:

MysteryShadow wrote:
nuklearangel wrote:
I also tried 2 Biovores but wasn't too impressed with them, they killed a couple of bikers here and there but otherwise didn't do much. What are everyone's thoughts on them? I'd like to try them again, perhaps use all 3 I have, but we shall see.
You don't need three. I normally field two. They're a waste vs MEQ but if you play against a GEQ you will love your Biovores!

Agreed..... sort of. :P I do like biovores in their current iteration. And depending on how many heavy support slots I have free, that is how many single biovore broods I'll stick in. I'm not rapt with the multiple barrage rules so I think for points effectiveness they work best singly. (That doesn't mean the broods of 2-3 are ineffective though!) And as Mystery said, they don't do dramatic damage to marines (as they do to guard, eldar or tau), but they are still worth taking (In my eyes.). Dropping a marine or two here and there adds up.

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:25 pm 
Big One

Hey all. Its been quite a while since my last post, but Hive Fleet Mammoth has not been idle. Although increased Imperial Activity in the area (Space Wolf Terminator and Thunderhawk commissions) have made spawning speeds less then optimum. After playing a fair few games with my nids, I came to see a obvious hole in my list. I usually use 2 units of 2 zoans, and wanted to fill the last elite slot with some of the handy Hive Guard. I didn't have any models, but like many others converted some spare warriors.

I used lightly greenstuffed gargoyle heads, the shoulder and head armor was a slice cut out of the larger infestation part from the macragge box set and then I greenstuffed it to merge the part to the back carapace. The impaler cannon is a monstrous sized barbed strangler upper arm attached to the warrior barbed strangler, with a venom cannon tip. The left arm is the monstrous creature venom cannon feeder arm. The shoulders needed a bit of shaving down, but they bulk out the model fairly well. Here are a couple of pics.

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

Then I hit them with some paint. Whack!

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

Next on my list is paint for 2 Zoans and a Tervigon.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next