Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 22  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:05 pm 
Haruspex

the times when i actualy use a hive fleet of my own creation its called hive fleet trepedation, i looked up fear in a thesourus and trepedation sounded cool so i chose it, im lazy and i like it that way.

i am the anti-dip

i am of the motherland!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:00 pm 
Hatchling

Mine is colossus,as colossus basically means huge being and/or/with personified power,besides, it sounds cool!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:02 pm 
Screamer Killer

PeroYasha wrote:
Well, I have 4 army lists to represent what I believe the 4 stages of a Tyranid Invasion might look like:

1) Invasion - Loki
2) Scout (aka Lost Blue Skies) - Hel
3) Harvest (My default) - Jormungand
4) Razing (Formally Kerberos) - Fenrir

Wow, this is one old post, Peroyasha, but I only saw it now. It is curious because my fleet is set up in a similar manner; however, I call the whole fleet fenrir and use "Loki," "Jormugand," and "Hel" to refer to different TMCS in it.

Hive Fleet Fenrir

Hive Fleet Fenrir got its name from the similarity of its circumstances to the myth of Fenrir in old Norse Mythology. Fenrir was chained to a mountain and was destined to stay there until the coming of Ragnarok, the war of the Gods, when Fenrir would break free of his bonds and kill Odin, king of the Norse gods.

My fleet was created from the remains of a large spawning ship (from Hive Fleet Behemoth) that crashed on a jungle world. When the ship crashed on the planet, it bored its way into the surface, getting closer to the warm core of the planet (stolen from SNES game "Chrono Trigger"). Here it slumbered while the Tyranid constructs on board started leaking onto the surface of the planet and slowly transforming it into a hybrid Tyranid-jungle ecosystem. The ship remained grounded on the world until it could repair itself.

Once it was again capable of space travel, instead of lifting off, it began to convert the planet into one giant hive ship. It consumed the very bedrock and magma at the planet's core to feed its evolution. In the place of the bedrock, it grew new organs for creating tyranid organisms, and on the surface it grew new organs that would allow it to move the very planet through space (stolen from Mainframe TV show "Shadow Raiders/War Planets"). In this way, the ship used the planet's crust as a durable shell to protect it, while still preserving a mutated version of the planet's native ecosystem on the surface. This ship at the core of Hive Fleet Fenrir was the first recorded instance of a Tyranid planet ship.

The Harbinger of Ragnorok

Once the Tyranid planet breaks free of its restraints and begins to move, it will signal the coming of Ragnarok, the Tyranid invasion that will bring the hivefleets within striking distance of Terra and the Emperor.

Genetic Scout

Another unique feature of the fleet is the way in which it gathered new genetic material to rebuild itself after the crash. The original ship from Hive Fleet Behemoth carried a strain of lictor that was once imployed by the Hive Fleets for gathering genetic material ahead of a Tyranid invasion. This stain of Lictor was labeled as "genetic scout" by the Imperium, and it allowed swarms to adapt to the organisms on a given planet long before the actual fleet reached that planet.

One such lictor survived the ship's crash on he jungle world. By using the weakened synapse pulses of the crashed ship to attract a nearby genestealer cult to the jungle world, the Lictor was able to secure transport off the planet to seek new genetic material for the weakened hive ship to assimilate.

The cult worshiped the lictor like a god. Using tyranid pheremones and some kind of latent synapse ability, the lictor was able to communicate with the cult's magus and inform them of the lictor's role in gathering genetic material to rebuild the fallen hive ship and the broods it housed. The cult named the lictor Loki and ferried it across the imperium in their stolen starships, heping it to collect the genetic material needed by the swarm.

Naming Convention for TMCs

The naming system used for the TMC characters in the swarm and the broods spawned from them references Norse Mythology as well and is tied up int he idea of this genetic scout lictor being the progenitor of the swarm's current incarnation. Each of the TMC creatures has been named after a different Norse deity by the Genestealer Cult that worships Hive Fleet Fenrir.

Loki is the Uber-Lictor (Midnight Drake, Malin's Bane, Polocks Daemon, yet to be modeled) who was smart enough to nurse my fleet back to strength by hunting down new strains for incorporation.

Jormugand is my Red Terror who was the first child of Loki (Loki steals the DNA to create Jormugand in the Malin's Bane story on hivefleetmoloch.com) and was the basis for the raveners in my hive fleet.

Hel is my Old One Eye who was the second child of Loki (DNA stolen in some other event that has yet to be documented) and the basis of the large, regenerating Fexes in my swarm.

Fenrir has yet to be born (or modeled for that matter because I keep changing my mind on him) but will be modeled as a flying hive tyrant and will be the basis for the gargoyles and winged warriors in my swarm. When Loki births Fenrir, it will be the symbol that the swarm is complete and can move against Odin (the emperor on Terra).

So, yeah, I've given it some thought.

Mr_Pink's Tyranid Blog For Art and Sculpting and Stuff

Last edited by Mr_Pink on Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:54 pm 
Biomass

Hive Fleet Vorare :P .
Vorare means "swallow" in Latin, i thought it was appropiate... :P . Plus it sounds good.

Draws:2
Losses:1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:00 pm 
Hive Fleet Vermithrax is the name i picked. It's the dragon from the movie "Dragon Slayer".

- Jarrett

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:41 am 
Lictor

Reviving a very old thread.

Hive Fleet Adamantium.

Who hasn't seen X-men. It's sharp and strong, says it all.

Rending claws and talons.

The teeth of my tyranids have been painted mithril silver to represent this a bit too.

