Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Converting 40k to Space Hulk
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:53 pm 
Carnifex

Hey, all. I just thought that I'd have a crack at making a working Space Hulk game using the current 40k rules. All you need to know really, are the Warhammer 40,000 rules.

So, here's how it goes:

FORCES

There are usuallly two players: a Marine player and a Tyranid player. The Marine player can spend 225 points on Tactical Squad members, Terminator Squad members, any HQ below 125 points and a single Heavy Support choice(no tanks!). The Tyranid player, however, can spend 450 points however he wishes. Any Troops bought will respawn at a "Spawn point". Everything else with the exception of Raveners and Warriors are dead for good once they are killed. There are no restrictions or minimums for choice selection on either side.

TERRAIN
The Terrain should count as impassable. It should restrict models to inner pathways and rooms, which should be big enough for about nine or more models. Doors are a must, and should be placed halfway down ever hallway and/or at the entrance point to each room. The game is generally played on a 4'x4' or smaller board. Note also that you should have some objective markers handy. In addition, the whole complex counts as an inner facility, so therefore artillary will explode on top of the firer whenever it is used.

MOVEMENT
Each model moves as in the Warhammer 40,000 movement rules. However, if they come to a door, they must give up an inch of movement in order to open or destroy it. Otherwise, they may not proceed.
In addition, Genestealers count as having Fleet.
In regards to Space Marines, any model within 2" of another counts as being in that model's Squad. Any model breaking unit coherency counts as a seperate Squad until they are within 2" of another model. In the case of Tyranids, all models are assumed to be under constant Synapse and each moves individually. In order to keep things fairly simple, one Fleet roll is made for the whole force. Any models that have the Fleet special rule moce this far in the Shooting phase if they choose not to fire.

OBJECTIVES
In Warhammer 40,000 Space Hulk, the Tyranids are guarunteed to win unless there are objectives. You an your opponant must both agree to the objective. Here are some suggestions:

Secure the Area!
Each Tyranid "Spawn point" must have a door in front of it. When destroyed, the door will cause a chain reaction of hydrogen, nitrogen and many different types of metal. The Spawn point counts as destroyed. The Marines must destroy 75% of the Spawn points.

Retrieve the Plans!
There is a terminal somewhere in the Hulk determined by the Tyranid player. A Space Marine must spend a full turn in contact with it and then escape to the Exit Point. The files retrieved may be represented as a counter and pass from Marine to Marine in the movement or shooting phases. In the shooting phase, the Marine may throw the plans to an ally up to 12" away. Roll to hit as usual. If it was a hit, the plans are now carried by the other Marine.

Protect the Weapon!
In addition to his 160 points, the Space Marine player has a Dreadnought. The Tyranids must destroy the Dreadnought to win. If the Marine player destroys 500 points of TYranids, the Dreadnought is safe. However, the Dreadnought begins the game dormant. Each turn beggining from the 8th, the Marine player rolls a D6. If it is a 6, the Dreadnought is awakened and may fight as normal.

SPECIAL RULES
In Warhammer 40,000 Space Hulk, there is a small amount of rules to represent the happenings of the battlefield.

Spawn Point
In every game, there are four to six Tyranid Spawn points. Each turn, the Tyranid player rolls a D6 for each spawn point. He then places a counter with the number rolled on the down side. This is the amount of Troop bases represented by that "blip". For Reveners, it is half that number rounded up. However, each blip may only contain a single Troop type of to the maximum number of that Troop selected by the Tyranid player. For example, a player rolls a 6. He decides that that 6 will represent 6 Genestealers. He bought 12 Genestealers in his 320 points, but he already has 8 on the field, therefore he may only put down four Stealers unless the blip is revealed after others have died.
Note that Warrior Squads ALWAYS come in threes.
If a blip is not a Troop choice or a Ravener brood, then place a symbol on the down side representing what the blip represents. Note that Carnifexes and Hive Tyrants do not use blips: they're so huge, anyone would know what they are.
Once a blip comes into the line of sight of a Marine, it may act as normal.

Exit Point
Sometimes, a Marine will have to leave the battle. If he makes it to an Exit Point, then he may. If he leaves the battle, he may not come back! Dreadnoughts may not use Exit Points. Note that usually an Exit Point should be at the point the Marines started at or on the other side of the board.

Into the Rafters!
Some especially lithe Tyranid creatures can take advantage of ventilation shafts and the like. To represent this, the Tyranid player may remove any Genestealers, Lictors, or Leaping Warriors from the board during his turn. They may not move, assault, or shoot during that turn.
In the next turn, however, they may move, assault, but not shoot out of their concealed area. They may also move through it, although they may not Fleet while doing so. The Tyranid player may use a counter to represent where the creature is, and it may move up to 6" each turn. While hidden, the Tyranid cannot be shot at or assaulted.

P.S Thanks for your input, Lil' Ripper. :D

So, what do you think? I haven't playtested these yet, but I think they'll work out fairly well.

(><)
(_l_) This is bunny, copy him and paste him into your signature if you want to help him dominate the world.

Last edited by Tyrant Malystryx on Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:01 pm 
Biomass

Nice start! :D

There are some items you should consider, though...

FORCES - What are the squad-size minimums and conditions for carrying Special or Heavy weapons? The points you allow for Marines are insufficient to purchase any Cyclone Missile Launchers [CML] or Assault Cannon [AC] for Terminators - this needs to be rectified, as not being able to take such weapons would be a complete disincentive to try the game.

