Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1094 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73  Next
 Post subject: Re: January codex (BlaarrrrrglaabblbllrlleleleffllGRABBYTONGUE!)
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:26 am 
Mawloc Prime

So i also got the digital download of the codex on my kindle; the kindle has a text to speech function.

So i plugged my kindle into my car stereo's auxiliary port and now i'm being read the tyranid fluff in an unemotional Siri-like voice through 6 speakers. it's like i'm being told the tyranid story from a servo skull or scribe... or adeptus mechanicus!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:30 am 
Little One

That's the spirit!

I still have to wait for my stuff to hopefully arrive tomorrow (And be happy that my gf is home and pregnant while I waste my brain at the university).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:46 am 
Medium One

Those spawned gaunts can only shoot or run to the best of my knowledge.

Is it just me or are pure cc warriors strictly worse than the more specialized options (shrike / Raveners?). Sure they get a 4+ but price is crazy.

Post subject: Accommodator/Ross Nickle
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:28 pm 
Little One

@ Vonny about the Mawloc only using Terror from the Deep rule once.

I thought so too, but re reading the rules, (and of course confusing myself even more.)

Mawlock D/S first. He is coming in from Deep Strike Reserves (which the rules says is another name.) and does his TftD rule. Next turn he burrows and goes into Ongoing Reserves. Ongoing reserves rules states he comes in the next turn but acts like just coming in from reserves. So the Reserves rules say he is placed on the table edge of the controlling player.

BUT if you read the rules after that, it says if it has D/S or Outflank rules, it uses those rules instead. So where do the rules say you can only use D/S once? Where in the rules does it say you can't D/S more than once?

The way I see it, since he has the D/S rules, he can D/S again and then use the TftD rules.

Relearning the game agains, so could be wrong. Please explain where I made the mistake. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:17 pm 
Norn Queen wut can has cookie

I think you're right, Davor, and it can use TftD multiple times. I was tired and jumping to conclusions - or rather, hoping the hive mind's collective knowledge would correct me if I had jumped to conclusions.

And 6262, you're correct.

Hive Fleet Charybdis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:05 pm 
Medium One

Ya know, I completely missed Lictors getting fear. That's not bad at all. =D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:27 pm 
Broodling

DigestedFotoGuy wrote:
Ya know, I completely missed Lictors getting fear. That's not bad at all. =D

Yeah! I can see Lictors much much much usable. I like the model very much but I have none of those. Because I started Tyranids since previous codex and I refused to use those due to their potentiality. NOW I have pre-ordered Deathleaper and maybe buying Lictors as well.

I have played against Tyranid army with my SM and there was two broods of Lictors and they made me mad. Lictors deployment is so sick. They can be fielded any where. Lictors help Mawloc direct hits so you don't really need scatter dice :) So you only want to stay away from flamers or weapons which ingores cover. And then they are hard to get down.

Is it possible to deep strike with wings? Winged Hive Tyrants, Harpies, Shrikes etc.
I think if I give more duty to Deathleaper I will get more deep striking units to my army.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:43 pm 
Medium One

If spore mines can detonate on a deep strike, it's a pheromone guided S10 ap4 attack. =)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:38 pm 
Biotitan

Spore Mines cannot detonate on DS. They have to follow the standard rules for DSing units, so if they wound up atop an enemy model or impassable terrain, they suffer a mishap.

The rules for the two are explicitly described on p.50 and p.65. Note that the Biovore has the Spore Mine Launcher biomorph. On p.65, it states that the weapon possesses the details of a shot Spore Mine, namely the Lg Blast, Barrage and Spore Burst rules. Spore Mine Cysts attached to the Harpy have a further rule called Spore Bomb, again detailing how a shot Spore Mine behaves.

On p.50, rules for Spore Mines include DS, Fearless, Floating Death and Living Bomb, not Spore Mine Cysts or Spore Mine Launcher, or the weapon-specific rules affiliated with either of these two entries. Looking at Floating Death and Living Bomb on p.65, neither special rule indicates anything about allowing the unit to detonate if it winds up atop an enemy unit, something the Mawloc's Terror from the Deep goes to great pains to definitely grant. Conclusion: Spore Mine Clusters do not detonate if they DS atop an enemy unit and are treated like any other DSing unit not named a Mawloc.

