Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New 40k, new Nids, new tactics... where?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:03 am 
Broodling

The new 40k is out, indexes for every army all over and what do we meanwhile as we wait for Tyranids getting a new codex at some day?

What makes me wonder most is there here is no response at all. Are you guys still in interstellar hibernation?

Time to wake up and rustling up the spawn vats.

I must admit, I had not played a game yet and mostlikely I won't be able to before August. But my Nids hunger for new biomass and I quite like the new rule setting. On a few things is it still a bit odd. The idea of vehicles behaving like any other models is... a two edged blade.
I see the benefit from esier rules, but with such mass of LP to take down simple vehicles is no loger as interesting as before. A slight tweak would been nice. At least fliers do get that...

And we nids? We can finally embrace our genestealer children and grandchildren of the cults in true niddy ways. Even with help from human prey...

Since no one here shared some XP with us, it looks like we need to muster other hive fleet agents and look what I have found:
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000/Tactics/Tyranids(8E)

Post subject: Re: New 40k, new Nids, new tactics... where?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:58 am 
Little One

I had a few 750 pts games against IG. Lost both (We just wanted to try the new rules). Even though he couldn't get through my Tervigon 20 termagants blop of unbreakable rock in the first game. The second game he was extremely lucky with rolls. Took initiative, shot my 10 gargs with 1 squad of 10 tempestus and downed my flying Hive Tyrant at turn 1. That hurt quite much.

IG got some serious firepower and their orders just seem insane at the moment.

Also, the new LOS rules are rather silly. "Hey, I can see the tip of that sword on your unit. My tank fires at it and breaks it".

I do like how things run a lot more fluent now. I like the easy psychic fase. Also, I do like the change to tanks and monsters. They can be killed by a lot of infantry, but it will be hard. A lascannon hurts big stuff like hell, but feels like a total waste on infantry units. I like that change a lot.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:04 pm 
Monstrosity

Something that's VERY interesting, given the new rules, is that Venomthropes have the "Fly" Keyword. That makes them very, very interesting, tactics-wise.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:27 pm 
Broodling

@Teodo

I assume to make things even less complex as it is now already, they added these LOS-rules to ensure hiding is so hard that you can always shoot on something.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:41 pm 
Mawloc Prime

I've been finding it hard to pull away from playing Malifaux to get back into the 40k feel... even though one of my Tau friends bought all the new books, so I can play, but haven't the desire to yet.

Also, with the system wide "hit and run" rule (fall back I think it's called), the whole purpose behind my 150 hormagaunt army getting dug into melee becomes epically useless. When/If I do dive back in, it's gonna be a lot of games to try to learn a whole new strategy of playing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:18 pm 
Little One

Wolfstone wrote:
@Teodo

I assume to make things even less complex as it is now already, they added these LOS-rules to ensure hiding is so hard that you can always shoot on something.

They definitely did that, which is a good thought. This way, people are not arguing whether they can see 25% of a model or not etc.
Cover rules also got a lot more simpler.
All in all, all the basic rules got a lot more clear and simple, which is a really great thing. I had the feeling that the game was running a lot more smoothly than it ever has.

I just need a better gaming board :P More terrain would help a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:02 am 
Monstrosity

HiveFleetOda wrote:
I've been finding it hard to pull away from playing Malifaux to get back into the 40k feel... even though one of my Tau friends bought all the new books, so I can play, but haven't the desire to yet.

Also, with the system wide "hit and run" rule (fall back I think it's called), the whole purpose behind my 150 hormagaunt army getting dug into melee becomes epically useless. When/If I do dive back in, it's gonna be a lot of games to try to learn a whole new strategy of playing.

Still learning the rules, but most units, if they "Fall Back," can't shoot, so it's still viable to tarpit an army. The danger is trying that against vehicles - send your hormies against troops and you'll be fine.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:21 am 
Big One

Snapdragon wrote:
HiveFleetOda wrote:

Still learning the rules, but most units, if they "Fall Back," can't shoot, so it's still viable to tarpit an army. The danger is trying that against vehicles - send your hormies against troops and you'll be fine.

