Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: DS/BS-(fritzs null deployment concept)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:54 am 
Big One

just skimming through the books i have till i can get some actual game time and such and thought of a couple ideas, want some feed back/ experiences to see if their viable.

1st lictors, always been fun to play with and beautiful abilities. normally unreliable but i think i have a idea to use their abilities (alternatively deathleapers as well). first their pheromone trail allows when a ally reserve to DS within 6"will not scatter. normally we look at it as as DS the lictor next turn DS something else. how about we use the infiltrate so its on the table turn 1 and roughly half way up the table. ideally looking for ruins/trees to hide in but in simple start the lictors on the table and let your DS units arrive near by. Deathleaper is a slightly better choice with his forced snapshot's on top of their stealth will increase chances it'll last longer. as for its chameleonic skin, traditional groups 2-3 and DS then behind a lesser mech or small unit to disrupt. idealy a agies line tie up the squad gunning it. if its a armor 10 vehicle/ walker a couple cheap rending shots followed by a efficient CC to apply distraction and disruption.

2nd- genestealers, with out the assaulting form outflank its been difficult to use them. but they are a good CC unit. i see them infiltrating, ideally in cover, half way up the board with at least 2 groups 15-20(no BL) and at least a 3rd outflanking similar sized with a BL. concept being early game rush to buy a turn for the mass to advance or alternatively a squad of genestealers in their face. bringing a landing pad (shields up for the invulnerable save) would assist in saving them if you don't get the first assault.

3. full infiltration. genestealer broods combined with spore mines, lictor broods and a DL will potentially let you infiltrate half your army allowing the other half to DS turn 2+ with out scattering. kind of a gamble since none of them are very durable without cover or synapse but concept, spore mines can blow up anything not in a tank, and either your opponent will risk putting his units in blast radius of the spores or they will funnel them into the tanks for protection in turn giving your units more room to spread and limiting some on coming fire. I would say swarmlord with guards hidden behind a giant LOS blocker would compliment nicely for baiting and +1 reserve rolls. raveners, tyrgons, mawlocks(my prefernce) would also be good to add tunnels for any dev-gants/genestealers that may be in reserve and optional synapsse with trygon prime. and mawlock of course has a beautiful S6 blast that can be very dangerouse if a lictor can get close enough to null the scatter.

thats all i got for now, thoughts, critiques, anyone try them?

Post subject: Re: DS/BS-(fritzs null deployment concept)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:13 am 
Biomass

I haven't yet tried this out, but I admit, I have had thoughts about using this kind of army. There's something about pointing to an empty board and saying to your opponent "I'm deployed" to give them a bit of a scare. I figure the use of mixed Lictors and Genestealers in the full infiltration list helps compensate for the fragility of each of the units, since both are something of a major threat and the enemy will want to get rid of both, so if you place them right (pr have big enough broods) they won't be able to take them all.

The army I had in mind for this has nothing but Genestealers as troops, 2 squads of 15 and one of eight, all with Broodlords (for potential synapse/Horror), but no other upgrades. They'd infiltrate after the enemy's setup, rather than take the risk of wandering in on the wrong side if they outflanked. They would either join the general melee, or take and hold objectives as needed.

Elites are 2 units of 3 Lictors each (or possibly 3 of 2) who can Infiltrate/Deep Strike as needed, but would generally be infiltrating to support the reliable incoming of other units. They would go on to support the incoming units, or attack enemy Devastators, Broadsides and the like.

HQ is the Deathleaper for the same effect, plus enemy character hunting.

Fast Attack Slots would be Gargoyles and Raveners with Rending Claws and Devourers for DS initial shooting, possibly with some Spore Mines to help clear any knots of simple troops.

Heavy Support would be a Mawloc and a Trygon Prime (with Toxin sacs and the Miasma Cannon) to offer Synapse to the Gargoyles and Raveners and do some DS arrival shooting.

Hopefully using the Lictors and Deathleaper to direct the arrival of the other units, one could hopefully pop up around a vulnerable spot in the opposing army with everything other than the 'Stealers, and perhaps pick off a particularly target rich area with the Mawloc (I've had a bit of a soft spot for them since one popped up under a full squad of Devastators and killed the lot on the first hit). Then with the initial round of shooting from the Lictors, Gargoyles, Raveners, and Trygon, cripple enough of the opposing force that second round assaults can prevent their taking enough objectives to win a game.

It might be a touch weak versus any kind of vehicle heavy force, needing melee to take out anything with more than the lightest armour, but I like the fluff notion of a pure ambush swarm, a vast array of monsters that simply rear out of the earth at the approach of the enemy.

Post subject: Re: DS/BS-(fritzs null deployment concept)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:36 pm 
Big One

let me know how it works out