Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: To kill a super heavy?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:47 pm 
Medium One

So what is the accepted wisdom for taking out knights? I currently see two options only

Zoanthrope tactical nuke 6 in spore and warp lance like a fiend. Or tears. I just don't think there is enough haywire to go that route and the HVC is too expensive.

Appreciate the assistance with reviving my mind.

Post subject: Re: To kill a super heavy?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:26 am 
Biotitan

Lictors could pack some punch w/ rear armor shots and close combat. Genestealers w/ AG can make enough Rending attacks to make a difference the turn they assault and still manage some glances on subsequent rounds of close combat.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:14 am 
Big One

Tropic Thunder wrote:
Lictors could pack some punch w/ rear armor shots and close combat. Genestealers w/ AG can make enough Rending attacks to make a difference the turn they assault and still manage some glances on subsequent rounds of close combat.

The problem with dealing with a knight is that because its a walker, in CC you will be hitting its front armour which is tougher for some units to hurt!

Nids are weak vs knights. You can fly multiple dakkaflyrants into the side and back arcs of the knight and then whichever side doesn't have the shield you can try to glance a few times.

However the best way of dealing with knights with nids is a barbed hierodule, firing 12 S10 shots at BS3 means you can do some damage from the front or the side, even if it has its 4++.

5000 Eldar
5500 Marines

In that order!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:45 pm 
Medium One

Yeah I was worried about the walker rules slowing me down, and while I've lusted after forge world since 3rd Ed I've never taken the plunge.

I think I'll just have to stick with Warp Lance spam for now and pray to the dice gods to be kind. A suicide squad of 6 zoeys is at least equal on points with a knight and if they pod in early enough maybe they can turn their ire on something else as well....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:57 pm 
Big One

Three flyrants with heavy devourers and electroshock grubs can kill knights in one turn of shooting.

The trick is to position them on all three AV12 facings of the knight. It can only shield in one direction. Then you can fire a haywire flamer and six devourer shots into each flank. The grubs glance on a 2+, so you'll be unlucky not to do 2 hull points for sure, and any sixes to pen on devourer hits will cause additional glances. I think statistically you'll do a little over 4 HP, but it's very easy to do all 6 in one turn.

In addition, barbed hierodules are very nasty at shooting knights at long range - 12 S10 shots can easily take the knight out on their own, so all knights on the table pretty much have to put their ion shields to block the hierodule. Combine those with 2+ flyrants and it's straightforward to take out one or more knights a turn. Unfortunately, these days barbed hierodules are ridiculously easy to kill with ignores cover grav weaponry, so spending 33% of your army points on one is not very competitive.

Between these two things, Tyranids are actually a very hard counter for knights. I've tabled my friend's all knight army and he's a pretty good player - it's a very tough match up for them.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:03 am 
Medium One

The common refrain seems to be pick up some of the amazing FW models that are out there. I'll have to start scrimping to get some funds in order; but I doubt I'll be able to affect change immediately.

Thanks for the input.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:56 am 
Big One

id really hate that the new meta is all FW models, as awsome and complimenting as they are, it really takes the game out of control and just not realistic for budgets, cheap and classic method i say lictors, full squad of 3 if ya can squeeze it go all out with 2-3 broods, couple pot shot flesh hooks with rending may take a hull point but the real perk is that charge lot of attacks and lot of damage and you should be able to slip into safety or a new mob to slaughter.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 10:36 am 
Little One

I faced 4 at Throne of Skulls in March, having already faced 3 at Blog Wars, where I killed one and took the other two to half hull points each I wasn't daunted. In fact, even with a sub-optimal list - 1 Flyrant, 3 Carnifex and Genestealer Hybrids I was able to kill 2 and thake a third to it's last hull point. Given more time and another turn I think I could have taken him. Unfortunately Maelstom missions also intervened to result in a draw but fear of Knights is no longer an issue for me.

Throne of Skulls Battle Report - 4 Knights

Blog Wars Battle Report - 3 Knights

[Open in new window]

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 10:48 am 
Mawloc Prime

I'm 3 - 0 vs Knights using Zoentrhopes, Carnifex, Mucloid Spores and Spore Mines. I've never seen the big deal.