Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1094 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 73  Next
 Post subject: January codex (BlaarrrrrglaabblbllrlleleleffllGRABBYTONGUE!)
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:15 am 
Big One

http://natfka.blogspot.ca/2013/08/faeit ... anids.html

Discuss. :)

I really want nids to have a race wide rule similar to battle focus like Eldar that lets us assault after run moves. Make the nid little guys fast and good again!

5500 Marines

In that order!!!

Last edited by xsquidz on Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Nidvember???
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:26 am 
Medium One

NIDVEMBER would be fantastic. I hope the cover of White Dwarf is entitled accordingly. Maybe the cover of our new dex will have a pyrovore on it...........maybe not.

How will nids deal with allies? Will all allied armies be mindslaves or will the nids use a human liaison to forge alliance's, I.e. a genestealer magus would need to be on the board to preserve the alliance?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:56 pm 
Medium One

Remember remember the hordes of Nidvember.
The genestealer's treason and plot.

I'm a little worried about getting my hopes up after three bait and switch we had with the second wave of models.

Still I'd like to see it drop as soon as possible so I can look for new ways to play my gribblies.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:45 am 
Norn Queen wut can has cookie

I'd really love a new codex. I've never been a big fan of our current one, and I hope a new one will inspire me for the tyranids again. I'm also very curious as to how they will go about playing to our strengths and weaknesses. Everyone and their grandma knows we have trouble with flyers, and with more flyers coming out, what now? Will they do the usual go to (we give you a unit with long-range skyfire), or the fight fire with fire option (flyign monstrous creatures that are good at hunting other flyers), or will they do something decidedly niddy? (like the gargoyle-strike invented on this forum, or high-floating spore mines, or something else that's just really different and characterful)

Another weakness: our allies. Or lack thereof. Will there be options? will there be something like a genestealer cult building that allows us to induct allies at the cost of needing to buy a fortification? Will we get re-written like the necrons and suddenly be all talkative and open to cooperation, bro-fisting ultramarines? (gods I hope not)

And then of course, our strengths that seem sometimes to have become somewhat of a liability too. Big monstrous creatures (that die almost as fast as their points cost increased) and melee combat (which seems to keep getting the short end of the stick compared to shooting). Will we be allowed to sweeping advance old (4th ed) style? Will we get to fleet and assault, like suggested earlier? will we get something akin to assault grenades, or another (niddy) way around that? Will the Endless Swarm feel like an Endless Swarm again?

All in all, lots to look forward too, but also lots to dread :)
I'm at least hoping we get a good fluff writer. So that we don't end up being beaten at our own game by an unimportant enemy which then in turn gets utterly destroyed by a third party, in our own codex, at least.

Hive Fleet Charybdis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:53 am 
Hierophant

The rumours sound promising but then that is also how it started with the cruddex.
I hope that GW can find a competent writer and not some butthurt IG fanboy who got sad because nids beat his guardsmen.

Time will tell.

What fate is worse than beeing captured alive by the enemy? Why being captured, subjected to a weird alien vivisection and finally broken down into your constituent parts to form more of the foe, of course!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:43 pm 
Medium One

I'll look forward to it because I can't imagine it will be worse than what we have. Hopefully Kelly will be writing it like the last one, as he usually does a good job of the xenos. Aside from general re-balancing with costs and upgrades and the ability to close to combat quicker, I'd like to see some sort of 'rapid mutation' rule where you can select a special rule for your army at the start of the game instead of rolling a warlord trait.

As for rumours - I don't trust them until we start getting pics. I remember some of the rumours for the last codex and how dramatically wrong they were.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:17 pm 
Monstrosity

Not holding my breath, but it would be nice. I'm hoping for a couple things:

An actual model of the Mycetic Spore and Harpy;

Actual useful units outside the Tervigon and Flyrant;

Maybe not have a full two thirds of the codex not represented by Finecast, 3rd edition models, or not modeled at all.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:41 pm 
Big One

My hunch that we will get our own versions of what we've been seeing in the other codex releases:

* Sky Fire
* A unique rule associated with Move, Shooting, or Assault (My bet is on Assault)
* A 'nid psychic powers table and adjustments/alignments of psychic levels within the units
* A flyer and/or "something big"
* A couple more models of existing units
* Maybe something unexpected that's uniquely 'niddish, like a revamping of synapse, instinctive behavior, SiTW, or an overhaul of biomorphs.

Plus a sprinkling of unit profile changes. We've all got our preferences, no sense wishlisting.

I'm not expecting anything game changing or earthshattering. If we get just one more competitive build I would call it a success.

Hive Fleet Antiquitus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:11 pm 
Little One

Over at BoLS they have a list of models that may be coming our way but the latest update has this

Quote:
Altered FOC to help counter the lack of Allies. 3 HQ, 4 Elite, 6 Troop, 4 Fast, 4Heavy. Purchasing the 3rd HQ choice unlocks the extra Elite, Fast, and Heavy slots.

Termagants – Gain Fleet. New 10 unit box. Includes options for Spike rifles and Strangleweb. Curled tails. No rippers on sprues.

