Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: new tyrant load out?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:53 am 
Big One

just browsing a idea for a new hive tyrant load out.

hive tyrant: wings, ymgarl factor, miasma cannon, Stranglethorn cannon, thorax swarm, Old Adversary

about 305 pts, so pricey but a lot of infantry slaying early and late game. starting off with the wings for getting around as jump infantry or flying MC, the main weapons miasma cannon and the STC should be able to reach the entire board or near such. with poison 2+ and the other a S6 pinning should be efficient to deal much damage, and if close enough the thorax swarm (adjustable to the match) can toss in a few extra wounds. if gliding and can assault tyrants natural abilities should be devastating if theirs anything left form the barrage of firepower. on the defensive we have the jink save from flying, and 2 template over-watches if assaulted. on top of all this we have the ymgarl factor to adjust accordingly and OA just to make all that damage just a pinch more deadly (re-rollings ones with everything that wounds on 2+, and your psychics to add what ever legging they offer

again a bit pricey but can make for a deadly unit combined with a legion of tie up units (like a full infiltrator list) can make choosing the correct target all the harder for your opponent

Post subject: Re: new tyrant load out?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:13 am 
Little One

Hey Forest,

that's more or less the mighty templant that one of the other board members has created (Krewl Rain maybe?), except without the Ymgarl factor because it's incredibly pricey for what it does (seen as it only works for that round of combat). Also, I believe you can only choose 1 weapon for overwatch, so you would have to pick only 1 of the 2 template weapons.

Saying all that, it would still be worth a try to see how he plays out. In my experience, tyrants of all flavours become rather big bullet magnets and go down incredibly quickly without the right protection. The new formation with the winged tyrant and gargoyle retinue might be perfect for this kind of expensive tyrant though, keeping it alive longer to deal the damage.

Cheers!
Iron Nid.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:36 pm 
Big One

i was unaware someone else has posted the build so didn't mean to take anyone else's credit. but as for the over-watch yes i believe your only supposed to select 1 weapon but thorax swarm is allowed to fire in addition to your other weapons, same as you would be allowed to fire all 3 weapons and assault, i believe thorax should still fire in addition even on over watch.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:01 pm 
Big One

Forest wrote:
i was unaware someone else has posted the build so didn't mean to take anyone else's credit. but as for the over-watch yes i believe your only supposed to select 1 weapon but thorax swarm is allowed to fire in addition to your other weapons, same as you would be allowed to fire all 3 weapons and assault, i believe thorax should still fire in addition even on over watch.

Overwatch you fire like normal, except it snap shots so a MC can fire 2 of its weapons. So if you have 3 weapons, then you need to pick 2. For an infantry model that can only fire 1, then you just pick one in case you have multiple options.

Also-overall I don't really like blasts/large blasts on a tyrant because one of its main uses it to deal with enemy flyers and blasts/large blasts can't do that, nids already have lots to deal with infantry at range. just take 3-9 biovores and no amount of troops will ever worry you lol.

5000 Eldar
5500 Marines

In that order!!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:05 pm 
Big One

its just a idea, cause i normally do double-dev flyrant, double-dev carnifex(s), and hive guard for anti air. so trying to maximize the models i have over buying new ones is goal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:16 pm 
Big One

Forest wrote:
its just a idea, cause i normally do double-dev flyrant, double-dev carnifex(s), and hive guard for anti air. so trying to maximize the models i have over buying new ones is goal

Your tyrants will do better anti air that hive guard unless you get lucky with them, that saves the hive guard to go after rhinos, wave serpents, etc etc. Magnetizing tyrants is a great idea because then you can try out all kinds of crazy crap!

5000 Eldar
5500 Marines

In that order!!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:22 pm 
Big One

all 3 tyrants are magnetized and at least 3 fexes but still trying to plan up till i can get back into the gameshop

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:03 am 
Biotitan

Templant thread is still on the first page: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17526

I have a Tyrant with a Stranglethorn and Miasma Cannon. It's just a walking Tyrant though, with the intention of being the Warlord with Guards, and playing hard to kill, while being a ranged template prick. Sadly, that weapon combo is only good against xenos armies and hordes. I found it a bit lackluster against anything with decent saves.

Your Tyrant seems to want to do too much at once, and costs way too many points too with how easy they can be killed.

Stranglethorns are better for walking, not flying, and can be a bit lackluster. If you want a flying Stranglethorn, use a Harpy.

Miasma Cannon can be a walker and flyer weapon with its dual firing mode, but you really gotta just stick to one game plan. A walking blast template monster, or a flying flame template CC beast.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:42 am 
Big One

some good points, im trying to imagine the mot troublesome squads/broods/ect. from every opponent as one OP army. then think of the combos that would be most efficient to handle each situation all to once. and again trying to maximize my models over buying new ones mostly because the game shop was enforcing "if theirs a model for it use". i believe because people were showing up with legions of small boxes and such and using them as armies and someone rumored they were changing their positions just a pinch during the game. although a single proxy or such is probably ok its still better to do WYSIWYG just for the bragging rights if nothing else.

guess if it helps what im looking at is opponent wise.
chaos/daemons: 2 turkeys, defiler that never misses its pie plate, a hand-full of obliterators, abbadon, 1-3 daemon prince(s)
tau: 2x 3 man squads of broad suits, 1-2 riptides, 3-5 gunships with missile barrage and rail guns, and a 3-5 fat squads of fire warriors.
SM: 2 full squads of SS/TH terminators 1 with character other with librarian, aegis line with squad,
necron: 2 boats, 1-2 Triarch Stalker, and 1-3 scythes (mixed nights and dooms)
and as for the others IG, SOB, eldar ect. have threats but they are all reasonably balanced with my lists so no real cheap moves if i see any of them.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:21 am 
Big One

