Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Old One Eye tries again
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:22 am 
Great Devourer

Hey Warpshadow,
I've been slack with posting battle reports. Because I achieved something I've wanted for a while hopefully I can leverage that enthusiasm into writing. :wink:

Both armies were a little unconventional.
The Enemy - Space Marines using Ultramarine chapter tactics (but my Salamander and some Oblators models) being played with the friend I started 40k with 21 years ago.
Level 2 librarian with terminator armour; storm shield; and force staff. Using telepathy and is the warlord.
Level 2 librarian with terminator armour; storm shield; and force sword. Using divination.
2 x dreadnought with assault cannon (proxied with multi-meltas).
4 x tactical squad with plasma gun and missile launcher.
2 x separate landspeeder typhoons (proxied with tornadoes).
Whirlwind.
Thunderfire cannon.

The Tyranids
Old One Eye as the warlord.
Hive Tyrant with twin-linked devourers (proxied); heavy venom cannon; and 2 tyrant guard.
4 zoanthropes.
Venomthrope.
11 ripper bases.
7 warriors - barbed strangler; 2 deathspitters; 2 rending claws; 2 pairs of boneswords. (Unorthodox I know, I really wanted some of my old models to see some fighting.)
2 x dakkafexes in one brood.

The mission was The Big Guns Never Tire, and the deployment Hammer and Anvil. The Marines chose table half but I chose to deploy and move first.

The table
[Open in new window]

Tyranid deploymet
[Open in new window]

Marine deployment
[Open in new window]

Beginning
Everything surges forward. The hive tyrant casts the horror and pins the one tactical squad out of psychic hood range. Warp blast is denied. The warrior barbed strangler kills 2 marines and everything else runs... including the hive tyrant who had been positioned for a HVC shot at the whirlwind. D'oh!
[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

The marines shuffle a bit and open fire. Hallucination is cast on the warriors but rolled a 1 and fearless models can't be pinned. OOE takes 2 wounds and a zoanthrope is boltered to death.
OOE has done her job as a scary distraction and the hive mind decides to preserve her life. She falls back behind the power generator. Everything else advances. The zoanthropes warpblast a tactical squad, but they are so well spread out warplance would've been the better choice. 2 die - both the sergeant and plasmagunner. The warriors do little damage, but the dakkafexes target the same unit, and reduce them to just 2 marines and the warlord librarian. The HVC misses the whirlwind badly (I rolled 11" for scatter). OOE regenerates a wound. (My first ever regeneration in 10 years! :D )
The 2 tactical squad survivors dash back to cover and the librarian separates off to provide less of a target (not that I had anything that could reach him anyhow), then casts hallucination on the warriors with 7 dice. He loses a wound to perils of the warp, and rolls another pin on the fearless brood. As they begin shooting the marines realise the hive tyrant is providing an intervening unit cover save to the fexes, and any shots at the tyrant will get Look Out Sir!ed to the tyrant guard behind the basilica administratum, and all are in range of the venomthrope for 3+ & 2+ cover saves. :twisted: All their firepower kills just one 'fex and a zoanthrope.

The middle bit
Even though I've lost far more points worth of models and won't be in position to assault yet, I feel like I have momentum. On turn 3 the 'fex guns down a landspeeder (first blood) and the tyrant warplances a dreadnought, but rolls 1 for armour penetration. The rippers keep slithering forward and OOE regenerates back to full wounds.
Determined to make the warriors attack each other, the enemy throw 5 dice at hallucination and manage to cast hallucination with 8 dice and roll You - You're a Traitor! on the warriors. Only now do we realise the power only works on characters and the warriors have none. So we decide the librarian is smarter than us and resolve it against the hive tyrant, who passes all his armour saves. But the librarian rolls badly for perils of the warp and loses his last wound, giving me slay the warlord. Bullets are more effective, 2 zoanthropes, a warrior, both tyrant guards and several ripper bases go down.

Turn 4 sees OOE run out from behind the power plant, back into the fight using the tyrant and venomthrope spores for cover. The 'fex redeploys to the right flank with the rippers; the last zoanthrope moves behind the mausoleum where she can make 'pop out' attacks; and warriors and tyrant attempt long assaults. Both fail (unsurprisingly due to needing 11s) and accurate over watch fire takes a wound from the poor lonely tyrant. (I think it was worth the risk to try and get her safely locked in combat with a unit that would take more than one round to cut through.)
[Open in new window]

The marines redeploy the landspeeder to shore up their left flank, psychic phase does nothing, and their shooting knocks the hive tyrant down to one wound.