The bonus S that occurs with Spore Mine explosions only happens during the Assault Phase. Because they can now move, run and assault like other units (aside from the movement penalties documented in the rules), a Spore Mine Cluster can be a tremendous pain in the butt for enemy units. A full cluster of six Spore Mines means the opponent has to dedicate an entire unit's shooting at it so they don't drift into combat with them. IG, Eldar, Tyranids, Orks and Tau will be very displeased if one of these units engaged with them, but they'll be equally displeased at having to dedicate resources to eliminate them. Either way, they're pissed about it. To add further salt, Spore Mine Clusters grant no VPs, so there's no benefit for wasting a turn shooting at them. At half the cost per model from last edition, Spore Mine Clusters are ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!! I am so considering sparing those points to put a full Cluster in every list just because of the annoyance factor. What's more, vehicles can't just run them over to get rid of them. Thank you, Fearless! :D

I honestly think Spore Mine Clusters will become the runaway must-add to almost every list. A true throwaway unit that definitely earns its points and then some every game. And missing with a Spore Mine Launcher shot means you can further complicate life for the enemy with these little buggers floating around their lines and backfield where they can disrupt even further. Huge, huge utility here. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:57 pm 
Broodling

Couple of games under my belt and a few surprises. Couple of things about spore mines that i didn't see mentioned anywhere yet.

1) I don't think they detonate when shot anymore. If you want a cluster to go away your will need to shoot every mine in it.
2) I don't see where they explode at anytime other than in close combat at I10. (no more having one guy walk up and take the hit for the whole unit that's still out of range of the blast.
3) When shot at something by a harpy or biovore the generated mines behave as a cluster. Of note here is that the cluster just fired did not deep strike so therefore can run or assault in the turn it lands because it behaves like any other unit on the table. nothing I found says otherwise.

Also, I missed that bit in the shrouded rule. That is SOOOOOO much better than the way I was playing it.

One last thing I learned tonight. I've a few editions running around in my brain and have always thought you had to roll your regroup/fall back rolls before doing any other movement. This is not the case in 6th ed and can be huge for us. The falling back unit must make it's test "just before" it moves. Nothing says that the falling back unit has to be the first unit you chose to move. This means that you can chose to move a synapse creature (or bring it in from reserve) into range of your falling back unit first so when that unit's turn to move comes up it auto regroups.

If I misread something and am interpreting any of this incorrectly please let me know and point me in the right direction, but those all seem kinda cool to me.

Faidlar

Edit: Ninja'd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:17 am 
Little One

Tropic Thunder wrote:
Spore Mines cannot detonate on DS. They have to follow the standard rules for DSing units, so if they wound up atop an enemy model or impassable terrain, they suffer a mishap.

Good post Tropic, I concur with your analysis upon closer reading.

Anyone else notice you can buy bio-artifacts for Trygon Primes? Obliterax and Miasma might be decent on him (Deep strike containment spines + miasma template is going to put a world of hurt on an infantry squad)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:28 am 
Medium One

So I've read the fluff aaaaaand... I like it. It's got a lot of personality and detail to it. The codex as a whole is quite purdy looking. I'd have liked to have seen more variety in the paint schemes personally, but I liked that they focussed on each model we got.

I do have to wonder at how they've listed some of the rules, however- the way it says that certain Tyranids can just take biomorphs from the list makes it look as though I could almost give whatever I want a pair of wings, for instance... a brood of Carnifexes? Yes please.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:02 am 
Norn Queen wut can has cookie

take note, however, in our equipment list under biomorphs, it doesn't give the option for wings... alas for ye!

Hive Fleet Charybdis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:47 am 
Hatchling

Speaking of fluff, do all tyranids have digestive track now. The new rules implied that Ravener and carni got them alongside other feeder organism, as they will eat themselves or cannibalise others of their kind. I think i just unlocked the mystery behind OOE'S rapid mutation. The poor carni have been eating his hand on so many counts after getting un iced that he became numb to it and gain his regenerative property as his body's metabolism was enhanced by constant noming. After all most carnifex get to be re absorb into a hive ship or die and get reabsorb by being ripper food . He was the first of his kind to be left stranded on a planet:cry: The poor thing was constantly eating himself on the tundra of caith until he find proper carnifex diet. Space marines.

Anyone find a use for the new prime? I can see him with AG keeping other fleeting fex in line via synapse and use the fex as meatshield. looks more survivsble then flyrant to me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:03 am 
Medium One

Haha, fair point Vonny =P I'll be keeping my eyes open for what I can actually do with the Codex- this is the first I've seen in this format, and I'm finding it a bit unusual at the moment. But then, I've only gone through it once so far.

Speaking of biomorphs, Rootwalla, you were right about what you said earlier too- the fluff was a little light on the biomorph section itself. As far as Old One Eye goes, I'm glad they kind of sort of kept the mythical sort of built-up stories about it. Same deal for the Red Terror- I like the Tyranid 'characters' better that way rather than an actual one-off special critter. Gotta wonder about all the Tyranids eating, too- I'd always thought that only some 'ate', and that was merely to move resources to digestive pools for absorption by the hive ships. I'd also thought the fighting 'nids were broken down and reabsorbed at the end of the invasion but now I have to wonder if they're taken back as-is for their next fight.

I'm trying my hand at a list at the moment but it's more of a fun, fluffy thing than anything competitive- it has a distinct melee edge to it. Unfortunately I'm not running a Prime in it, nor have I ever ran a Prime, so I can't comment much there.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1094 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73  Next