Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

What contest theme would you like to do?
Ghosts of the Brood II: The Swarmlord 16%  16%  [ 11 ]
Ghosts of the Brood II: Doom of Malan'tai 31%  31%  [ 21 ]
Non-combatants 31%  31%  [ 21 ]
Tyrannofex 21%  21%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 67
 Post subject: Survival of the Fittest: Warpshadow Competition 4
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 1:14 am 
The Red Terror

Hello all,

Just wanted to let you now that a new contest will be starting on June 1st. Until then, let's decide what you; the members would like to do as a contest.

Post subject: Re: Survival of the Fittest: Warpshadow Competition 4
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 5:25 am 
Little One

I really like all of the ideas presented but a non combatant wile not very useable would be really interesting!
However does this mean we can enter previously made things?
I have a swarmlord and for certain reasons which are clear I wouldn't want to make another but I haven't been here long so I thought I woud ask.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:01 am 
Little One

I'm rather taken by the idea of the non-combatants. Besides, if you want to use it, perhaps it could find a place as an objective. After all, the hive mind is going to want to protect these non-combat types, and their enemies might see it as a good target in an attempt to disrupt the invasion process.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:46 am 
Broodling

Non-combatants seems a good idea. Maybe this will be the first competition in which I participate.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:33 am 
Hatchling

Wouldn't it be better to have a more open competition?

For example "Monstrous Creature", "Warrior-size", "Special Character" or "Flyer".

I believe this would make for a competition with more diversity in the entries and, most importantly, more entries. I don't know about the rest of you but what I enjoy the most about these competitions is seeing all the entries and getting inspired for future conversions.

The last competitions 9 entries show that making a niche character like the parasite, though fun, is not a model that most people plan on making. (Note that I know that the tervigon had a lot of entries, something I attribute to the fact that the tervigon is a very useful unit that most want to include in their lists, unlike the parasite). Units like the Swarmlord or tyrannofex are also a bit too "niche" since they are both units that are financially expensive to make and most useful in games of 2000pts or more, leaving out the people who have just started their army and might be building their first 1000pts.

However, if the category would be say "Monstrous Creature" the new players could enter a fex/tervigon/trygon, the veterans who already have a couple of thousand points can build a Swarmlord and those who feel like it can convert a MC non-combatant and enter.

This would also not leave out the "old" units or units that have models. Just because the trygon and the carnifex have models doesn't mean they can't make for kick-ass conversions, as this forum has proven many times ;)

So in short: More open competition - > more freedom -> more entries - > more kick-ass models - > everybody wins

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 2:52 pm 
Biomass

Hey all,

Although i am new to the forum and recently returning to 40k after a looong break (10yrs..lol), i would to have to agree with SwarmTyrant, a more open competition would possibly suit more members, giving people the scope to model/ convert something useable,i myself would be suited to a more open comp, as my own nids themselves are barely out of the spawning pool, though i am hoping to be converting a Tervigon from carnifex/trygon kits (can't promise it will look anything like one mind..lol. :mrgreen: ).

Looking forward to see what is decided, never know, might even spur me on to come up with a colour scheme lol :?

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 3:14 pm 
Trygon

I really want to do this contest bu I don't want to buy 45$ kit to participate. I would rather get a tyrannofex as some backup to finish mine.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 3:45 pm 
Little One

i would personally like to see a contest for conversions of warriors into primes, and the creation of the harpy...

the doom is just too much cheese for my armies, the swarmlord is also something i dont have in my army yet, and not sure if i plan on it. non-combattants are an interesting idea, but not sure what i would make for it.

so that just leaves the old t-fex. i happen to have a scratchbuilt body i was thinking of turning into one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 5:05 pm 
Biomass

I voted for Tyrannofex, because I think it would be a fun model, and it would stimulate me to make one. I am afraid the swarmlords would all look pretty close, and there are a lot of dooms out there already. You see the least amount of tyrannofexs, (tyrannofi? Tyrannofexes? Tyrannofeces?) out on the web at the moment.

I will be excited to enter no matter what we do.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 5:12 pm 
Broodling

I say Swarm lord, Harpy, Tyrannofex, Doom of malantai, or TITANS. I have a Tyranid Dominatrix That I needs a reason to finish getting painted, and a good old contest might be enough reason too.

Either way I have all of the entries already done. just need to do better paint jobs.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:34 pm 
Medium One

Never say Tyrannofeces again.

I voted Swarmlord. I can see some of the heavy-hitters here pulling of some REALLY amazing stuff. It can be pretty easy to make one - slap some sword-looking things on a Tyrant and you're good. But it's such a mean beasty that I think there's a lot of potential.

I'm also wondering, can we submit works we've already started?

Hive Mind Success record: W:7 L:9 D:2
Eat Termagants, Bloody Avatar!

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:49 pm 
Medium One

I say Swarmlord. I think it would be nice to see other people's ideas about it. After all, (correct me if I'm wrong) there is no "official" Swarmlord figure. Nor do I think there is an official picture of a Swarmlord. So it would be cool to see what people think the Swarmlord would look like. It would be probably the most creative choice because it could combine tyrant(s) parts and carnifex(es) bits and Zoanthrope structures and maybe Broodlord parts.

Additionally, I have no idea what non-combatants are. What are non-combatants?

Also, the Doom Of Malan'tai is pointless. There are already pictures of it and kinda figures. I don't think repeating that would be benefical.

The Tyrannofex is probably the second best choice. Many people would benefit from it, not to mention USE it. It would be a fun build and always easy to make. This category would bring in a lot of entries.

In the end, this contest is for who gets a Trygon. The Doom of Malan'tai would definitely not be worth a trygon. It would be unoriginal and uncreative. The Tyrannofex would cost $$ along with the Swarmlord. To buy materials means devotion. That would be worth the Trygon. I can't comment on non-combatants because I do not know what they are (help please?). Either way it goes, I'd be eager to see the participants' creations.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:56 pm 
The Red Terror

Yes, finished products can be submitted. If completed though, I strongly suggest painting it. I'll also be upping the requirements for photographs, just so we can get some high quality images for the contest.

@SwarmTyrant

I see where you're coming from, and I think your ideas are solid. Something like a "Monstrous Creature" competion could be done (excluding the Unique Tyrands, I believe they are special enough to deserve their own contests). The reason I'm hesitant to do this kind of contest though, is because it really limits contests in the future. So instead of one month going "Mawlocs!" and then next month going "Carnifex Painting Competition!", and then the next month going "HARPIES!", it'll instead go "Monstrous Creatures 1", "Monstrous Creatures 2", Monstrous Creatures 3", see what I mean?

But I'll assure you that next voting period I'll add that as a voting choice, and if you guys pick it, who am I to say no?

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:09 pm 
Monstrosity

I voted t-fex. I have no interest in making a DotM, but I do want to build a couple of T-fexes. Most people already have extra fexes anyways so for most it would probably be the cheapest.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:49 am 
Big One

hi buglovers,

i prefer the specialized contestmode for some reasons:
1) the whole hivemind will work in unison to create one specific model, but with all the many variation of different nornqueens breeding it.
2) it makes the jugding of the contest easier, because you "only"(juding models is never easy) have to compare different ways of building a specific model.
just think for an open competion where someone enters a warriorsized noncombatant and somebody else a complete hiveship.....
3) even if you don´t want to field a model in your army, you can add it to your collection for the sake of having it. and if you want to use it, you dont have to proxy it. you can even use it as a mission marker if you want (oh yes, a terrorfex might be a good mission maker...)

harald

http://www.pocitolocito.com
http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Hive-Fleet-Nautilus/

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next