Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1094 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73
 Post subject: Re: January codex (BlaarrrrrglaabblbllrlleleleffllGRABBYTONGUE!)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:41 am 
Norn Queen wut can has cookie

yes, as a monstrous creature can fire 2 ranged weapons each turn.

Hive Fleet Charybdis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:23 am 
Mawloc Prime

Bit #1: since the codex came out, the 5h edition faq is no longer valid and has been taken down... therefore the only rule saying we cannot use the guns in Fortifications no longer exists. Icarus Biocannons for everyone!

Bit #2: found this on Bell
anonymous wrote:
"Speaking about the codex today, a few things fall into place. One of the older members of the Stoke branch is regular play tester for the pre release codex's as he has a number of armies they use when the designers want to try out their rules. Well it turns out he basically advised the design team that the NID codex was far too week and he basically walked over their armies, so they kept adding and changing the rules until it became such a mess that they stopped play testing the book. The white dwarf article was done in the released format because it became obvious that things did not work. They even toned down the riptides load out and tailored the report so it looked as if the new NID's could stand up to the best units in the game. it was a lie.

"They basically ran out of time to publish the codex. To make it right, they would likely have to start over again, and the old one was already way behind.

"So somewhere along the line someone high up forced the release, the Models were obviously ready and the penny counters wanted a return, as it costs to sculpt, and they don't want molds sat there for another 6-12 months. The inventory was in supply or on order, so it had to be pushed out.

"Add to this that the reason we don't have the doom or parasite or pod was a hang over of the chapter-house law suit. When that went to court GW decided that they would not be making these models as the cost of the molds and time was too expensive. So the safest way to remove influence from chapter-house, was to make any of the disputed models obsolete. Remove them from the codex.

"We already had the design team at Nottingham give interviews saying they would put right the 5th edition codex, i wonder what they are going to say this time."

http://greenblowfly.blogspot.com/2014/0 ... ds-to.html

Salt to taste... but really difficult can it be? it's not like they don't have practice making codex ever before....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:29 pm 
Little One

Centurion wrote:
3 wounds of rippers should not cost more than 3 termagants. Who thought that was a good idea?

Cruddace? Ah only if Matthew Ward wrote the codex. I would have loved to see what he would have done with Rippers.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:53 pm 
Hatchling

Yea this codex got cruddace written over it. The certain nerfs and pricing decision. From what i know Space Marine turns out to be a competent yet balance codex because Cruddace plays SM and he know there are strengths in the codex thst he cant go all out with the nerfbat.

I wouldnt mind Seeing Ward have a go at it he does have a knack of making units nobody use in previous editions effective.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:01 am 
Big One

I am hoping the sales of the new nid models and codexes goes very poorly. Especially compared to Tau that was sold out and backordered all over the place.

Maybe if it hits them where it hurts-the wallet-they might realize a codex needs to be at least decent if people are going to buy things.

I really don't get that the new models aren't better as they want to push and sell them! If the new models were good I had literially set aside money to buy as many as 3 of each of the crones and 3 Haruspex. Now I am stocking up on used biovores, carnifexes and sticking with my old army for the most part! I might get a few of the new models like a haruspex just because it looks awesome but they lost out on some cash from me. Even the new tyrant warrior box might sell poorly since the prime was nerfed in points, warriors didn't get better and the other new box the hive guard got a crappy upgrade gun and got worse overall as well.

First time I've seen a codex where the new models have bad or sub par rules overall-doesn't help sell models.

5000 Eldar
5500 Marines

In that order!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:51 pm 
Biotitan

The Chaos Marines codex had some new kits that ended up sub par too: Mutilators and Warp Talons (I still love Warp Talons though)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:53 pm 
Big One

KrewL RaiN wrote:
The Chaos Marines codex had some new kits that ended up sub par too: Mutilators and Warp Talons (I still love Warp Talons though)

Very true.

I wonder how many forgefiends they sold versus helldrakes! I would love to know all those stats.

