Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Theory Crafting Carnage
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:49 pm 
Monstrosity

I took the last edition off and didn't play much in the one previous to that. Now that nids are viable again, that's hopefully going to change. Been a long time.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:56 am 
Harpy

I was going to write a long analysis of the whole list of Tyranids, weapons, etc, but since I haven't played any games (and clearly others have) I will hold back.

I am very curious about the results of people's games so far. I am really curious about a few things in particular:

* Spinefists on CC critters, like Warriors, Shrikes, Raveners, and CC Hive Tyrants. It seems as though it would be a good option to deal with the possibility of being tarpitted with low-grade crappies, especially since there's very little benefit in having two CCWs (unless its' scything talons).

* CC Tyrant: math-hammer says that monstrous rending claws (+ toxin sacs) are the best against monster and vehicles, followed by two sets of scytals, followed last by monstrous boneswords. Does that bear out in actual play?

* Specific shooting weapons seem much improved (I'm looking specifically at both versions of deathspitter, warrior venom cannon, rupture cannon, impaler cannon, tentaclids, barbed strangler and stranglethorn cannon, etc, and the double-shot options on the MC shooters), in combination with the changes to blast weapons making them effective against all targets and usable near friendly units without fear, and the auto-split-fire for all units. How are shooty lists doing? Are the improvements enough to make them worth taking?

* Shooting options seem much less powerful per "weapon slot" than CCWs, but are dependent on the ability to get into melee. It seems as though the ruleset is much more supportive of getting into close combat. Are pure-CC options on creatures that have options (Tyrants, Fexes, Warriors, Shrikes, etc) viable now? I would love to know that a bonesword/spinefist/flesh hook adrenal warrior would be a viable option.

* Boneswords vs. Lashwhip+Bonesword? I'm not seeing much utility in the lashwhip, as it no longer helps pre-kill the enemy, making it really only useful once per model (and only if you get charged or choose to soak up an attack first).

* Mathhammer says Sv4+ and AP4 (now AP-1) are by far the most improved with the new scheme, along with multi-wound infantry (due to the removal of Instant Death). Does this make Warrior-sized creatures as much more survivable as it seems, or do high-damage weapons negate this advantage?

* The combination of controllable reserves, controllable deepstrike, controllable psyker powers, and the swarmlord's special ability + onslaught seems to invite turn 1 assaults with pretty much anything, as long as you're willing to pay the high price of the swarmlord (probably worth it, he looks pretty decent).

* Detachments. Oh yes. I put together a minimum cost brigade for less than 800 points (it sucked, but still). It looks like Nids are well-positioned to rack up large amounts of command points. How important are CPs to the game?

That's it for now. Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:25 pm 
Monstrosity

I could see lashwhips being useful in a first strike unit. Warriors in a snotpod, GS cult causing some damage to elite units, shield/bubblewrap unit that guarantees even a high-init assaulting unit will still get hit.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:34 pm 
Big One

FAQ's and more!

https://www.warhammer-community.com/201 ... ge-post-1/

5000 Eldar
5500 Marines

In that order!!!