Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New Space Hulk
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:52 am 
Biomass

Well, my copy arrived yesterday and I can say I'm verry imnpresed by the quality of the models, though most Genestealers come in pairs there is plenty of variety, and the Broodlord is quite large. The Terminators are all unique and all verry nice. I'm in the proces of painting the 'stealers, I'll try to get pics up when I'm done (or sooner if you want) and I can say now that basecoatinfg 22 models is hard, but at least the worst is over. The board itself is verry nice with plenty of different doors, including a tau door, cargo room style door, blood angles door ect. I love playing the 'stealers, stalking the marines before pouncing in anstoppable wave of tooth and claw, Iv'e played both first missions with my little brother and won both times, the first mission had my brother try to get the Heavy Flamer to the Saviour Pod room and burn it to prevent me form using them to leave the hulk. The second was an extermination mission a bit plain if you ask me). Anyway, both books are in full colour, and thers fluff about the Imperium, the Space Marines, the Blood Angles, the tyranids, focusing on the Genestealers, with a description of Genestealer Cults. The three minute timer never seems to finish before my brother is done, or either rush him, I dunno, maby it's because he never seems to think much before doing his turn anyway (did I ever say about the time he jumped a squad of Assault Marines onto a hill that was blocking line of sight between our armies unsupported and killed one Avenger (i was playing Eldar) with their bolt pistols, in plain sight of my entire army? Oh the hilarity that that caused :) )

Anyway, back to the set, I was a bit cautios at first because £60 seemed like a lot of money, but I'm glad I got this game, It's great.

(So yeah, pics up soon)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:01 am 
Big One

Cool, I'm picking mine up today. I never played the old version so I'm looking forward to this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:05 am 
Biomass

Me neither :)
It really is great

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:04 pm 
Biomass

All in all, a great set, but I have one issue.

Four of the Stealers in my set and the one at my local GW are missing one arm. It's like there's a ball joint, and then nothing.

Anyone else notice this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:28 pm 
Biomass

nope, all of my stealers are intact.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:33 pm 
Biomass

I meant the ones posed leaning to one side, with hands on one side held up in the air, and a hand on the other side holding a termy head. All those ones have no lower arm below the one holding the heads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:40 pm 
Genestealer

Plonker wrote:

Four of the Stealers in my set and the one at my local GW are missing one arm. It's like there's a ball joint, and then nothing.

Anyone else notice this?

Nope, mine were OK. Don't see how they screwed up though, the stealers are only 2 parts max.

Look At My Tyranids

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:54 pm 
Biomass

Iv'e just re-looked at the stealers you mentioned and I see what you mean, don't know how I missed it really...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:22 pm 
Biomass

I didn't notice until one guy at my local store pointed it out and I was like 'Wow, I never would've noticed before, but now I do it really bugs me.'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:05 pm 
Big One

Plonker wrote:

Anyone else notice this?
WOW, I didn't notice that. Other than that I'm impressed with it so far. I'm looking forward to playing my first game of Space Hulk. It was worth the money just for the models.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:23 pm 
Lictor - Genetic Scout

They are Gene hybrids full of mutations, thats why some have only 3 arms, others predator mouths etc. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:14 pm 
Genestealer

The only problem I have with Space hulk is not the models, but the rules: they are very much in the genestealer's favour :(

Look At My Tyranids

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:28 pm 
Great Devourer

Nidcron wrote:
The only problem I have with Space hulk is not the models, but the rules: they are very much in the genestealer's favour :(

I always thought that asymmetry in sides was one of the great strengths of space hulk. Most games, including GW games, cleave to the idea that both sides must be pretty much equal. Space Hulk ditches that altogether. The terminators are not just fighting impossible odds in the players imaginations, they have a real uphill battle in the game too. And I find even playing the 'stealers I am rooting for the underdog marine player. :D

It only becomes a problem if the players get overly attached to the idea of 'winning'.

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:59 am 
Lictor - Genetic Scout

Yaleling wrote:
Nidcron wrote:

I always thought that asymmetry in sides was one of the great strengths of space hulk. Most games, including GW games, cleave to the idea that both sides must be pretty much equal. Space Hulk ditches that altogether. The terminators are not just fighting impossible odds in the players imaginations, they have a real uphill battle in the game too. And I find even playing the 'stealers I am rooting for the underdog marine player. :D

It only becomes a problem if the players get overly attached to the idea of 'winning'.

Totally agree, not only its much more fluffy but its also much more fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:33 am 
Norn Queen wut can has cookie

I've found that the marines seem to get it easier when they rush themselves - not in terms of time, but in how far they get within a certain amount of turns. The first mission for example has a crucial t-section just past the first room, and if you don't get past that before the genestealers get there you'll have a hard time. If you get there before the stealers, you have a good chance of building up from there.

Basically, if the marines wait too long they have a good chance to get overwhelmed. Like they should be :)

Hive Fleet Charybdis