Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Dipped my toe in 8th
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:34 am 
Mawloc Prime

So played a 500 point 4 corner match so all 4 of us could get into the game again. Didn't try optimal build, just grabbed some stuff so see how the rules worked. Was, clockwise, Tyranids, Eldar, Necron, Space Marines.

I took 10 AG Hormagaunts, 3 Rippers, a Tyranid Prime with Bone Swords and Scything Talons, a Carnifex with a pair of MST and Bioplasma, 4 Zoentrhope with a Nureothrope, and a Lictor.

Eldar took 10 Rangers, a Farseer, 6? Wraith Guard, and some other troop.

Necrons took Command Barge, Triarch Stalker and 15ish Warriors.

Space Marines took 10 Marines, 3 Bikes, Librarian on a bike and a Dreadnaught.

No scenario, no terrain, no objectives, just play to get used to it on the Necron Player's Dining Room table.

-------------
Zoentrhopes with a Neurothope is pretty vile. Healing built into the damage dealing is impressive, and Smite can still be done in melee to people you aren't in melee with is so safe, living off that 3++ save still.

I fell if I take Hormagaunts in large numbers they will be amazing. they lasted one round and did oh so much terror inducing with the speed of their movement plus the bonus inch with Adrenal Glands.

The Tyranid prime was underwhelming, as much slower than the things he should be holding in synapse and still no option for wings to stay with Shrikes. I'll probably make to switch to a Broodlord HQ going forward.

Lictor stays terrifying. Lictor stays relevent. Lictor stays cheap. Lictor now give a penalty to hit in melee as well as ranged combat. The only downside now is no squads anymore; they take up a whole Elite choice on their own, while 6 Zenthropes are also one Elite choice.... might only take Lictors in big games then. Also, Deathleaper is also now back to an Elite choice as well.

Carnifex is a big target, and a versatile one at that. It is really a big beat stick and a valid one, and with a faster move it's rightfully scary. I like the option of the Scything Tail if he gets surrounded by lots of small things. Also, units of 3 that separate after deployment? Yeah I'm down with that.

Rippers now have have an option for a Pistol weapon called Spinemaws, which read as Pistol 4. I took them because i wanted to play with the pistol rule. So, if you're in melee, during your own shooting phase, you can still shoot people you are engaged with, but only with Pistols. It was pretty ineffective, but I like the concept behind it. Also, flying or walking Rippers are the exact same point cost, so there's that.

-------------------
Farseer is the exact same psychic badass you remember, buffing and debuffing and singing spears of epic epicness.

Rangers became a lesser version of themselves due to the over all rules change, but shooing characters with a S4 gun still has it's benefits.

Wraith Guards are still the individual power Houses they used to be, but they did down down D-Scythes a lot; D-Cannons, still destructive as always.

--------------------
WARNING!!!! Be Aware of Necrons and QUANTUM SHIELDING!
Both the Barge and the Stalked had them. If you take multiple wounds, roll a d6; if you roll less than the number of wounds you are taking, you ignore ALL THE WOUNDS!!!!
So if you do 5 wounds to it, on a 4 or less they never happened. Not usable against Mortal Wounds, but still. The bigger the gun, the less effective it becomes.

Warriors can keep trying to get up on a 5+ at the beginning of every turn, no matter how many times it failed previously. Necrons lost a total of 19 warriors during the game, still had 6 left at the end.

---------------------
I cannot give a proper description of how the Space Marines did because the player's dice decided to hop up and put the player in a rear naked choke the whole game, not getting a psychic power off for 6 turns and not wounding anything from turns 2-5.

Dreadnaught, which now can shoot all weapons, is AMAZING!!!!!!!!
====================

Over all, the turns move quickly due to the streamlining of the rules, and once you get the hang of it it's old hat again. Like riding a bike. I'll try some different stuff next time, maybe touch the Genestealers again, even though they look a might overpowered, get that Broodlord in, any possibly test the shell of it's former self the Mawloc has been relegated to.

Post subject: Re: Dipped my toe in 8th
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:01 pm 
Biomass

One brief note on ripper swarms. Even though they are the same cost, the walking ones count as troops, while the flyings ones count as fast attack. You'll need the walking ones if you are building a battle forged Brigade and need troop choices. The walking ones also burrow which is almost as cool as flying (perfect for surfacing on undefended but out-of-reach objectives on the last turn of the game).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:35 am 
Big One

imrenid wrote:
One brief note on ripper swarms. Even though they are the same cost, the walking ones count as troops, while the flyings ones count as fast attack. You'll need the walking ones if you are building a battle forged Brigade and need troop choices. The walking ones also burrow which is almost as cool as flying (perfect for surfacing on undefended but out-of-reach objectives on the last turn of the game).

Now you need to surface on turn 3 on the units get auto destroyed in reserves, so you can't pop out last turn, but its still a very viable option to pop out turn 3 and try to hide on an objective until turn 5-7 and it ends.

5000 Eldar
5500 Marines

In that order!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:06 pm 
Monstrosity

I seriously think, in most cases, people should wait until that turn 3 to pop up their reserves in most cases. Usually by turn 2, the 'nids have engaged the enemy and started swamping them.

If you pop up in turn 1, as enticing as that is, it seems like a really good way to get your big, ace-in-the-hole bugs popped in the first round (Trygons, Mawlocks, etc).