End game and summery coming soon.

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

Post subject: Re: Old One Eye tries again
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:04 pm 
Great Devourer

The final stages
We're certainly in assault range now.
[Open in new window]

The warriors move then run back to objective 3 in the manufactorum. I avoided the objectives up until now. Objective 1 was booby trapped and objective 2 was nothing of note. So the plan was to go for objectives 4 and 5 deep in enemy territory. Number 3 was a skyfire nexus and there were no flyers in the game so there was no advantage in sitting on it before now.

The lone zoanthrope moves out from behind the mausoleum to warp lance the landspeeder. The power casts easily but she misses, and runs back out of LoS. The dakkafex really wanted to shoot and assault the tactical marines, but settles for blasting the last landspeeder out of the air. The tyrant, OOE and rippers move so close they can't fail the charge.
[Open in new window]

Point blank overwatch kills the hive tyrant, but the rippers and OOE hit. The rippers pull down one marine but take 3 wounds in return. They're in synapse range (from the cowardly zoanthrope) so hang in there. OOE's impact hits fail to pen and the I4 dreadnought hits with both attack, wounds with only 1 but then OOE feels no pain from her adaptive biology. Woo! That clearly threw her off her game as she missed with 4 of her 5 attacks, but the one that hit was a good 'un, it penned and the dreadnought exploded.
[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

The only thing that mattered from the marines now is the other dreadnought shoots (to no effect) then assaults Old One Eye. The hammer of wrath fails to wound but the power fist hits once and wounds. In return OOE hits and penetrates 4 times and the second dreadnought explodes too. OOE consolidates straight to the whirlwind and thunderfire cannon. Then to add insult to dreadnought destroying injury, she regenerates another wound. :P
[Open in new window]
Raaaargh!
[Open in new window]
Victory Raaargh!!
[Open in new window]
Conslidation Raaargh!!!
[Open in new window]
Counter assault Raaargh!!!!
[Open in new window]
Second victory and consolidation Raaargh!!!!!

While it isn't really unwinnable, the marine player concedes the game now (kindly, as I was asleep on my feet). 6VP to nil.

The last part, an Eidre style unit-by-unit analysis, will come soon.

Post subject: Re: Old One Eye tries again
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:50 pm 
Great Devourer

Wrap up
Winning the roll off the marines picked the right board side. Their was better cover there, and importantly well back from the centre line. While the other half had 3 objective to 2 on this side, his were more defensible and he knew my short range focus meant I'd have to abandon those on mine. Clever. He also had the more sensible army. The only downside was his dice rolling was awful. We lost count of how many 2+ to wound rolls he failed on the monstrous creatures and he hit almost nothing on turn 1. And don't forget his warlord frying his own brain.

The tyrant brood - Well they absorbed an obscene amount of fire but did little actual damage. I kept forgetting about the devourers as they weren't modelled on and once the tyrant guard were gone and the venomthrope was out of range the tyrant died almost instantly.

Old One Eye - She finally did something! I can hardly express how much this excited me. :D If you were feeling negative though you could point out the 2 dreadnoughts she offed actually cost less points than she did, but I'm happy she didn't give up slay the warlord and and killed anything at all. Taking time to regenerate after the first turn and then assaulting with support probably made all the difference. The biggest effect was breaking the morale of the opponent regenerating and shrugging off so many wounds.

Zoanthropes - The bigger brood kept synapse covering the right flank even if they did little damage due to the enemy carefully denying them good targets.

Venomthrope - Never were 45 points so well spent! She held the centre together for the entire game, without the shrouding I would have been toast. I need another one painted pronto.

Rippers - Well they didn't suck which was a nice change of pace. I see the point of them for objective holders with Objective Secured and will make room for a smaller brood in my next few games.

Warriors - I new they weren't a great use of points and they met expectations. I think they managed to kill all of 28 points worth of tactical marines, butt there was little doubt they were going to hold the left flank come what may.

Carnifexes with quad devourers - I was a little disappointed when I realised this brood and the venomthrope were the only things that kept me in this game. I know they are good, we all know they are good, but I wish they weren't so good as to trump so many other choices. (Ideally I'd like combo and close combat carnifexes to be sensible choices.)

I missed the biovore and I really missed the winged hive tyrant. They are just so good. :wink: