Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Space Hulk custom rules, Long!
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 5:26 am 
Biotitan

I've been working on these rules for Space hulk for a while. Everything here is my own work! Anyway, here they are. Feedback (good or bad) is appreciated. :D

Section 1-Armies:

Armies are chosen from the list below, following the normal options/restrictions in the relevant codex unless otherwise mentioned.

Genestealers (Base-Codex Tyranids):

0-1 Broodlord (does not have to take a retinue).
1+ Genestealers.

Terminators (Base-Codex Space Marines):

Commanders (must take terminators armour).
Chaplains (must take terminators armour).
Librarian (must take terminators armour).
Terminator Command Squads.
1+ Terminator squads.
Assault Terminators.

Section 2-Base Rules:

Unless noted here, the rules in the 4th edition Warhammer 40,000 rulebook are used.

1. Coherancy is not needed. Each model will move, shoot etc independently, though must start the game in coherency with the rest of its squad/brood.

2. Target Priority is rolled for as normal. However, if there is an enemy model within 4” of the target that is closer to the firer, then the player being shot at may choose to allocate the hit to the closer model on the D6 roll of a 4+. However, Broodlords and Terminator characters are Independent characters, so still may not be shot unless they are the closest target.

3. Each model will choose its target and fire individually, so each member of a squad may fire at a different enemy model.

4. ‘All on your own’ tests are not needed if models are out of coherency/the rest of the squad has been killed.

5. Moral tests are rolled for each individual model.

8. Difficult terrain test are rolled for each individual model.

7. Models in CC will fight like independent characters, i.e. can only strike/be struck by models in Base to base contact.
8. Characters may not join units.

Basically, all models act as single squads of one with the exception they must deploy in coherency.

Section 3-Special Rules.

Terminators may deep strike, but only HALF the squads in the army. The whole squad arrives in coherency, but may move out of coherency as described above in subsequent turns.

Genestealers that buy the ‘scuttlers’ upgrade may still make a 6” move at the start of the game.

Up to a quarter of the Genestealer broods may deploy in ‘hiding’. If they elect to use this option, then they will deploy using the Lictor ‘secret deployment’ rules except with the change that they may appear anywhere (even in open terrain-representing them bursting out of air vents and the like) and will scatter 2D6, picking the lowest. They may still charge on the turn they arrive though.

The BroodLord has a new Ability-‘Hypnotic Gaze’. Each enemy model in Base contact with the Broodlord at the start of both players’ assault phases must make a moral check. If this is failed, they are reduced to WS 1, I 1, and 1 Attack for the rest of the turn.

The Terminator player may take a Master OR a Master of Sanctuary OR an Epistolary.

Models within 6” of an Independent character or a squad leader may use their leadership for leadership based tests except psychic tests.

Section 4-Terminator weapons and abilities.

Some of the Terminator Weapons and abilities have to be changed to fit in with the rules for Space hulk.

1. The Chaplain’s ‘Honour of the chapter’ and ‘Litanies of Hate’ special rules will affect all friendly models within 6”.

2. Assault Cannons may allocate each shot against a separate target, so it is possible for one assault-cannon armed model to kill 4 enemies in one volley. Apart from this they are exactly the same.

3. As there are no vehicles, chainfists allow any model with them to roll 3D6 and pick the highest for difficult terrain tests.

4. If a Heavy flamer-armed model fails a target priority test, then the template must be pointed towards the closest enemy model. The opponent may not try to allocate hits away on a 4+.

5. In addition, instead of firing normally, a heavy flamer my shoot a ‘firewall’. Place the flamer template horizontally up to 6” in front of the heavy-flamer armed model and leave it there until the start of the terminator’s next turn. Any model that moves across the template suffers a hit exactly like it had been hit by a heavy flamer.

Section 5-Optional Units.

While Genestealers and Terminators are the most common combatants in Space Hulk, several other troops are sometimes encountered. If you wish, you may take the following units as well as the ‘regular’ troops.

Terminator Additional Units.

