Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Paint stripping discussion
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:56 am 
The Red Terror

Not for paint but I was wondering if there was a cheap, safe, and easy to use chemical for stripping greenstuff?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:51 pm 
Norn Queen wut can has cookie

so far I've noticed with the oven cleaner, that greenstuff goes soft and rubbery and be quite easily removed after prolonged exposure.

Hive Fleet Charybdis

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:17 pm 
Great Devourer

I second Vonny's recommendation. Over cleaner works and ticks 2 of your boxes. It is very, very cheap, it is kinda easy top use, but in no way is it safe. :P :wink:

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:37 am 
The Red Terror

And for my second question!

Is there an easy way to break superglue bonds on plastic models. I was reading around and people suggested freezing them, but that doesn't seem to work.

I desperately need to beef up my warrior support!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:50 am 
Hydraphant

Depending on the thickness of the parts and the gue you use, i would try to break it off... otherwise... did anyone try warm water? Or aceton-free nail polish?

"I'm gona sing the DOOM-song now: DOOm, DOOOMDOOOOOM,DOM, DOOOOOHM,DOOM...."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:20 pm 
Norn Queen wut can has cookie

oven cleaner seemed to work for me, but that wasn't a very strong bond to begin with and I most likely would've been able to break them off too.

Hive Fleet Charybdis

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:01 am 
Little One

Hive Node wrote:
Is there an easy way to break superglue bonds on plastic models. I was reading around and people suggested freezing them, but that doesn't seem to work.

Have you tried using a CA debonder? I've not had occasion to need it, but it's a purpose-made substance for breaking superglue bonds.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:51 am 
Hatchling

Bit of an odd one, but Orange oil brand air freshener works fantastic on metal. Just give the model a good spray, wait five minutes, and give it a wash under the tap. You might need to do that twice if it's thick paint.

Be real careful around plastic though, a test on a bit of sprue left a gray puddle of goo.

Hate to be a pain, but my sister will kill me if you don't watch this:
http://youtu.be/kuNjk23Mz1g

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:42 am 
Hatchling

Most people on this forum seems to agree that Simple Green is definitely one of the better paint stripping tools. So I went to my local Bunnings to pick up a bottle and was confronted by about 6 different varieties of Simple Green ranging from All purpose through to Yaleling's BBQ cleaner. So is there a particular type of SG i should be using, or is anything other than the BBQ cleaner okay to use?

MightyWeasel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:33 pm 
Great Devourer

You really need the concentrate version. The others seem to be great at cleaning dirt and grease but are useless for taking off paint.

I can take a photo of my last bottle if you want me to mate. I'm looking for a replacement though. Bunnings was the only store around here that used to stock it, and they haven't had the concentrate in for several months now. :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:11 pm 
Hatchling

Yaleling wrote:
I can take a photo of my last bottle if you want me to mate. I'm looking for a replacement though. Bunnings was the only store around here that used to stock it, and they haven't had the concentrate in for several months now. :cry:

Probably a good idea. Like I said, there were alot of different varieties, so even knowing it's the concentrate i'm looking for is a big help.

Cheers,

MightyWeasel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:19 am 
Great Devourer

Sure thing mate.
[Open in new window]

It is a more vivid green when you buy it new. (Mine is aging a bit.)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:35 am 
Hatchling

Cheers for that Yale. I think the bottles I saw were a lighter green, probably diluted. I'll drop by tomorrow and see if they still stock the 'proper stuff' here.

MightyWeasel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:03 pm 
Great Devourer

Since my supply of simple green is running out I decided to try another cheap, effective and easily sourced stripper that I'd heard worked well - household Dettol. Dropped some models in it and left them for 2 days and discovered:
  • It works brilliantly. With other strippers I've found metal models came out tarnished, but the ones I dipped in dettol came out shiny and new. The paint just sloughed of in a runny goopy mess. Did no harm to plastic and got almost all the paint out of the crevasses too.
  • It is messy. That runny goopy paint that came off got everywhere and the only thing that could clean it up was more dettol. Next time I use it I'll clean off the miniatures outside. (On the bright side every surface in my bathroom got a good disinfecting. :wink: )
  • I know dettol is meant for use on humans, but if you read the instructions it is meant to be diluted 1:20 before being used as a disinfectant. I'll never again touch the undiluted stuff with bare skin. Rubber gloves from now on!

All in all dettol worked better than anything I've ever used to strip paint of miniatures before. It is reasonably cheap and very accessible. But while a lot safer than oven cleaner it is not as safe as simple green was.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6