Hive Fleet Adamantium

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:19 am 
Broodlord

My old early 3rd ed swarm was Hive Fleet Gargantua, despite only levelling out at 200 points. I chose that because it seemed to match Leviathan, Behemoth etc.

My new 4th ed swarm (which I'm starting with some gaunts and warriors) will be called Hive Fleet Nautilus, simply because it's such an awesome word.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 8:51 pm 
Biomass

Hive Fleet Victus Crudus. Translated from the Latin, it means Living Green. First encountered on the jungle world Catachan, possesing green on green carapace, it seemed as if the very jungle itself had come alive and was attacking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 10:41 pm 
Little One

Didn't see this one either until now.

Splinter Fleet Tzimisce

Named for one of Byzantium's more obscure emperors and one of the legendary monsters in a sadly departed gaming system - besides, its just a fun word to say.

*Report submitted to Admiral Lorgrath of Segmentum Obscuras on the activities of the Hive Fleet recently dubbed Tzimisce, compiled by Imperial Naval Intelligence*

Presumed an all but destroyed tendril of Hive Fleet Kraken that has since regained its strength by consuming unihabited and obscure worlds, Tzimisce has somehow drifted across the galactic plane and has been active along the border border of Segmentums Solar and Obscuras.

Although expelled from the region of space near Fenris by the quick actions of the Space Wolves, and harried by a detachement of the Emperor's Scythes, the fleet is rapidly becoming a menace, and has shown an unnerving tendency to locate Imperial worlds already weakened by the depredations of other xenos and Chaos forces, consuming both victors and vanquished.

Tzimisce has been responsible for the destruction of at least one warband devoted to Nurgle and several hapless detatchments of Black Legion, and may have been the cause of the disappearance of a small Ork Waaaagh! believed headed to reinforce Ghazkull on Armageddon. Craftworld Ulthwe has had at least three clashes with Tzimisce scout forces; reports are unclear as to the result. No Tyranid units have been sigted near the supposed location of Ulthwe of late, but the Eldar seem to have taken heavy casualties.

To date the most grievous blow inflicted by Tzimisce has been its successful consumption of the monastery world of Corvine V. Although of little economic value, the planet was a fortified training ground for both militant and non-militant Orders of the Adepta Sororitas.

Although the loss of such staging ground was bad enough, more worrying is the apparent growth in strength such bold attack indicates; Corvine V was hardly defenseless, and Tzimisce was able to overcame both the local PDF, several Guard units redeployed to halt it, multiple detatchments of the Order of the Sacred Rose, and two companies of the Adeptus Astartes Chapter Sons of Guillemane in a sustained, brutal campaign lasting nearly two months.

Confused reports from the final days of the invasion also indicate the presence of the 1st Company of an unknown Chapter fighting under the direction of Lord Inquisitor Carlan prior to his death in battle. Video feeds, despite some unaccounted for interference, clearly show several Marines in silver Terminator Armor fighting with ornate pikes and either drawing on the powers of the Warp or with access to heretofore unknown weapon systems before being overwhelmed by a relentless volley of toxic projectiles.

After this success, Hive Fleet Tzimisce has been strangely inactive; although sightings of small hive vessels continue apace, the bulk of the fleet has vanished and no new planetary assaults have been initiated. It is speculated that the fleet is assimilating new DNA, birthing still more nightmare creatures, and preparing for its next moves...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 7:10 am 
Great Devourer

PassTheRoastSpaceMarine wrote:
Didn't see this one either until now.

Good point. I have made it a sticky post so it will live on the front of the forum from now on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 9:10 am 
Biomass

Well i recently got back into the nids, going to start them again when 4th ed models come out. My fleet used to be called vorare, for "swallow". It doesnt quite sound right, so i tried to find the latin for "devourer". An online translator fed back "devorare" as the translation, which i think sounds pretty good.

Draws:2
Losses:1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 9:24 am 
Zoanthrope

Hive Fleet Tryton

A take on the greek/roman god of the sea.

We are a tide of death, come to wash away your sins.
As large and unstoppable as the ocean.
As angry as the waves
With creatures as mysterious as those in the far depths

Because indeed, the deep is a place of nightmares
And that's is the Hive Mind

One big, human nightmare.

Plus, I painted them blue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 5:02 pm 
Hatchling

I'm pondering two names for my fleet:

First, going with the death theme is Hive Fleet Acheron, after one of the rivers (specifically, the 'river of woe') that flows through the underworld. With this theme, I can go many places. I can name my TMCs after the fates and Hive Tyrant after Charon (he ferried people across Acheron into the main part of the Underworld).

Or

Second, going with the color scheme of my 'Nids (Green for flesh, black very lightly tipped with red, and orange for energy and innard type stuff), Samhain (the Wiccan name for Halloween). Don't know what I can follow it up with, but it sounds cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 1:14 am 
Little One

I'm considering Reaper. I have camoflauge (sp) colour onmy nids, and I think of them as:
If you've seen it, you're either dead or will be shortly.
Like the Grim Reaper, appearing in front of people who are about to die and cutting their life away with his scythe. And I have lots of hormies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 5:05 pm 
Hatchling

My hive fleet is Parana. As far as I know its not a word, but I just thought of Pirahna (you know, the flesh eating fish with a bad reputation) and changed it a bit. Quite appropriate really, the swarms of critters devouring stuff as big as planets :D

(\_/)
(*.*)
(><)
(_l_) This is bunny, copy him and paste him into your signature if you want to help him dominate the world.
Go bunny!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 22  Next