Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: The trouble with Imperial Knights.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:04 am 
Big One

Snapdragon wrote:
Do they get Flurry of Claws with less than 20? Anyways, I'd up my chances by attacking with as many 'Stealers as possible.

Would there be a way to bubblewrap the Stealers? Put Rippers in front or something? So the Rippers take the hits, but the Stealers hit back?

Not really. If you can attack them, they can attack you! It doesn't even work for cover anymore, no more intervening model cover save. The nice thing about stealers as well as that if they use the sword, it gets about 3 hits a turn, and lets assume 3 wounds, you will still save 1/3 due to the 5++. So they will use the titanic feet but they still need to hit, wound and then you get a 5++. Something like a trygon is likely going to die in one round since the sword deals 6 wounds a pop!

5000 Eldar
5500 Marines

In that order!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:37 pm 
Monstrosity

It's also nice that while wounds splash, damage does not. So if you're being shot with MONSTERCANNONPEWPEWPEW and it does one Wound and 20 damage, you still only remove one model.

Seen TONS of people mess that up so far. Get hit by a 1-wound, 3-damage gun, and remove three guys. Stop that.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:44 pm 
Little One

Could we not go mass psyker and just smite the crap out of them?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:29 pm 
Hatchling

I'm not sure mass smite maths out. The knights have 24 wounds. That's a lot of d3.

Worst case rolling: 24 rolls of 1, so 12 groups of 5+ zoanthropes.

Best case rolling: your 5+ zoanthrope groups roll 10-12 on the psychic test and get the D6+D3 roll and then double-down on the luck and roll 6s on both. 9 Mortal Wounds per group. Only three groups of zoeys need to repeat this unlikely result to overkill a knight by 3 wounds.

Average rolling: Standard output of 2d3 will typically give 4 mortal wounds per group. 6 groups of zoeys to pop that tin can.

On the plus side, the 3++ invul save will weather a lot of return fire (better than most of our other options, I think).

On the minus side, that's a lot of psychic tests you have to not fail with a very expensive unit that only moves 5 plus a d6 inches a turn with Advancing, while the opponent moves 12. All they really have to do is keep out of your 18 inch range and fire until you go away.
Do we have faster psychics? Sure do. Swamlord and Flyrants come to mind, but they will have half (on average) of the smite damage output, and tend to get blown up pretty fast.

I guess the bottom line is it is possible to smite knights to death, but not probable. One would need to field a more balanced threat of shooting/cc/smite with some speed or range and at least moderate durability in order to make a go of it.

But I've been wrong before.