Hormagaunts are great vs vehicles and great in general because of the 6 inch pile in and consolidate. Charge one unit, the pile/consolidate into others without suffering overwatch, sure they get to attack you in CC but then they can't shoot next turn. This works really well vs vehicles because they don't hit hard in CC and then they need to fall back and can't shoot. If the enemies are bunched up, CC can ruin them.

Other fun tactics, take a swarmlord in a drop pod. He can start 9.1" away, then with his special ability he can move again in the shooting phase 9" and it guarantees a first turn charge with him or turn 2/3, whenever you bring him in. He makes an expensive distraction carnifex but it can work plus he will do some good damage before he dies.

Other "tactics" if you want to call them that are more just interesting things I have learned. Harpies can move 30" and still assault... if there is something at the back that you want to tie up from shooting, harpies can do it. I feel like hive guard are back. Hitting on 3's again is huge and S8 means you actually wound on 2+ vs marines etc, so shoot that annoying devastator squad in cover and you hit on 3's, wound on 2's and they only get a 5+ save since it ignores cover. But they can also shoot stuff out of LOS still and the gun is all around good. I am thinking of taking 9 in my truely competitive lists.

5000 Eldar
5500 Marines

In that order!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:51 pm 
Broodling

HiveFleetOda wrote:

They can't fall back if they are surrounded. No where to fall back to, thus in numbers that you have posted it is just a matter of being able to encircle them. As it is no longer charge the closet model you can use the full charge range to get as many around as you can then use the pile in to get them closer to the nearest model.

Unless I am missing something, that seems to be what our large units should be doing when charging.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:29 pm 
Monstrosity

Az- wrote:
HiveFleetOda wrote:

They can't fall back if they are surrounded. No where to fall back to, thus in numbers that you have posted it is just a matter of being able to encircle them. As it is no longer charge the closet model you can use the full charge range to get as many around as you can then use the pile in to get them closer to the nearest model.

Unless I am missing something, that seems to be what our large units should be doing when charging.

Bubblewrap tanks - Hormies should rock at that with their huge pile-in.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:42 am 
Little One

For all the streamlining the intricacies of assault and judging what is within 1" of the assaulted unit is probably open to debate and frustration. Think about all our clawed hordes - Hormagaunts tipping over, genestealers with claws holding each other at bay and preventing you positioning them as close you can so not all the bordd get within that 1"+1" of a model. It's far from streamlined and then you'll have your opponents saying some aren't in because those stealer will just wreck pretty much anything with weight of numbers...

[Open in new window]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:02 pm 
Tyranid Warrior

I've managed to get four games in with the new edition, so far. A couple of the tips I've picked up, first don't hang your characters and Monstrous Creatures out to dry. While resilient, they are not invincible. Second, we are fast. I played Tau the other night and was surprised how quickly I got across the table into him. Third, don't underestimate how important an advantage synapse is for us. Being in synapse range can mean the difference between a horde evaporating and wiping out another enemy squad.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:46 am 
Biotitan

Take a peek at this Gallery.

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/HiveFleet ... +Big+Game/

One of the things that other armies cannot do is deal enough damage to the number of bodies we can throw at them!
'Nids are Fast, Real FAST! We also don't eat ourselves if we lose combat now!
Instinctive Behavior isn't all that dangerous to us now, but Synapse is still important!

I Spent 90% of My Money on Women and Warhammer. The Rest I Wasted....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:09 am 
Mawloc Prime

I'm gonna be doing a multi person 500 point learner game today... we'll see how that goes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:09 pm 
Biomass

I have played several games and had great fun using trygons to pop large chunks of my army up behind the enemy. Beats the heck out of trying to bring a genestealer swarm across the battle field under heavy fire. Nothing says "shoot me first" like a swarm of genestealers.