Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1094 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73  Next
 Post subject: Re: January codex release is out now / BlaarrrrggeGRABBYTONGUE!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:41 am 
Great Devourer

For me the single biggest change to my army lists will different models within a brood being able to take different weapon options.

Want rending claws on only half of your raveners? No problem now.
Want to add and pay for only 2 pairs of boneswords rather than have to pay for the entire brood? Yes, I like this.
Want a brood of carnifexes each with a different weapon mix? Now I'm proper excited. :twisted:

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:10 am 
Medium One

I have a question, which I think I know the answer to, but not sure.

So, we now follow the rule of two CCW's and we get an extra attack. Does that means if Warriors and Lictors, and such, have scything talons base and we add in something like Rending Claws or Bonesowrds, does that mean we get an extra attack, or is that already written into the stat line?

It seems to me, scything talons are just there to be an extra set of CCW's to get the extra attack. Please forgive me if I misread or didn't understand the CCW + attacks rule.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:28 am 
Great Devourer

You are right DigestedFotoGuy. So in the lictor example, they have the same number of attacks as before in their profile, but effectively get +1 attack from their weapons.

And all melee bio-weapons now have an AP value. (Scything talons and rending claws included.) That doesn't affect monstrous creatures much, but is big news on almost everything else. :twisted:

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:48 am 
Little One

That mix and match within broods will be awesome for sure. Now I it is easier to protect your precious dev gaunts with cheap ones for cannon fodder. Can't wait to try that out!

Will be fun when I get my codex (ANd I finish my examns next week). Then I can start flipping through the new codex I hopefully get on monday.

Post subject: Re: January release / pre-orders ready / BlaarrrrgeGRABBYTONGUE!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:41 am 
Hierophant

XenoSmile wrote:
Dreachon wrote:
And sadly treating it like a mere 5.1 codex is exactly my beef as it means that moron of a crudface get's to wack at it again, so much of it just reeks of him.
Honestly why the hell do units like prime, ravener and ruppers, rippers for godsake all need to be more expensieve. hell CC is almost nutred in the codex and it seems GW want peopel to go shooty nids instead.

Hell even the Pyrovore stil appears to be horrible and most people with even half a brain can make a more decent draft in less than 30min than what GW has produced once more.

Serious I am heading back towards updating my fandex or I am just going to shelf the nids for another 4 to 5 years. Well the only good hting out of this is that I can spent my money on other stuff that does bring me joy and doesn't shoot me in the foot.

Dreachon summed up my thoughts exactly.

People defending the Codex by saying we should be thinking of it as 5.1 - that is EXACTLY the problem. The previous Codex was one of the worst abominations of awful rules I've ever seen come out of GW. I quit 40k partially because of it, and ended up selling my Tyranids when I came on hard times financially. The reason I am so upset is that we had it on Phil Kelly's authority, repeated several times throughout rumor season, that this was supposed to be a complete overhaul to fix that sad sack of crap. We heard quotes like "every unit viable, every unit desirable" as the main design focus. I was excited to get back into the hobby again with a fresh start, new models, fun and flavorful rules. If anything, what we got this time around is even WORSE than the one we had before.

I've had it. I have decided to write a professionally formatted, carefully tested, flavorful fandex, and in the meantime I will not be purchasing any of the new models, because the only way to make a statement GW's management will notice is to hit their wallets. Resin casts from China it is.

Let me know if you want help with writing that fandex, I know 2 other players here who will feel the same as me after they have went over the codex, we might already have some concepts ready this afternoon.

What fate is worse than beeing captured alive by the enemy? Why being captured, subjected to a weird alien vivisection and finally broken down into your constituent parts to form more of the foe, of course!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:16 am 
Little One

Dreachon wrote:
stuff about fan codex

drop me a PM with contact info, i have many ideas that would help out tyranids... even ones that would give them a flavor of their own without making them too OP

Post subject: Re: January release / pre-orders ready / BlaarrrrgeGRABBYTONGUE!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:51 am 
Medium One

Snapdragon wrote:
I'm upset that you didn't mention the Grabbytongue once.

He's an gribbly in the elites slot. he also regenerates up to one wound per turn when in combat. T6 saturation, nothing special. 160pts for him vs 150 for a dakkafex (heavy slot is crowded though!)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:05 am 
Hatchling

now that im tipsy to say it. this codex is in general a disappointment compare to what was promised Paul i wish there are fixes to this via supplements. yes grabby tongue can heal wounds bit the fact he hit on 5 or 4+ for 3 attacks meant u want to keep grabby away from tacs with power fist or worst things with poison or rending or anything with WS higher then 5 he just get humiliated

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:36 am 
Mawloc Prime

Woke up, rolled over, reached out and touched her next to me in bed... my new codex.
Here some more stuff, and no i did not get much sleep:

FIRST: take back my crushing claws in warriors speel... i must have been tired and misread that.

VENOM CANNONS: can actually penetrate vehicles like normal; that was a stupid rule to keep once it went blast anyway.