"BIG BUG" – Larger than Tervigon sized HQ unit. Oval base, hunched over, but wider. Has 18” synapse. Psyker 4. Prime version: Grants FNP and Counter Attack to Nids in 12.” Stats like Tervigon, except 2A. SitW

Altered FOC soudns interesting - A Flyrant and two Primes, or Flyrant one Prime and a Tervigon, I could manage that.

As for the big bug, if it's true - well it'll be expensive real money wise for something 'big' but if it's the same stats as a Tervigon I think I'd just rather have another Tervigon, even if it is boring. I hated painting mine anyway because it was SO big and became monotonous, can't imagine I'd want to payout for something even more teeth-grinding. As for game cost, I bet it'll be steep for all those benefits and you get those as Psychic Power upgrades on a Tervigon anyway, although you'll only be able to cast one of them. Nothing new to get excite dat in that model :(

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:04 pm 
Monstrosity

A re-worked Exocrine, or something else, that could engage the enemy at range would be nice. Really, the 'nids need some way to get their troops into assault.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:15 pm 
Medium One

We just need options.

Currently our strategy is blanket the board till we can't be pushed off of it fast enough. I'd like to choose a different playstyle on occasion.

And as much as I love the old psychic choir builds we're beginning much too dependent on our psykers these days.

Still can't wait to see what the new coded brings in terms of options and whether we'll get some variant of mutable genus through a supplement. .

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:41 pm 
Biotitan

I can guarantee that no matter what comes out in the new codex complaints about it will be plentiful. :roll:

The new 6e codexes that have come out have had some nice wrinkles that are very army-specific thus far:
  • CSM: Challenge perks for characters that exemplify the randomness of Chaos
  • Daemons: Enough new units and rules tweaks to benefit those who want to play mono-god lists, as well as army-wide "shooting" in the form of the Warp Storm table
  • Tau: Suppression fire that highlights the ranged capabilities of the army per fluff
    [*}Eldar: Battle Focus that highlights the mobility and speed of the army per fluff

I skipped over Dark Angels because I haven't read the codex, faced it enough to know what they received that's fluff-come-to-life, or have any friends who use them to inform me of it.

If this trend continues, I suspect we'll see one major rules tweak to put us at an advantage that also follows fluff. Some possibilities include:
  • Purchasable "mutations" that allow the army to buy a list-wide Special Rule with a coinciding penalty to balance it out
  • Roll a d6 when a unit is destroyed; a 6 allows that unit to go into reserves (mimicking the notion of Without Number so often referenced in fluff). Limitations on non-HQ FOC slot units or non-Synapse units.
  • Roll 3d6 on Assault rolls, keeping the highest two, with the option to reroll 1 or more dice for Fleet if the unit happens to have it.
  • Armorbane being more prevalent with CC attacks

No idea if any of these are in it. Just spitballing some ideas in the spirit of what we've seen in 6e so far. Regardless what comes of it, I look forward to trying the new codex out and adapting to the new paradigm! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:19 am 
Biotitan

According to Bell of Lost Souls:

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2013/08/ ... oming.html

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Altered FOC to help counter the lack of Allies. 3 HQ, 4 Elite, 6 Troop, 4 Fast, 4Heavy. Purchasing the 3rd HQ choice unlocks the extra Elite, Fast, and Heavy slots.

Termagants – Gain Fleet. New 10 unit box. Includes options for Spike rifles and Strangleweb. Curled tails. No rippers on sprues.

"BIG BUG" – Larger than Tervigon sized HQ unit. Oval base, hunched over, but wider. Has 18” synapse. Psyker 4. Prime version: Grants FNP and Counter Attack to Nids in 12.” Stats like Tervigon, except 2A. SitW

Two new Tyranid psychic powers lists. One list is destructive powers, one is augmentative powers.

Tervigon – Upgrade options for Termagant spawns to give them full options, but they are quite pricey.

Tyrant Guard and Hive Guard -Dual-build plastic kit. 3 models. All options for either unit.

Lictors – small point increase, gain new “Surprise!” rule (all shots against Lictors the turn after they appear are snap shots). DeathLeaper now an upgrade character.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Things that make you go hmmmmmmm....

I Spent 90% of My Money on Women and Warhammer. The Rest I Wasted....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:20 am 
Hatchling

My 2 cent guesses...

Skyfire and/or Inteceptor will be given to Hive Guard (Maybe Skyfire is an upgrade)
Maybe Pyro's will be able to be added to horde units like an upgraded character instead of being the exploding fish barrel they are now
Lictors may work more like Ymgarl 'stealers (ie they're actually hidden and can assault when revealed)
Faster units like hormagaunts and raveners may be given a jink-like save after moving and running
Multiple Fex models, with different stats depending on focus (cc, range etc.)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:08 am 
Broodling

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2013/08/40k-rumors-tyranids.html

-Tyranids are after Space Marines
-Look for them before the end of the year

New Minis:
Tyranid Prime (finecast)

Harpy. Roughly size of the heldrake. Pretty much looks like the picture in prior codex.

Doom of Malantai (clamshell package)

Parasite of Mordrax (clamshell package)

Termagant sprues recut for more options (some chatter says Genestealers)

Mycetic Spore

New "Big Bug" kit (Because every army needs one!)

New Rules:
Pyrovore gains Torrent and a steep points reduction.

Hiveguard gain Skyfire

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1094 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 73  Next