Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: FW Imperial Space Marine (Plague Marine)
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:53 pm 
Big One

Well it has been a long time, nearly 2 years but I've been itching to do some painting and conversion. Though I know it is not a bug but I always liked this model. So I got the Forgeworld status and decided to do a plague marine out of it and wanted to share my work and see what ya'all thought. Work is slow since I have to wait till the little "ripper" is off to bed or taking a nap but here it is so far.

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

Post subject: Re: FW Imperial Space Marine (Plague Marine)
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:30 am 
Little One

Wow! Very impressive!
With these photos, i could imagine the backstory how he turned to a plague marine :D
(b~_^)b (b~_^)b (b~_^)b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:48 pm 
Great Devourer

Beautifully nurglified model Pittman. :D I particularly like that you've made the horns look like they have grown from the marine and pushed though this armour in times past. That is a cute detail. :wink:

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:59 pm 
Big One

Thanks, I got the pack pretty much done last night but didn't have time to take any pics. I got a few final touch-ups to do and add a few more effects and it should be done. It always surprises me taking pics of the model and seeing all the spots you missed. :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:36 pm 
Big One

Well here is the final work.

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

Sorry for the blurry image
[Open in new window]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:07 am 
Great Devourer

Nice Pittman, the backpack finishes the piece nicely. And I appreciate that you've extended the heat vents a little to hint at the Chaos marine change, but not so much that it unbalances the look of the model. That was a clever choice.

I'm not sold on the head of the vanquished loyalist though. (But that is personal taste.)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:23 pm 
Big One

Yaleling wrote:
Nice Pittman, the backpack finishes the piece nicely. And I appreciate that you've extended the heat vents a little to hint at the Chaos marine change, but not so much that it unbalanced the look of the model. That was a clever choice.

I'm not sold on the head of the vanquished loyalist though. (But that is personal taste.)
Thank you, what would you have liked to see on the head if I may ask.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:50 pm 
Great Devourer

Pittman wrote:
You're welcome mate. I do think you did a good job with it. :wink:

Please bear in mind this is just tinkering at the margin - the model is a nice piece regardless. The base of a diorama adds context to a model (and good scenic bases in the games scale are the same). I thought the base was great in the first photos of it. The tumbled down pillar or machine pieces look like they have happened a while ago and hints at a nice eternity of war story. And then adding the grenade didn't detract from that at all.
Adding the bolt pistol and head advances the story, and that can be cool too. (So long as the extra story is worth a little bit of clutter.) I can see two broad things that could have happened, either the Imperial Fist has just been slain and his wargear and head freshly discarded; or it could have happened some time ago.
If it is fresh then the bolt pistol is okay sitting up where is it. If it had been there a while it would have settled into the terrain a bit. The head looks great with the knife. That is done nicely. I just think that it needs to interact with the base a little bit. If it has just been let drop moments ago then a little blood seep in the rocks is needed to look right. And unfocusing the remaining eye would add a little bit of macabre detail too. If it has been there for a short time already then more so than the bolt pistol I think it needs to settle into the base.

Does that make sense? And it may not even be worth the effort of changing anything. I do like the model :D and I'm not sure that what I've just said is much more than me over-thinking things. :P

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:43 pm 
Big One

Yaleling wrote:
Pittman wrote:
You're welcome mate. I do think you did a good job with it. :wink:

Please bear in mind this is just tinkering at the margin - the model is a nice piece regardless. The base of a diorama adds context to a model (and good scenic bases in the games scale are the same). I thought the base was great in the first photos of it. The tumbled down pillar or machine pieces look like they have happened a while ago and hints at a nice eternity of war story. And then adding the grenade didn't detract from that at all.
Adding the bolt pistol and head advances the story, and that can be cool too. (So long as the extra story is worth a little bit of clutter.) I can see two broad things that could have happened, either the Imperial Fist has just been slain and his wargear and head freshly discarded; or it could have happened some time ago.
If it is fresh then the bolt pistol is okay sitting up where is it. If it had been there a while it would have settled into the terrain a bit. The head looks great with the knife. That is done nicely. I just think that it needs to interact with the base a little bit. If it has just been let drop moments ago then a little blood seep in the rocks is needed to look right. And unfocusing the remaining eye would add a little bit of macabre detail too. If it has been there for a short time already then more so than the bolt pistol I think it needs to settle into the base.

Does that make sense? And it may not even be worth the effort of changing anything. I do like the model :D and I'm not sure that what I've just said is much more than me over-thinking things. :P
Thanks for the feedback and some good advice. Sometimes I get wrapped up in the painting and conversion that I overlook the theme of the whole thing.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:56 pm 
Big One

Some better pics of the model.

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]