Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Lost Patrol
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:34 am 
Norn Queen wut can has cookie

Has anyone played lost patrol? Game with genestealers and marine scouts? How is it? What's it like?

Hive Fleet Charybdis

Post subject: Re: Lost Patrol
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:40 am 
Great Devourer

I've had a couple of quick games of it. It is hard not to compare it to Space Hulk.

In comparison to Space Hulk it plays much faster. A game can be over in 10-15 minutes. The genestealer player has more to think about in Lost Patrol, as (s)he is the one who places the hex tiles as the game goes on.

The space marine scout player really has it stacked against them. Not only are the genestealers super deadly (yay!), they are very fast, and horrifyingly mobile . The jungle itself is trying to kill your scouts too. (Which is why the genestealer player gets to lay out the board.) I don't know that the scouts have as much tactical depth as the terminators do in Space Hulk. Just hard decisions every turn as the jungle keeps moving.

It's fun enough. I think it is best described as a gap filler game. It takes up little space, is quick to learn and the games can be over quickly. It isn't a game you'd plan a night around like 40K or Space Hulk.

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:26 am 
Deathleaper

FYI: This month's White Dwarf has rules for using Teminators in Lost Patrol instead of Scouts.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:59 am 
Little One

ProjectThanatos wrote:
FYI: This month's White Dwarf has rules for using Teminators in Lost Patrol instead of Scouts.

yeah, also if you guys have some of the other games (Deathwatch Overkill, Space Hulk (2009 or 2014), The Horus Heresy: Betrayal at Calth, Lost Patrol, Assassinorum: Execution Force, Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower, Gorechosen, or Stormcloud Attack) I would def sugest you pick it up for no other reason then to give the games a bit of spice every now and then.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:47 am 
Broodling

I played it regulary and even 2nd grade groundschool kids could understand the rules.
It is quite rediculous how the odds are against the marines and I say that here as a Tyranid player.
The times where I feel sympathy for my prey is usually... non-existent.

But honestly, unless you have the ability to roll 6s on demand, this game is simply a "how far can you get"-game with marine scouts.