Minimum points for a stock Terminator squad are 200 points. 225 would be required to purchase one CML or one AC and have 5 points left over.

The points you allow for the Marine HQ means that the Marine player is effectively limited to a Captain if the Marine wants to have the HQ in Terminator Armor with a Power Weapon (actually, 105 would be the minimum for a Captain, Terminator Armor, Storm Bolter and Power Weapon). Is this the intention, or may the player take a Librarian or Chaplain in Terminator Armor? If so, you will need to increase the amount of points allowed for the HQ - I recommend 145, as this will allow the highest-ranking Librarian with Terminator Armor, his stock equipment, and the choice of Storm Bolter. You should not allow any of the new Psychic Power choices for the Librarian as they could be unbalancing... maybe.

How many points for the single Heavy Support choice (I assume you refer to Devastator squad)? You should just say Devastator squad is the only Heavy Support choice allowed for this game.

If you increase the points for the Marine, then you should probably increase the points for the Tyranid, maybe by an equal amount or double the amount?

TERRAIN - If you intend for the Marine player to use the Dreadnought, you will need to specify that some Hallways must be at least the width of the base of the Dreadnought.

OBJECTIVES - what is Armor Value of the Door? I recommend an Armor Value of at least 12, which would mean a Marine or Terminator with a Power Fist or a Krak Missile would need to roll a 4 or better to Penetrate. Does the Marine need to roll to hit the Door, or is a hit automatic?

Regarding the Plans - what if you failed to hit the intended recipient of the Plans? What happens then? I recommend it scatter D6" from the base of the recipient....

Regarding the Dreadnought - does it stay off-board until the time it is no longer Dormant? If it's on-board from the beginning of the game, what happens if the Tyranid player attacks it? Does it activate then? Is there a
possibility that it activates then? What would the Marine player need to roll if the Dreadnought could activate if attacked?

My 2 cents....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:33 pm 
Haruspex

i agree with many of these points. increased point costs are a must, 160 points for marines is almost nothingin creasing to maybe 500 points each player seems to me like a reasonable idea, but i haven't ever played hulk so i don't know.

i am the anti-dip

i am of the motherland!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:12 pm 
Carnifex

Lil' Ripper wrote:
Nice start! :D

There are some items you should consider, though...

FORCES - What are the squad-size minimums and conditions for carrying Special or Heavy weapons? The points you allow for Marines are insufficient to purchase any Cyclone Missile Launchers [CML] or Assault Cannon [AC] for Terminators - this needs to be rectified, as not being able to take such weapons would be a complete disincentive to try the game.

Minimum points for a stock Terminator squad are 200 points. 225 would be required to purchase one CML or one AC and have 5 points left over.

The points you allow for the Marine HQ means that the Marine player is effectively limited to a Captain if the Marine wants to have the HQ in Terminator Armor with a Power Weapon (actually, 105 would be the minimum for a Captain, Terminator Armor, Storm Bolter and Power Weapon). Is this the intention, or may the player take a Librarian or Chaplain in Terminator Armor? If so, you will need to increase the amount of points allowed for the HQ - I recommend 145, as this will allow the highest-ranking Librarian with Terminator Armor, his stock equipment, and the choice of Storm Bolter. You should not allow any of the new Psychic Power choices for the Librarian as they could be unbalancing... maybe.

How many points for the single Heavy Support choice (I assume you refer to Devastator squad)? You should just say Devastator squad is the only Heavy Support choice allowed for this game.

If you increase the points for the Marine, then you should probably increase the points for the Tyranid, maybe by an equal amount or double the amount?

TERRAIN - If you intend for the Marine player to use the Dreadnought, you will need to specify that some Hallways must be at least the width of the base of the Dreadnought.

OBJECTIVES - what is Armor Value of the Door? I recommend an Armor Value of at least 12, which would mean a Marine or Terminator with a Power Fist or a Krak Missile would need to roll a 4 or better to Penetrate. Does the Marine need to roll to hit the Door, or is a hit automatic?

Regarding the Plans - what if you failed to hit the intended recipient of the Plans? What happens then? I recommend it scatter D6" from the base of the recipient....

Regarding the Dreadnought - does it stay off-board until the time it is no longer Dormant? If it's on-board from the beginning of the game, what happens if the Tyranid player attacks it? Does it activate then? Is there a
possibility that it activates then? What would the Marine player need to roll if the Dreadnought could activate if attacked?

My 2 cents....

A few points: anything goes as long as it's normally legal. That means Dreadnoughts can be taken in every scenario, if the Marine player wishes. Also, I discourage the use of the Space Hulk board peices; make some terrain.
Regarding the Dreadnought- The Marine player chooses a point on the tabletop to place the Dread. Then, 225 points of Marines stand around it, trying to wake it up. It cannot be woken from damage.

(><)
(_l_) This is bunny, copy him and paste him into your signature if you want to help him dominate the world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:31 am 
Biomass

Once again I must congratulate you, I've been trying to re-awaken space hulk so I can trash my friends with my bugs at that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:51 pm 
Carnifex

Trahing your friends is what the 'Nids were made for. Now, go trash 'em. And use the ducts to your advantage.

:lol:

I love that rule.

(><)