0-1 Scout squad.

May not take sniper rifles. May not take a missile launcher. May be deployed in ‘hiding’ like genestealers.

0-1 Dreadnought.

No special options or limitations.

Genestealer Additional units.

Brood-brothers.
Name. Points/Model WS BS S T W I A Ld Sv.
Brood-brother 6 3 3 3 3 1 3 1 7 6+
Brood-Leader +8 3 3 3 3 1 3 2 8 6+

Weapons: Close Combat weapon.
Brood: 5-20
Options: Any number of models can be given a laspistol for +1 point (and so get +1 attack for 2 CC weapons).

Up to 2 models may carry a weapon from the following list:
Flamer (+3), grenade launcher (+8), heavy stubber (+10).
Character: Upgrade one model to a Brood-Leader for +8 points. He may spend 25 points in the armoury.

Hybrids.
Hybrid 7 4 2 4 3 1 4 2 8 5+
Hybrid Leader +10 4 2 4 3 1 4 3 9 5+

Brood: 5-15
Options: Any number of models can be given a laspistol for +1 point (and so get +1 attack for 2 CC weapons).

Up to 5 models without laspistols may be given rending claws at +5 points per model.
Character: Upgrade one model to a Hybrid Leader for +10 points. He may spend 25 points in the armoury.

0-1 Magos.
Magos 35 2 2 3 3 2 3 2 9 5+

Brood: 1
Options: May spend 50 points on weapons from the armoury.
Special Rules: The Magos is a psyker and has the following psychic power: Warp Blast.
He may select two additional powers from the list below at the points cost indicated.
Synapse: 10 points.
Hypnotic Gaze (as Broodlord): 5 points.
Hive Fury (all friendly models within 6” may re-roll failed rolls to hit in CC): 20 points.
Teleport (may move 24” in any direction instead of moving normally, ignoring all terrain/troops in the way, may not appear within 6” of an enemy model or objective): 15 points.

Weapons:
Claw Totem (2 handed, rending in CC): 10 points.
Power Weapon (magos only): 20 points.
Laspistol: 1 point.
Bolt Pistol: 2 points.
Plasma Pistol (magos only): 20 points.
Great Weapon (2 handed, +1 strength): 3 points.
CC Weapon: Close Combat Weapon: 1 point.

Armoury:
Vial of Acid: One use only. Used in the shooting phase, counts as a weapon with the following profile: St4, Ap2, 6” range, small blast. 30 points.
Cult Icon: Pass first failed moral check. One use only. 10 points.
Extra Armour: 4+ save. 10 points.

Coming soon: Sample Army Lists and Scenarios.

We don't need no stinking sniperfexes... Tyranid lover.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:05 am 
Big One

like the rules you got there. ill have a porper look at them soon when i am wide awake and make some of my own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 2:44 pm 
Biotitan

Thanks, nice to see that someone gave me feedback. :roll:

Early days yet, I suppose. Some others might wade through all that text later.

Sample army lists and Scenarios are coming. Three scenarios are planned at the moment: Sabotage the Hulk, Storm the Chamber and Escape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 3:00 pm 
Medium One

thas some good rules you got ther, like the cultists nice touch! :D
does the Masters rites of battle (not sure what its called) give Ld to all the units normally? or is it just 6" like the others?
be great to see rules for other races too :wink: :wink:

Last edited by MIGHTYPanhead on Tue May 17, 2005 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 3:02 pm 
Biotitan

I've been thinking of doing rules for Orks and Chaos, as they are the other armies that fight on Hulks, but I dont have the Ork codex and I'm not sure what to do for Chaos.

EDIT: Anyone who does read all of this and gives me some feed back, well done! You deserve a prize.

