Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Warpshadow Competition 6 - Swarm Diversity
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:38 pm 
The Red Terror

Tarna opened her eyes, forced from her dream by the violent rumbling. She clambered out of her bed and rushed through the living area of her home without skipping a beat. Swinging open the door to her children’s bedroom she urged the two siblings out of bed. Her first thought was that it was an earthquake, as the region she lived in was prone to them, but as she and her children left their home for the safety of the streets and looked up at the early morning sky horror sunk into the pit of their stomach.

The cool air was thick with a red mist the smell of which reminded Tarna of giving birth, and a casual glance upwards revealed dozens of fleshy bags falling to the ground, their impacts causing the incessant tremors. Tarna’s youngest daughter; Tash clutched her stuffed animal and began to cry, as her older sister; Sima begged for their father to return.

Tarna and her children lost their balance as a deep cracking sound was issued from beneath their feet and several worm-like creatures burst from the ground, their mouths opening up like a flower made of knives and sickles. The closest creature grabbed Sima by the arm, rending her flesh; Tarna grabbed onto her daughter and fought with all of her strength but was soon dragged into the hellish hole that the beast appeared from. Tash began to run into her house as she heard her family’s last screams.

Several hours later a Tauros assault vehicle rolled by the house, its flamer gushing liquid promethium onto the horde of alien creatures. A local militiaman holding onto the hand railing looked towards the home and saw the bloody holes in the ground and a dirty stuffed animal lying in the dirt. He began to weep.

Hello all you bugs!

I’m happy to announce the creation of a brand new Warpshadow contest. We’re able to host this one thanks to the generosity of one of our members; Sofacoin!

Purpose:
This month we’ll be having a competition based solely on the swarmy guys, specifically:
  • Hormagaunts
  • Termagants
  • Gargoyles
  • Tyranid Warriors
  • Tyranid Shrikes
  • Genestealers (with or without Broodlord)

You may choose one of the units from the above list and modify it or scratch-build it in a way that illustrates the constantly evolving nature of the Tyranids. You could build floating devourer-headed Termagants, small drone-ship looking Gargoyles or burrowing worm-like Hormagaunts, the choice is yours. Additionally you must submit a minimum sized brood (10 Hormagaunts) but feel free to make more.

Dates:

Contest Opens: Wednesday, June 1st, 2011
Contest Closes: Thursday, June 30th, 2011
Voting Opens: Friday, July 1st, 2011
Voting Closes: Friday, July 15th, 2011

How to Enter:

There will be a single gallery for this contest opened in the Survival of the Fittest album. To enter, Private Message me here with links to your entry and I will create a sub-album titled with “Entries Name – Your Username” in the appropriate folder, where I will upload the photos manually. This will allow members to post multiple angles and shots of your creation.

This is located here:
http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Paintcontest/littleones/

Contest Guidelines:

1) Models must be either scratch-built or kit-bashes of official Forge World/Games-Workshop models.
2) Submissions must be complete.
3) Submissions do not have to painted (but they can be).
4) When photographing your submissions please make sure they’re on a light background with a good light source.
5) Your model must be a new or unfinished (so conversions previously started but never finished are welcome).
6) Your entry must be the minimum brood size for your selection.

Prizes:

This month, the winner of the contest will win a brand new TRYGON kit complements of Sofacoin!
[Open in new window]

Rules:

1) Only one submission may be entered per contest. Any submissions that are entered may not be retracted in favour of another submission.
2) Submissions must be completed to the full guidelines of the contest to be considered for voting.
3) Each member gets one vote per poll, and the vote may not be changed once cast.
4) You may vote for your own entry if you wish (voting is anonymous).
5) When voting we ask you to consider the appeal of the painting or modeling of the piece and the overall composition.
6) Polling topics are reserved for questions and comments regarding the polls, discussion of models entered in the competition should be reserved for their respective topics (do not be afraid to make a W.I.P. thread).
7) Polls will be run for the stated amount of time. No additional votes will be considered after that date has passed.

Post subject: Re: Warpshadow Competition 5 - Swarm Diversity
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:46 pm 
Biotitan

So with the model evolutions, does it have to be an extremely drastic change or maybe a slight evolutionary look? This contest would get me cracking at my devilgaunt brood. I wanted to make devilgaunts look different from their lesser kin, because they have more dakka!

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:49 pm 
The Red Terror

Just a slight change is fine. If you want to do Rupture cannon style devilgaunts by all means.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:31 pm 
Monstrosity

This was well timed... I just finished some Warmachine mini's and wanted to do something Niddy!

Was talking to Vonny who said Hormags, but if I'm converting then I think I'll leave the Hormags standard and make myself some Shrike action.

Pteroshrikes... At least that's what I'm going for.
Ordered some Bio Swords from Oni cos you just gotta have Boneswords!

NOW, where did I leave my Greenstuff?

Hive Fleet Munchkin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:52 am 
Broodling

This makes me happy i never assembled my christmas gifts. Can this also be Ygmryl stealers??????

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:43 pm 
Medium One

I really want to do this, I'm finishing up some hormagaunts so why not make them special?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:34 pm 
Hive Tyrant

I Think with one spring course done and with the other one half done I think I'll have time for it, and hopefuly my ideas work out, all I can say it'll be Termagaunts one way or another.

Termagant: A stock character, replaceable.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:40 pm 
Biotitan

Hive Node wrote:
Just a slight change is fine. If you want to do Rupture cannon style devilgaunts by all means.

How did you know I was going to do them rupture cannon style, like my T-Fex xD Test gaunt has a chest mounted devourer and it actually worked out in the end. Gun even has its own tiny cute eyeballs lol. T-Fex will be happy to have some chest gun buddies!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:06 am 
Screamer Killer

Question:

I've already got one shrike partially completed, and this could be motivation to flesh out the brood. That being said, as I've already posted some shots of that shrike, is it disqualified?

Mr_Pink's Tyranid Blog For Art and Sculpting and Stuff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:12 am 
The Red Terror

Since you and a few others have voiced their disinterest in that rule I've modified it in a way that still prevents what I was originally objecting against.

Models that are finished (i.e. completely painted/converted and have been posted on the internet) are not allowed to be submitted. In other words only models that have been previously started but unfinished are allowed to be entered.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:25 am 
Big One

Hive Node wrote:
Since you and a few others have voiced their disinterest in that rule I've modified it in a way that still prevents what I was originally objecting against.

Models that are finished (i.e. completely painted/converted and have been posted on the internet) are not allowed to be submitted. In other words only models that have been previously started but unfinished are allowed to be entered.

...With the obvious addendum that yes, it is completely fine to use models that have not been "previously started"; starting a brand new project to enter is very much encouraged!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:59 am 
Hatchling

Ooh.. I have an idea.

-{Genestealers + kevin bacon = ?}-

Hate to be a pain, but my sister will kill me if you don't watch this:
http://youtu.be/kuNjk23Mz1g

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:07 am 
The Red Terror

Genestealers with the ability to absord energy??

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:17 am 
Hatchling

Nope, blind, heat seeking, and all jaws and legs. Shriekers!

(Yeah, I'd forgotten Kevin wasn't in tremors 2, guess it's time to watch them again :D )

Hate to be a pain, but my sister will kill me if you don't watch this:
http://youtu.be/kuNjk23Mz1g

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:06 am 
The Red Terror

Oh right, when Kevin Bacon was still a baby :3

I was refering to his role in X-men: First Class :lol:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next