Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Theory Crafting Carnage
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:25 am 
Monstrosity

Like...a T-Fex in a Tyranocite with Fleshborer Hive getting 40 S5 shots, along with being a monster with huge toughness, a good save, and 14 wounds.

What else have people come up with?

Post subject: Re: Theory Crafting Carnage
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:13 am 
Big One

Snapdragon wrote:
Like...a T-Fex in a Tyranocite with Fleshborer Hive getting 40 S5 shots, along with being a monster with huge toughness, a good save, and 14 wounds.

What else have people come up with?

Swarmlord in a pod. He can use his ability on himself to move in the shooting phase and get 1 inch away and its a guaranteed 1st turn charge.

5000 Eldar
5500 Marines

In that order!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:57 am 
Monstrosity

The rules for the snotpods are great - I might have to snap up a few more and revisit my "cannon wall" idea.

Can deep-striking units assault the round they come in? I missed that.

I was trying to think up ways to bring down gobs of cheap shooters right in people's faces (like 20 devgants). Just something that, on round one, keeps the opponent utterly distracted while the really nasty stuff moves up.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:16 pm 
Big One

Snapdragon wrote:
The rules for the snotpods are great - I might have to snap up a few more and revisit my "cannon wall" idea.

Can deep-striking units assault the round they come in? I missed that.

I was trying to think up ways to bring down gobs of cheap shooters right in people's faces (like 20 devgants). Just something that, on round one, keeps the opponent utterly distracted while the really nasty stuff moves up.

Yes you can assault after coming in from reserves for sure. Instead of nid drop pods you can take a trygon and take a unit of up to 20 troops with it. That gives 2 big threats in their lines right away. I just tried a list with 3 trygons each bringing in 15 genestealers on turn 1. :) With 6 first turn assaults, 2 trygons made it in.

Rippers are also going to be good, because they are cheap and you can hold them in reserves and just drop down on far off objectives, possibly ones that are out of LOS.

5000 Eldar
5500 Marines

In that order!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:31 pm 
Little One

i did a list with a swarm lord and brood lord with homagaunts a full strength squad of stealers and a trygon. i moved the swarm lord brood lord and hormies up as far as i could in the movement phase then brought in the trygon with the stealers so the stealers were close to the swarm lord then used the swarm lords hive commander ability on them (at least that was the plan i forgot to do it :oops: ) thats an additional full move plus advance and then charge. If you can't make your opponent have really bad day with 20 gene stealers swinging first then your dice hate you :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:51 pm 
Big One

grendel wrote:
i did a list with a swarm lord and brood lord with homagaunts a full strength squad of stealers and a trygon. i moved the swarm lord brood lord and hormies up as far as i could in the movement phase then brought in the trygon with the stealers so the stealers were close to the swarm lord then used the swarm lords hive commander ability on them (at least that was the plan i forgot to do it :oops: ) thats an additional full move plus advance and then charge. If you can't make your opponent have really bad day with 20 gene stealers swinging first then your dice hate you :mrgreen:

Today I had a unit of 20 genestealers lose combat to 40 necron warriors... on the first charge round I killed like 5 of them... he had buffed them to T5 with a 5++ but I rolled terrible as well. Then over a few turns they grinded me out and kept repairing. It did buy me enough for 9 warriors with boneswords to come in and mess them up and I still won the game. :)

5000 Eldar
5500 Marines

In that order!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:02 am 
Monstrosity

Reading through the rules again, snotpods are brought end at the end of the movement phase.

Does this mean that critters like the Haruspex and Tyrannofex would only get their "move-and-shoot" profiles? Or would they get their double shots for holding still because *they* didn't move?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:51 am 
Big One

Snapdragon wrote:
Reading through the rules again, snotpods are brought end at the end of the movement phase.

Does this mean that critters like the Haruspex and Tyrannofex would only get their "move-and-shoot" profiles? Or would they get their double shots for holding still because *they* didn't move?

Most things that come in from reserves count as moving, I am pretty sure that is in the core rulebook but I don't have it in front of me. Like when marines disembark 3" from a rhino they can still take a 6" inch move, but even if they don't the 3" disembark makes them count as moving.

5000 Eldar
5500 Marines

In that order!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:37 pm 
Monstrosity

Hm...would still be nasty, though - drop that T-Fex right in front of infantry and it's likely going to live at least a round or two. Long enough for everything else to hit the line.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:56 pm 
Big One

Snapdragon wrote:
Hm...would still be nasty, though - drop that T-Fex right in front of infantry and it's likely going to live at least a round or two. Long enough for everything else to hit the line.

Its a distraction carnifex! I won a game recently using a variant of that. I had 20 genestealers just charge forward like nuts and tie a bunch of stuff up, they died and did little damage, but it gave time for everything else to close the gap with minor damage only.

5000 Eldar
5500 Marines

In that order!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:08 pm 
Monstrosity

That's always been my strategy with nids and it usually wins. overload big bugs on one side, little bugs on the other, deepstrike in something right in their grill.

Pick your poison: as long as I get one of the three in at full strength, the game's over.

At least in older editions.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:29 pm 
Little One

i had some luck with distraction stealers. i accidentally forgot a rule that would have let me get a guaranteed charge on some primaris marines but my opponent was so scared of the big blob of stealers that he almost completely ignored my trygon and swarm lord who proceeded to destroy both his dreadnoughts in close combat then he got really irritated when i consolidated my swarm lord into cobat with a unit of shoot marines :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:39 pm 
Little One

grendel wrote:
i had some luck with distraction stealers. i accidentally forgot a rule that would have let me get a guaranteed charge on some primaris marines but my opponent was so scared of the big blob of stealers that he almost completely ignored my trygon and swarm lord who proceeded to destroy both his dreadnoughts in close combat then he got really irritated when i consolidated my swarm lord into cobat with a unit of shoot marines :mrgreen:

From what I hear from others, is that distraction is essential as Nids now. Give them that many frustrating targets, that they have to choose between plague or cholera (Always pick cholera btw).

Hopefully I will have my first few games next week!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:07 am 
Monstrosity

Teodo wrote:
grendel wrote:

From what I hear from others, is that distraction is essential as Nids now. Give them that many frustrating targets, that they have to choose between plague or cholera (Always pick cholera btw).

Hopefully I will have my first few games next week!

That's pretty much been the nid mantra for the last five editions: target saturation, give them too much to shoot at. As long as a unit makes it in at full strength, you should do well.

I love snotpods - now that nids are viable again, I'll have to get more of them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:22 am 
Little One

I haven't played for a few editions now, sadly. Haven't had the time or will to do it. That will hopefully change now :)