5000 Eldar
5500 Marines

In that order!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:26 pm 
Hormagaunt

I still think this codex has good potential. The main issue that I have seen is players not using enough line of sight blocking terrain. This codex plays well if the board is set up well. And by well I mean adequate LoS blocking terrain. Take it or leave it. Push the terrain issue with your shop and you will see that LoS blocking terrain is the great equalizer. Please don't reply to this with ridiculous posts about needing 15 pieces of LoS terrain to be competitive. Try a few games with 3-5 decent sized pieces and you will prosper. It makes players rely on strategy+OP shooting, instead of justOP shooting.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:51 pm 
Hatchling

From what i know the hiveguard technically sold out when 5th edition codex dropped. It was an effective organism in an edition where people need their expertise. So yes how good they are rule wise is a selling factor.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:20 am 
Medium One

xsquidz wrote:
I really don't get that the new models aren't better as they want to push and sell them!

This is just me, but I half-agree.

I can see GW's point, and yours- good stuff sells. Honestly though I like that they're kind of middle of the road, I'm not big on the whole balance of a codex being reshuffled just to make certain stuff sell more (though I will agree nothing's perfect, so some shuffling's needed of course!).

That said... these are creatures from Epic, the big guns! I'd expect them to be putting Carnifexes to shame.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:22 pm 
Big One

SaxonBattleBorn wrote:
I still think this codex has good potential. The main issue that I have seen is players not using enough line of sight blocking terrain. This codex plays well if the board is set up well. And by well I mean adequate LoS blocking terrain. Take it or leave it. Push the terrain issue with your shop and you will see that LoS blocking terrain is the great equalizer. Please don't reply to this with ridiculous posts about needing 15 pieces of LoS terrain to be competitive. Try a few games with 3-5 decent sized pieces and you will prosper. It makes players rely on strategy+OP shooting, instead of justOP shooting.

the problem with LOS blocking terrain is its simply not practical. that kind of terrain has to be large and with the 6ED rule book it may produce enough terrain but not room enough for large terrain. after you position the first couple pieces their virtually no room for anything but a few trees and rocks. less you playing multiple tables

So its not the codex to blame but the intial rule book. my local game shop has decided on 3rd party fixed terrain. and they are all as similar as possable.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:33 am 
Biotitan

Forest wrote:
SaxonBattleBorn wrote:

the problem with LOS blocking terrain is its simply not practical. that kind of terrain has to be large and with the 6ED rule book it may produce enough terrain but not room enough for large terrain. after you position the first couple pieces their virtually no room for anything but a few trees and rocks. less you playing multiple tables

So its not the codex to blame but the intial rule book. my local game shop has decided on 3rd party fixed terrain. and they are all as similar as possable.

Its not that important that LOS are large. We use big pieces of wood you would normally put in the fire place. One or two LOS Blocker should be fixed on any table to make this game fair.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/Katan+the+Unleashed
5th Dimension Blog:
http://5-th-dimension.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:44 pm 
Big One

you have to figure what doe it take to physicaly block the LOS a small wall or building will suffice for a couple gaunts or a space marine. but when you tring to block for a carnifex you just out of luck./ granted a piece of fire wood works but kind of tackey.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:11 am 
Biotitan

Forest wrote:
you have to figure what doe it take to physicaly block the LOS a small wall or building will suffice for a couple gaunts or a space marine. but when you tring to block for a carnifex you just out of luck./ granted a piece of fire wood works but kind of tackey.

you can glue firewood onto a base, prime and paint it like a cliff. easy to do. not much money involved and effective. We have a simple solution. Each table needs at least 1 LOS blocker that can block ANYTHING in the game except Titans. That includes tyrants with wings and wraith knights. Tau, Eldar and IG are just way to hard to counter

http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/Katan+the+Unleashed
5th Dimension Blog:
http://5-th-dimension.blogspot.com/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1094 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73