Also, anyone who wants to, feel free to use these rules if you wish. I aint stopping you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 3:54 pm 
Hatchling

Damn, that's good!! You are actually making me consider taking up a Brood Lord!!! These are amazing rules and I plan to test them out soon and tell you how it went.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 5:06 pm 
Haruspex

very nice rules, i like how you made the abilities only go 6", with space hulks narrow hallways it prevents to much abuse

i am the anti-dip

i am of the motherland!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 4:39 am 
Biotitan

Nelxav, thanks for that. :D

Hivefleetrepedation, your right, though synapse will still extend 12" through walls and the like. The limited range of the Terminator Character abilities balences the fact they are as hard as nails!

The scenarios should be up late today or any time tommorow, most likely tommorow as I have an exam in a few hourws which will take most of the afternoon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 6:11 am 
Carnifex

I trhink it's a good idea, but I'm starting to dislike the only-Genestealer thing. 'Nids are well and truly here, and they should be fighting, too.

A "boarding action" scenario including a 'Fex of up to 150 points might be cool...

(><)
(_l_) This is bunny, copy him and paste him into your signature if you want to help him dominate the world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 6:39 am 
Medium One

Tyrant Malystryx wrote:
I trhink it's a good idea, but I'm starting to dislike the only-Genestealer thing. 'Nids are well and truly here, and they should be fighting, too.

A "boarding action" scenario including a 'Fex of up to 150 points might be cool...

it is what the are built for after all.........

Simon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 12:46 pm 
Biotitan

Tyrant Malystryx wrote:

A good point, but my aim was to try and mirror the origional game, as well as incorporating some of the stuff from the ancient Playstaion 1 game (which really is rather good-I urge you to dig up a copy if you can).

The main point is that The main Hive Fleet donesnt travel on Spacew Hulks, only the genestealers. Also, in the cramped confines, a Carnifex would find it hard to move around, a dreadnought is just pushing it.

Really, a Broodlord is powerfull enough. Allowing the Genestealers to take more than one big slavering monster could be overpowering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 12:15 pm 
Big One

well lets just say its all good. lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 2:49 pm 
Biotitan

OK, first scenario:

Storm The Chamber.

Terrain: A large, spacious room cluttered with pillers, machinery, fans, other space-hulky terrain and some kind of throne.

Reccomended points: Around 1000 points. This should be about as big as Space Hulk battles get. The Genestealer player must take a Broodlord.

Objective: The Terminators must exterminate the Broodlord. The genestealers must wipe out the Terminators. As soon as one of these occurs, the game ends. If the BroodLord and last Terminator die on the same turn, the game is a draw.

Special Rules:
The Horde awakens. Recognising the threat to the BroodLord, masses of cultists and purestrains swarm in from all over the hulk. To show this, roll a D6 for each dead model on the Genestealer's force (including cultists). On a 5+, that model re-enters the game from one of the corners of the board (Genestealer player's choice).

They're coming out of the Goddam walls! At the start of every Tyranid Assault phase, each terminator takes 2 Ws6, S4 rending hits resolved at Initiative 10 on a D6 roll of a 4+.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 2:36 pm 
Big One

i like the scenario especially the 'there coming outa the goddamn walls' funny...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 11:00 am 
Little One

I like the rules and posted them on our local group board for our reigning Space Hulk Fanatic, and his reply was:

From "Brother Enosh"
Quote:
The rules sound pretty cool.

The one change I'd make is to make some provision for blips.
The rules, as written, allow Genestealers to enter the table via the Lictor rules, which allow them to assault on the turn they enter. This seems a bit severe even for Space Hulk.

I would suggest making 'blip' markers (from 3" templates). The blips move 6" in any direction with fleet of foot. They can't be 'seen' by Marines who are more than 12" away from them.
When Stealers deep strike onto the table, they deep strike onto the blip and can then move and assault like demons.

...something along those lines. At least this gives the Marines a chance to flee from the blips or to try to spot them. Spotted blips would either disappear or prevent the Stealers from deploying for one turn (force them to lurk).

Stealers would get a couple of blips to start with and get another one each turn. Blips themselves would deepstrike onto the table and could not be used on the turn that they appear.

I would also say that neither Stealers nor Marines could be lost to the warp when deepstriking.