Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Thinking about the next codex...
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:38 pm 
Zoatibix

It's been quiet recently, so let's get things going with some rampant speculation/wishlisting... :)

What are your hopes and expectations for the next edition of the nid codex?

What I'd like to see is nid becoming a leading assault faction again. Rumour has it that the Space Wolves will be getting wolfen who can run and charge in the same turn. That should be our special rule, in the same way that most eldar units get Battle Focus enabling them to both run and shoot.

Points reductions for a number of our mainstay units (termagants, hormagaunts, genestealers, warriors, tervigons) would also help us to recover the overwhelming swarm character that used to be an essential feature of the tyranid aesthetic.

I'd also like to see the rest of our special characters come back. I'm a big fan of the parasite of Mortrex, myself...

However, looking at recent releases, I would suspect what we'll actually get is a compilation of the previous codex, plus the various formations and units that have appeared in various campaign books, WDs, etc., plus rules for whatever gargantuan OMGitssoawesomeandanyonewhodoesn'tincludethis$200monsterintheirarmywillalwayslose model GW want to sell us this time round...

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Thinking about the next codex...
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:18 pm 
Deathleaper

I honestly am super irked that the Wulfen got that assault rule that Tyranids DESERVED. If the Hive Mind doesn't produce something similar or better in our next synaptic update.... I'm going to lose it. It'll just be clear favoritism on GW's part and further evidence that they really don't care about our faction.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:17 pm 
Big One

I don't care about running and assaulting, I want all tyranids to be BEASTS. 12 inch move. In a very old edition, marines and such could move 4 inches a turn, eldar were 5 I believe and nids were 6. Nids should just be faster in the movement phase and it would help us get to those assaults.

We also need better WS or I on some of our big guys and points reductions on 80-90% of the codex and drastic point drops on 20-30%.

Synapse also needs to be made less of a hardship, personally while I would love it to grant FNP or EW as well, I don't think that is needed if things like warriors just costed a few less points and if their upgrades were WAY less.

5000 Eldar
5500 Marines

In that order!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:40 pm 
Medium One

I'd like to see Lictors have an addition to Chaemleon skin where we could 1) Infiltrate at least 6" away from an enemy unit 2)Because it's an ambush they take a Leadership or initiative test to see if their WS1 drops to one on the first turn. That'd counter a lot of fearless or ATSKNF rules.

I like a rule in one of the Leviathan missions where at the start of turn 2 (I think) the opponent has to roll a d6. Once the total hits 12, they've run out of ammo and can only fire snap shots. That may be too OP though. =)

I'd like to see scything talons do something, like reroll 1's to hit, and full rerolls with two sets.

Heavy Venom Cannons should be AP2 or AP4 but multiple shots, not a blast.

If the Haruspex kills something with the grabby tongue, it should regain a wound. =)

I have a ton more. =)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:11 am 
Biotitan

My list of wishes:
  • A "Decurion" style detachment that gives free Termagant or Hormagaunt broods depending on whether you tailor your army for close combat or range
  • A Tervigon variant that births Hormagaunts
  • Tervigons that can be upgraded to birth Termagants with upgrades
  • Removal of the ability to add 2x TL-Devs w/ BLW (serious crutch that ironically results in copy lists and reduces variety)
  • Shadow in the Warp modification that actually impacts how well opposing Psykers can get off their powers
  • Tyrannocyte update that mimics the Drop Pod first turn arrival rule
  • Pyrovores with Torrent
  • The ability to DS Mucolid Spore Clusters and Spore Mine Clusters directly onto unengaged enemy units straight from reserves
  • No changes to the Tyranid Psychic Powers (they're all actually pretty good as is)

There are others but these are the big ones I'd like to see.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:01 pm 
Zoatibix

All good ideas so far. A couple of others occurred to me:

Allow tyranids who enter play via Deep Strike or Outflank to assault on the turn that they arrive.

Allow players to designate a unit in reserve to follow through trygon's tunnel. The unit arrives through the tunnel the turn after the trygon moves off the point on which it arrived.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:41 am 
Medium One

HiveFleetManticore wrote:
All good ideas so far. A couple of others occurred to me:

Allow tyranids who enter play via Deep Strike or Outflank to assault on the turn that they arrive.

Allow players to designate a unit in reserve to follow through trygon's tunnel. The unit arrives through the tunnel the turn after the trygon moves off the point on which it arrived.

Don't Dark Eldar have something similar to the web way portal? It's been like that for two codexes now; let us pick units for the Trygon tunnel.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:15 am 
Biotitan

I think that's what Manticore is saying. At deployment you pick what unit in reserve will be the one to enter through the Tunnel the turn after the Trygon arrives. This would also mean you forego rolling a Reserve roll for that unit as it's stuck in the tunnel until after the Trygon pops out.

I like this one. Completely forgot about this rules oversight when generating my wish list, but it's one that needs fixing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:34 pm 
Zoatibix

Tropic Thunder wrote:
I think that's what Manticore is saying. At deployment you pick what unit in reserve will be the one to enter through the Tunnel the turn after the Trygon arrives. This would also mean you forego rolling a Reserve roll for that unit as it's stuck in the tunnel until after the Trygon pops out.

Exactly, and if you don't move your trygon off the point where it entered, either though running or on subsequent turns, the following unit stays in reserve until the trygon does eventually get its bum out of the way (can I use the word "bum" on this forum? Oh, hold on, I just did...) :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:54 pm 
Deathleaper

All you suggestions make sense, probably why GW won't use them. I never understood why the Trygon tunnel didnt work exactly how you guys stated.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:06 am 
Medium One

Didn't the seeing swarm list from 3rd Ed allow us to deep strike into combat? Can't remember if that was for everything or just the enraged(?) Units.

Would love to see us become beasts like we've been meant to be.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:21 pm 
Medium One

6262 wrote:
Didn't the seeing swarm list from 3rd Ed allow us to deep strike into combat? Can't remember if that was for everything or just the enraged(?) Units.

Which edition had hormagaunts as beasts? It also meant beasts had a weird rule as well that I forget. I'll check my old codice, but there was an edition where hormies were considered beasts.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:59 pm 
Deathleaper

DigestedFotoGuy wrote:
6262 wrote:

Which edition had hormagaunts as beasts? It also meant beasts had a weird rule as well that I forget. I'll check my old codice, but there was an edition where hormies were considered beasts.

This was 3rd. Beasts were restricted from entering buildings/ruins I believe.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:24 pm 
Big One

i would like to see eternal warrior on warriors, maybe with only two wounds as back in the days.

make carnifexes cheaper, with lots of options to create your own monsters.

genestealers need something as well. maybe the possibility to charge when the outflank.
broodlord should be an IC again, with a psipower again.

for me it would be really Ok to not have a new super big model, i prefer a good solid armylist. nothing crazy as eldar or necrons....

hrld

http://www.pocitolocito.com
http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Hive-Fleet-Nautilus/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:54 pm 
Medium One

Genestealers need to have the Deathtouch special rule from MTG ;p