Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Newest FAQ and what it means for Tyranids.
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 12:14 pm 
Deathleaper

I was scouring through the FAQs and wanted to see how it affected our playstyle.

BTW the FAQs can be found here if you havent seen them.

1. Biovores got an upgrade (WOOO!) Template weapons now affect ALL levels. So feel free to drop those bio-bombs on those cowardly fleshbags hiding in those buildings.
Source: Here

Still looking through them. Feel free to add any opinions/revelations.

Post subject: Re: Newest FAQ and what it means for Tyranids.
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 4:48 am 
Great Devourer

I don't have the time to more than glance at it.

I did notice even though it doesn't relate to us:
Games Workshop wrote:
Q: When determining the Strength of a vehicle’s Ram, are the Tank and Heavy bonuses cumulative?
A: No.
That isn't a clarification. It is an outright change to the rule.

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 5:44 pm 
Medium One

Just want to say, it looks like Maleceptor's got a little bit better. Witchfire powers with no weapon profile hit automatically. They could be good at zapping fliers. =)

Whooooo!!

https://www.facebook.com/1575682476085719/photos/pb.1575682476085719.-2207520000.1462747349./1610527042601262/?type=3&theater

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 11:07 pm 
Biotitan

I'm particularly fond of the IC rules that prohibit multiple Psyker ICs in the same unit from spamming the same power. Enough of those Eldar/DE/Harlequin Psychic Shriek Ld bomb units that arrive with pinpoint accuracy.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 11:49 pm 
Medium One

The more I read this, the more I love it. If you have the skyfire special rule, you can fire blast and template weapons at other flyers and FMC's. It means the Harpy and Hive Crone just got a whole lot more useful. Vector Strike + Drool cannon? HVC from the harpy at any flyer? Not too bad of a buff for Nid FMC's. =)

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 6:34 am 
Medium One

I'm most pleased that the Patriarch can psychic shriek tool he's blue in the face with the changes to witchfire powers.

Finally

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 6:55 am 
Big One

DigestedFotoGuy wrote:
The more I read this, the more I love it. If you have the skyfire special rule, you can fire blast and template weapons at other flyers and FMC's. It means the Harpy and Hive Crone just got a whole lot more useful. Vector Strike + Drool cannon? HVC from the harpy at any flyer? Not too bad of a buff for Nid FMC's. =)

They also got a big nerf... if you jink (and our flyers need to!) then you can't vector strike, that hurts all our flyers but cripples the crone IMO.

5000 Eldar
5500 Marines

In that order!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 12:28 pm 
Medium One

xsquidz wrote:

They also got a big nerf... if you jink (and our flyers need to!) then you can't vector strike, that hurts all our flyers but cripples the crone IMO.

Yeah, and they can't bombing run either, it means we have to think about our jink saves a lot more. Imo, it's worth the hit, if it means we can HVC and Drool cannon other flyers. How easy would be to sneak a Harpy behind any flyer and hit it with a S9 blast?

Edit: Just clicked in, would that mean you can't jink save vs. a Drool Cannon, because it's a template weapon?

Last edited by DigestedFotoGuy on Tue May 10, 2016 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 3:19 am 
Norn Queen wut can has cookie

That's not the only blatant rulechange, Jun. There's something about not being able to move through walls of ruins, while before they stated models are generally assumed to be able to move through any and all difficult terrain. I'm glad this is a first draft, because there's some weird stuff still in there. But there's also a lot of clarifications.

I'm curious to see how this ends up :)

Hive Fleet Charybdis

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 10:18 am 
Little One

Psykers can now only cast as many powers as their level - so a Lvl 1 psyker can only cast one power, even though they may know two. This is a pretty big deal, how could they have missed that specific chestnut out of the rules in the first place? Or have I misunderstaood where it said in the BRB:

Quote:
If, after attempting to manifest a psychic power, you still have Warp Charge points left, you can attempt to manifest another psychic power with the same unit,

Also, re: the Skyfire and blast, the specific FAQ states you can target another flyer or FMC, however the FAQ preceding it states you cannot hit a flyer with a blast or template. So you can target as much as you want, you cannot hit them. Don't ask me to explain it, I can't it's just the prevailing opinion on one of the Tyranid Facebook groups that it cancels each other out.

I'm particularly miffed about Skyshield with their 'petals' up NOT offering a cover save, they only get the invul save. So that screws my Venomthrope 2+ cover :( and makes a mockery of all the other cover rules they have and are FAQing. Which brings me to the 25% rule about 'toe in' for some very specific units and conveniently people are clinging to other non specified units thereefore being unaffected. It also doesn't address those terrain datasheets that categorically state you get a save regardless of 25% coverage - they really need to clarify that with - 'unless stated in the specific terrain datasheet' or 'for these units this rule over-rules terrain datasheets'.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 1:46 pm 
Medium One

Dwez wrote:

Also, re: the Skyfire and blast, the specific FAQ states you can target another flyer or FMC, however the FAQ preceding it states you cannot hit a flyer with a blast or template. So you can target as much as you want, you cannot hit them. Don't ask me to explain it, I can't it's just the prevailing opinion on one of the Tyranid Facebook groups that it cancels each other out.

It says in the FAQ:
Q: Do Blast weapons hit Swooping Flying Monstrous Creatures?
A: No.

and then the skyfire thing is:
Q: Can a Swooping Flying Monstrous Creature or Zooming Flyer be targeted by a Blast or Template weapon with the Skyfire special rule?
A: Yes.

I believe it hinges on the unit/weapon having the Skyfire special rule, whereas the preceding faq was if an errant blast or template hits a swooping flyer. That's how I read it.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 4:05 am 
Little One

DigestedFotoGuy wrote:
I believe it hinges on the unit/weapon having the Skyfire special rule, whereas the preceding faq was if an errant blast or template hits a swooping flyer. That's how I read it.

I'm inclined to agree but folk are going all RAW instead of RAI, but then with some of these FAQs I don't think anyone can ever possibly suggest what was 'intended' in the eyes of GW. Their argument is 'in reality you can target any jet plane as it flies above you with a grenade but you're never going to hit it', yep, that's where we find ourselves.

I actually wish at this point they just brought out 8th Edition. I know everyone gets angry with new editions but the amount of FAQs and the fundamental changes that these anwers are bringing to the game a whole new ruleset would just solve a lot of these problems.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:16 pm 
Big One

New FAQ Draft is out for the cult and it makes them allies of convenience instead of battle brothers. In my eyes this makes two crappy factions (nids and gene cult) even worse... please flame GW online like I am lol.

I just really don't get it. The white dwarf says they ally like tyranids (which are BB with themselves) but even if it didn't... nids need all the help we can get, nerf Eldar instead lol.

5000 Eldar
5500 Marines

In that order!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:07 pm 
Zoatibix

New FAQs are up.

Nids: https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp- ... s_v1.1.pdf

Cult: https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp- ... s_v1.0.pdf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:38 am 
Little One

HiveFleetManticore wrote:

Also the following:

Shield of Baal - Exterminatus: https://17890-presscdn-0-51-pagely.netd ... s_v1.1.pdf

Shield of Baal - Leviathan: https://17890-presscdn-0-51-pagely.netd ... n_v1.0.pdf