Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Is this list too good?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:42 pm 
Biomass

I have just returned to 40k.. today, my first game since 2nd edition. It is to a group of 4 other players who are also just returning to it so there is no meta as such yet.
Today the game was 1500 points with no clue of opponent.
I ran:

warlord tyrant wings, 2X TLD, electrogrubs
Tyrant wings, 2X TLD, electrogrubs
2 single venomthropes
unit of 2 zoanthropes
2 single carnifex with AG and 2XTLD
1 Hive crone
1 unit of 30 termagants with fleshborers
1 Tervigon with CC
1 mucolid to use the last few points.

I ended up facing a nurgle army with typhus, unit of 7 nurgle terminators, defiler, unit of 20 nurgle marines with plasma and a flying nurgle demon prince.

4 objectives, deploying along long edge, i got first turn.

His demon prince warlord was in the open, at the front..so as about the only thing I thought might be a threat to my fliers both tyrants flew up and wiped him out with devourer shots.

At that point not only did my opponent pretty much rage quit the game but two of the other people also said they wouldn't play it, fliers are stupid, one saying his army would have no chance against it (SW terminators, whole army, with thunderhammer storm shields and the other a necron player).
The only one who was still happy to play was the tau player.
They ignored the fact that this isn't the best list that could have been made.. and ignored the fact it would be stupid for me to run CC tyranids just so his terminators could wipe me out at their perfect game situation.

Is the army I took that good that it should make three people rage quit in turn one of a 1v1 game?

Post subject: Re: Is this list too good?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:37 pm 
Medium One

I think your list is pretty strong for one that doesn't use formations. It certainly could be stronger, but it is pretty tough for a newbie to deal with. Honestly flyers are kind of a pain for players who aren't expecting them.

You might be best off creating a list that better fits with the style of the other players, and save your optimal one for 'try hard' games. As much as it is childish to rage quit after turn one, it is also no fun for you or your opponents, so probably best to tone it down for now if you have to play with them.

Post subject: Re: Is this list too good?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:48 pm 
Great Devourer

Hi cullyn1189, welcome back. :D

That sucks for a return to 40K game and game fallout. :( Your list was pretty solid. I'd say it isn't that much tougher than what I field in my casual games.

I don't have any tips either. This is that 'finding the local power level with your friends problem' that you'd remember from second end. Balance is sooooooo much better now than back then, and you didn't bring a crazily tough list. Tyranids are far from the toughest army around too. Your gaming buddies just experienced some serious shock at the lethality of seventh ed.

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/