Forest wrote:
some good points, im trying to imagine the mot troublesome squads/broods/ect. from every opponent as one OP army. then think of the combos that would be most efficient to handle each situation all to once. and again trying to maximize my models over buying new ones mostly because the game shop was enforcing "if theirs a model for it use". i believe because people were showing up with legions of small boxes and such and using them as armies and someone rumored they were changing their positions just a pinch during the game. although a single proxy or such is probably ok its still better to do WYSIWYG just for the bragging rights if nothing else.

guess if it helps what im looking at is opponent wise.
chaos/daemons: 2 turkeys, defiler that never misses its pie plate, a hand-full of obliterators, abbadon, 1-3 daemon prince(s)
tau: 2x 3 man squads of broad suits, 1-2 riptides, 3-5 gunships with missile barrage and rail guns, and a 3-5 fat squads of fire warriors.
SM: 2 full squads of SS/TH terminators 1 with character other with librarian, aegis line with squad,
necron: 2 boats, 1-2 Triarch Stalker, and 1-3 scythes (mixed nights and dooms)
and as for the others IG, SOB, eldar ect. have threats but they are all reasonably balanced with my lists so no real cheap moves if i see any of them.

I hate to just stress dakkatyrants more and more, but they will do well vs the chaos turkeys, obliterators and daemon princes, any blasts/templates will be less effective. Against SM, their 3+ and 2+ armour means you just want to get as many wounds as possible so the S6 helps with that. Necrons you also want as many devourers as possible to deal with the flyers, blasts/templates can't touch them. Tau are the only army list you posted that the templates/blasts will work really well against because they have a bunch of fire warriors, broadsides etc.

I think you just want more dakka. Like KrewL RaiN says, if your guy was walking it would be a different story, but a flyrant without dakka is not taking advantage of one of the main reasons that it is a flyer! Very rarely would I take a CC tyrant, but really that's only because of the new gargoyle formation.

For example-here is a new list I am toying with. It has lots of dakka, a bunch of gaunts to tie things up, one really big dedicated CC unit, 3 fexes to deal with AV13/14 and tons of cover saves with 5 synapse units. It sounds like you have most of what it would take to make something similar to this.
1850 Nids-Fexes and Formation

HQ 1 Flyrant with DD 230
1 Flyrant with DD 230

H 1 Carnifexs with DD *2 and AG 165
1 Carnifexs with DD *2 and AG 165
1 Carnifexs with DD *2 and AG 165

E 1 Venomthrope 45
1 Venomthrope 45
1 Venomthrope 45

T 11 Termagants 44
10 Termagants 40
10 Termagants 40
3 Warriors 90
Barbed 10
3 Warriors 90
Barbed 10

Form 1 Flyrant Claws, Reaper and ESG 265
15 Gargoyles 90
10 Gargoyles with TS 80
2+ LOS, one unit, +6 Synapse

Models 71 Total Points 1849

5000 Eldar
5500 Marines

In that order!!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:55 am 
Big One

my biggest worry is like double devfexes and tyrants is they are all slow (except flyrants) and are very expensive. and trying to balance out troops for objectives with MCs output damage im just having trouble finding a balance. in 6th i was using 2 flyrants and 2-3 harpys with 2-6 dev fexes very effiencent when the harpies had HVC, but of course this left me with minimal troops and loosing just one unit pretty much crippled.

i want that same output and survivals if not better but my real concern is the objectives, if i cant hold them im dead in the water without exterminating every model my opponent has.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:11 pm 
Big One

Forest wrote:
my biggest worry is like double devfexes and tyrants is they are all slow (except flyrants) and are very expensive. and trying to balance out troops for objectives with MCs output damage im just having trouble finding a balance. in 6th i was using 2 flyrants and 2-3 harpys with 2-6 dev fexes very effiencent when the harpies had HVC, but of course this left me with minimal troops and loosing just one unit pretty much crippled.

i want that same output and survivals if not better but my real concern is the objectives, if i cant hold them im dead in the water without exterminating every model my opponent has.

Just remember that everything can hold objectives now, you don't need troops to do so. I have seen solid nid lists with either 2 sets of 3 deep striking rippers or now 2 mucolid spores as the only troops! Just take advantage of cover as much as you can and you should always get some extra survivability.

5000 Eldar
5500 Marines

In that order!!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:18 pm 
Big One

i don't have the 7th edition rule book so im still figuring the rules out via battle reports and what should carry over from 6th. but if everything is scoring now then flooding rippers and skyslashers sounds like a fun idea, i have 96 bases so far and more rippers comming

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:20 pm 
Big One

Forest wrote:
i don't have the 7th edition rule book so im still figuring the rules out via battle reports and what should carry over from 6th. but if everything is scoring now then flooding rippers and skyslashers sounds like a fun idea, i have 96 bases so far and more rippers comming

Oh yes, if you are just coming back, that is what you need more than anything, to digest the 7th ed rules! There are some small changes that make a huge impact.

5000 Eldar
5500 Marines

In that order!!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:26 pm 
Big One

so i keep hearing but non the less till i can collect enough soda bottles to buy the book im stuck scheming and youtube