HIVE GUARD: so their new 18" haywire gun? it's blast, so no shooting flyers with it.

THORAX WEAPONS: now accessible to tyrants, tevigons & tyranofex. we're going to have to run the numbers on which is best again... all the same points (reduced by more than half on a tyrant) but some rules changes. Desiccator is Fleshbane, Electroshock is Haywire & Shreddershard is Str 3 Rending & Shred. Throws some extra twists on the math.

I have a question about Warlord Traits: Swarmlord, Old One Eye and Deathleaper both have their own warlord traits in their write up, but they don't have to be the warlord.... nothing says in the LBB (little black book: I got the hardcover mini rulebook last night too) that more than one model can't have warlord traits, just you can't assign more than one model a roll on the warlord trait chart(s),

So, for example, I take Old One Eye and a Tyranid Prime. OOE has ld 8, Prime has 10, so prime has to be the warlord because he's got the better leadership.

1. Does OOE lose access to his built in Warlord trait because he's not the warlord?
2. Can the Prime not roll on the warlord chart since there already is one in play?
3. we get TWO warlord traits in play at once... possibly the same one twice!

Teodo wrote:
How does OOE regenerate now? Normal regeneration or on every wound? In the WD report he regenerated quite much.

so he has the regular codex regen which is "It will not die" on a 4+, and then the beginning of your turn after it takes a wound, it gets Feel No Pain 5+ for the rest of the game.... assuming it can use its warlord trait.

Now, breakfast and more reading!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:41 am 
Little One

So not really so amusing really. Poor OOE.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:05 am 
Broodling

This new codex is not a disappointment for me. We have still stong units in every slot. There's many nerfs but I don't care. I don't have a codex yet so I can't be 100% sure about all rules. I believe only what I see.

But the most important thing for me is the new models. They look awesome and I will use those in coming painting competitions. I have couple of ideas to convert Exocrine. So excited to get those bits on own hands. :)

I pre-ordered Codex, Haruspex/Exocrine, Deathleaper.

I will use Deathleaper in every match because I like idea of one man army what kill enemies one after the other without anyone see it. :D

I thought I use Grabbytongue but its sounds now Crappytongue :? I wish his tongue is at least 18" long and it's a CC expert. But looks like 6th ed focus on shooting. So Exocrine will come my primary heavy support along with Mawloc.

Question to you who have codex:
If Mawloc use "Terror strike" will it hit two times if there is survivors after first?
And if survived even second will Mawloc roll mishap?
And important question: Can opponent place mawloc under your termagants for example.

This new rule confuses me :?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:39 am 
Mawloc Prime

From SnowydarknesS, Question to you who have codex:
If Mawloc use "Terror strike" will it hit two times if there is survivors after first? Yes, even if your own models under the template survive and there is no place to fit him.
And if survived even second will Mawloc roll mishap? That is also correct.
And important question: Can opponent place mawloc under your termagants for example. Here's were it gets grey...
The rule for the mawloc say you can deep strike on a model and not roll mishap, but the rules for mishap do not.
Now in general, if you can legally place an opponent's model on top of other models for deep strike mishap 2-3, then he mishaps again; an unscrupulous person could keep placing the mishapped deep striking unit on top of units in another attempt to get the destroyed result again.
So, personally, *I* would say, no, you cannot mishap place the mawloc onto other models and attempt to start up a mishap feed back loop.
The FAQs may tell us otherwise in the future.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:22 am 
Broodling

Thank you Oda. I agree with you. I just wondered if there is clarified that it can misplaced under other units. My opponent have once asked it in previous codex but never happened.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:54 pm 
Monstrosity

Like the previous edition, I'd be very surprised if the Mawlock's entry caused a mishap. I mean, the point of the attack is that it comes up under units: it doesn't make a lot of sense for it to both have that rule and get destroyed by it, right?

I ask because the "rolling death," starting with two mawlocks on the table (I might be able to do three now, with the point drop!), and diving them under and up over and over, is a great way to thin the back lines of an opponent and give them something to shoot at that isn't the approaching swarm.

Grabbing my own dex in...2 hours.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:11 pm 
Medium One

Yaleling wrote:
You are right DigestedFotoGuy. So in the lictor example, they have the same number of attacks as before in their profile, but effectively get +1 attack from their weapons.

And all melee bio-weapons now have an AP value. (Scything talons and rending claws included.) That doesn't affect monstrous creatures much, but is big news on almost everything else. :twisted:

Nice, I was thinking that. I have my new dex and grabby tongue.

The branch questions I have are: Are those CCW attacks in the profile, or do we add them later? What about beasties with double weapons like HT's, Fex's, Raveners. Do we still add +1 attacks for their double CCW's, or do we take away an attack if we give them a deathspitter or something.

*edit*
I don't have my BRB in front of me, but I can't remember if there's a rule that says, if one model in the unit has an USR, then they all do? If that were true, could we not have Adrenal Glands on a Shooty warrior and Toxin sacs on melee warrior, and they would all get fleet, +1S and poison? I need to read my BRB when I get back, hah. =)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1094 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73  Next