Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Make Tyranids Great Again!
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 11:00 am 
Biotitan

https://www.warhammer-community.com/201 ... -tyranids/

Warhammer 40,000 Faction Focus: Tyranids
Faction Focus returns with Reece telling us all about Tyranids.

Reece helps runs some of the biggest independent Warhammer 40,000 events in the world, including the Las Vegas Open and the recently announced Southern California Open. Like Frankie, he’s also been part of the playtest team for the new edition of Warhammer 40,000, putting in hundreds of hours to make sure this new edition will be great for all you gamers out there (Thanks Reece!).

He knows what he’s talking about when it comes to Warhammer 40,000, so let’s see what he has so say…

Reece: Tyranids have been a part of the fabric of the Warhammer 40,000 universe for decades. For me, I loved them from the first time I saw a Genestealer model* many moons ago. Reading the fantastic stories about them in the books and imagining the overwhelming power they brought to bear was incredible and really brought them to life for me. They scour entire galaxies of life, absorbing it all and using it to create even more and deadlier Tyranid bioweapons. The terror they inspire is primal: the fear of being eaten!

On the tabletop, Tyranids have had their ups and downs. Their most recent iteration has struggled to keep pace with some of the more powerful armies, and for many Tyranids players, the Winged Hive Tyrant with dual devourers has been the unit carrying all the weight of the faction on his back (its wings must be pretty tired!). I am here to tell you, that all of that changes in the new edition.

I’d be remiss if I didn’t start out with my all time favourite Tyranid unit: the Swarmlord. He is an absolute beast now, as he should be! With a Toughness value of 6, 12 Wounds, a 3+ save and a 5+ invulnerable save (increased to a 4+ invulnerable save in melee) he is not easily taken down. This can be further enhanced by casting Catalyst on him (and did I mention he’s a potent Psyker, too?) to give him a 5+ save vs Wounds suffered.

But it’s not just defence, oh no, Mr. Swarmlord brings the pain in combat as well. With a base of Strength of 8, 7 Attacks, hitting on a 2+, with an AP value of -3 and D6 damage a pop, the Swarmlord can lay low even Titanic units in a single round of combat. Truly a fearsome adversary.

However, his ability that I have found to be most useful is Hive Commander, which allows a friendly unit to move in the Shooting phase. This is incredibly powerful for the sudden added mobility. For Hormagants, with their blisteringly quick Movement of 8″, this means a potential 16″ move before attempting a charge. Or he could simply use it on himself and move up to 18″…

That’s just one combo out of dozens, too!

Genestealers, who are the iconic Tyranid unit in my eyes, are absolutely lethal. Not only are they incredibly fast with an 8″ Move themselves, they can also charge after advancing. With their shiny new 5+ invulnerable save, they’re also hardy, and I often cast Catalyst on them too, because I am a mean, mean man.

But to really crank the power up to 11 with Genestealers, take them in units of 10 or more to trigger their Flurry of Claws special rule, bumping them up to 4 Attacks each. Combo this with the Broodlord (who is also, utterly deadly in melee) to also give them a +1 to hit in the Fight phase. That means a full unit of 20 has 80 Attacks hitting on a 2+. With their Rending Claws – which bump up to AP -4 on a 6 to wound – very few units in the game can withstand a full strength Genestealer charge!

There’s so much to be happy about as a Tyranid player it is hard to cover it all. But we have a few more tidbits for you all before we close this article.

For one, due to the changes in the way damage works, medium sized Tyranids are much more enjoyable to play. A Tyranid Warrior with 3 Wounds and a Toughness value of 4 is so much more durable than he was, that it’s incredible. I’ve been using them as midfield Synapse providers who are both good with close range shooting and in melee.

And Synapse, hmm, what type of benefit does that provide? Nothing less than immunity to morale for friendly Tyranids units within range. Bring on the hordes of little gribblies!

And lastly, just because I can’t help myself: I think Pyrovores may be one of the most improved units in the new edition, and a unit of them in a Tyrannocyte has won me many a game!

*Probably of Ymgarl

I Spent 90% of My Money on Women and Warhammer. The Rest I Wasted....

Post subject: Re: Make Tyranids Great Again!
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 4:13 pm 
Zoatibix

Excitement ensues... :)

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:59 pm 
Zoatibix

Okay, this is huge:

http://pro.bols.netdna-cdn.com/wp-conte ... -Cover.jpg

We're no longer slowed or forced to hit second by difficult terrain. Our opponents can no longer hide in cover to stop us sending CC beasts against them. :)

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 4:37 pm 
Not Loukang

Well, I'll wait the full rules before rejoicing ;) But if it is true, my nids will need some dust removal.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 7:33 pm 
Zoatibix

Heh. Yeah, it would suck if there was a special rule: units with the tyranid keyword always attack last if they are fighting a unit in cover... ;)

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:19 am 
Little One

Yep. I've started painting my 'nids again for the first time in months. Finally, the heydays of Tyranids being awesome on the table are back! It's only taken, what, 4 editions? :P

I really hope Carnifexes are viable again. I have a Screamer-Killer I'm painting ATM and I'd love him to be able to wreck stuff in battle.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:08 pm 
Big One

Carnifex
67 points
M7" WS4+ S6 T7 W8 A4 3+
It doesn't degrade
if charge does mortal wound on a 4+
Crushing claws are Sx2 AP-3 damage 3
Scything Talons S: User AP-3 damage 3
Bonemace S8 Ap-1 d3 damage.
If with 2 weapons +1 attacks
2 Scything talons reroll 1 to hit.

SALTY.

5000 Eldar
5500 Marines

In that order!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:48 am 
Deathgaunt

That would be great! It would mean my 3 dual scythe carnifexes are now only 89 points each (its 22 points for 2x scy tals, 13 for 1 pair, 33 for crushing claws according to /tg). And 3 of the suckers are dishing out 3 mortal wounds on the charge on a 4+, plus 15 S6 AP-3 Damage 3 attacks per turn, rerolling 1s.

Or throw claws and scytals on them in squads of 2, for 10 attacks at S12 AP-3 Damage 3 + 2 mortal wounds on a 4+, and have fun destroying any vehicle you touch in a single turn all for the measly price of 226 points.

8th edition Warhammer Fantasy:
Warriors of Chaos: 13-4
Lizardmen: 6-2

7th edition Warhammer 40k
Dark Eldar/Eldar Allies: 4-1
Tyranids: 3-1

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:34 am 
Big One

Neutrophile wrote:
That would be great! It would mean my 3 dual scythe carnifexes are now only 89 points each (its 22 points for 2x scy tals, 13 for 1 pair, 33 for crushing claws according to /tg). And 3 of the suckers are dishing out 3 mortal wounds on the charge on a 4+, plus 15 S6 AP-3 Damage 3 attacks per turn, rerolling 1s.

Or throw claws and scytals on them in squads of 2, for 10 attacks at S12 AP-3 Damage 3 + 2 mortal wounds on a 4+, and have fun destroying any vehicle you touch in a single turn all for the measly price of 226 points.

Do you have the info on TL dual devourers? If so post it!

5000 Eldar
5500 Marines

In that order!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:43 am 
Not Loukang

Well having a S9 carnifex become a puny S6 beast is somehow a downside. Wait and see ;)

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:20 pm 
Deathgaunt

But that also has to be taken into the overall context of the game as a whole - the bare bones carnifex is a great weapon platform for cheap, or can be kitted out to destroy infantry for cheap - and if you really want that added oomph for going after vehicles, you can grab the crushing claws (for an overall MUCH cheaper model than in 7th) and be S12.

http://imgur.com/a/i1NfD

Leaks for tyranid points. I was off slightly above, but not by much.

No info on potential changes to S and # of shots for brainleech devourers, but looks like TL is gone - the weapons listed are just brainleech devourers for 7 point each. Which means we likely get to take 4 of them on a hive tyrant or fex, meaning instead of 12 shots rerolling misses, we get 24 shots that can target up to 4 separate units each shooting phase. Assuming they stay Assault 6. Since they're the nid version of assault cannons, I think that's likely.

8th edition Warhammer Fantasy:
Warriors of Chaos: 13-4
Lizardmen: 6-2

7th edition Warhammer 40k
Dark Eldar/Eldar Allies: 4-1
Tyranids: 3-1

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:27 pm 
Little One

24 point Biovores? 18 point Hive Guard? Damn, that sounds deliciously good value.

I notice the Haruspex is a rather heavy 217 points. Either it's going to be an unstoppable death machine now...or it's going to be overcosted crap. I hope for the former.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:36 pm 
Big One

Squigsquasher wrote:
24 point Biovores? 18 point Hive Guard? Damn, that sounds deliciously good value.

I notice the Haruspex is a rather heavy 217 points. Either it's going to be an unstoppable death machine now...or it's going to be overcosted crap. I hope for the former.

The points costs are before weapons. So a biovore is 24 but its another 12 for the spore mine launcher. Etc etc.

5000 Eldar
5500 Marines

In that order!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:49 am 
Little One

Seems like they give people the chance to differentiate their hive fleets quite much now. Either few expensive death bugs or cheaper lots of gribblies.

Also looks like more synergy are given to people, so some units boosts others when close.

I like that idea.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:27 am 
Biotitan

Most Costs and Books are leaked at this point. I played 3 games with nids in the new edition. Not every unit is totally cool but at least nothing looks really bad. My thoughts so far:

- CC is way better than Shooting
- Picking Casualties from wherever I want is key
- No scatter and deep strike whenever I want is really good
- our psychic powers are really good

TOP UNITS FIRST THOUGHT
- Genestealer - holy crap they erase most stuff they touch
- Fexes with double talons at 94 points is bonkers!
- Trygons are just scary dudes who can strip 36 Wounds a turn ( 6 Attacks with D6 Damage)
- Swarmlord is auto include ( makes second Movement past for 1 unit)
- Old One Eye is pretty damn good (lets nearby fexes hit on 3s)
- Hive Guard looks pretty amazing with Range 36" and hit on 3s
- Biovores look good
- Exocrine is a freakn monstrosity!
- Mawlocs deal mortal wounds and cost just 104 Points

http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/Katan+the+Unleashed
5th Dimension Blog:
http://5-th-dimension.blogspot.com/