Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Yaleopolis - my WIP urban terrain.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:12 pm 
Great Devourer

Hi fellow Warpshadowians,
I've made enough progress on my Cities of Death terrain set to not be embarrassed to show it. They may be imperial buildings, but take heart as they are all in ruins (and the inhabitants dragged off the the digestion pools :P ).

The first building I wanted was copied straight out of the CoD book. I just kinda liked it. Once it was done I realised it looked quite like a mausoleum, so I based it as such.
[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

Yale's hard won lessons in CoD terrain building #1. Use darker base colours. As much as I like this building, the grey is too light for the highlights to really show.

The next building I made was a small ruined manufactorum. And I wanted to try something different with the colours.
[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

Yale's hard won lessons in CoD terrain building #2
. What ever you do, don't try to ink a building to black. :P I got the colour I wanted eventually, but it took an entire bottle of Brazen Brass and almost as much Black Ink. Both of those are discontinued and I'll never replace them, and I could have gotten a similar effect with a black spray undercoat and brass drybrush for 90% less time and paint cost. :wink:

Yale's hard won lessons in CoD terrain building #3
. Plan your buildings. I like the shape of this piece, but with all the inside corners I could have made 2 similar size terrain pieces with the same parts.

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

Post subject: Re: Yaleopolis - my WIP urban terrain.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:11 pm 
Biotitan

Cant wait to see all the buildings together! Also, what is that cute little stompa thing in the back of the first picture? xP

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:02 am 
Monstrosity

That last pic you appear to have in infestation of marines...
Should get that seen to before they start breeding

Hive Fleet Munchkin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:15 am 
Norn Queen wut can has cookie

I think you did well on the manufactorum Yale. Might be you used a lot of walls to make those inside corners, but damn, do they look sweet!

Sometimes you just need to use a bit more material to get that really neat look.

Hive Fleet Charybdis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:14 pm 
Great Devourer

Yonny - Thanks. I guess you are right. Trying to do things on the cheap doesn't always get good results. And terrain that is fun to interact with is more important than quantity.

DeeJay - You're quite right. One termagant just wasn't enough to hold the ground sadly. :P

KrewL RaiN wrote:
Cant wait to see all the buildings together! Also, what is that cute little stompa thing in the back of the first picture? xP
Nooooooo! You can't see my stompa yet! :oops: (It is still pretty rough and very much a work in progress. Let me try out a couple of paint schemes before I brave posting it publicly. :P)
But now that the sun is up I'll photograph some of the rest of the buildings for you.

This one is an oversized Basilica Administratum. Once I build it I realised It was too large for the pavement/sidewalk edges the others have so I left them off. And it was originally another storey higher. But it was a pain to transport, and store, and was distracting in games, so I shortened it.
[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

Yale's hard won lessons in CoD terrain building #4. Just as #2 says don't ink buildings. This one is don't get impatient and use Citadel washes on large buildings. They work perfectly, but are grossly inefficient cost wise. This piece took 2 whole bottles of gryphone sepia and ogryn flesh. (It turns out some lessons you need to learn twice! :P)

This next one is a snap together kit from Pegasus games. I needs a bit more work and a base but is usable in games as it is for now.
[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

This power plant is another Pegasus kit. I can't decide how it base it though. Any ideas?
[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

And here is the terrain so far.
[Open in new window]

The next step is to base the 2 almost finished buildings. That would pretty much be enough to start playing on a 4'x4' board. (Standard size for CoD games.) Then I need to paint and base the next two buildings and finish my barricades and stuff. That would be enough for a 6'x4' full sized board. And finally I want to make a dedicated board with recess for the buildings (since they are all on 10"x10" bases) and roads. I reckon this will take a while to finish.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:23 pm 
Great Devourer

Yaleling wrote:
KrewL RaiN wrote:
...Also, what is that cute little stompa thing in the back of the first picture? xP
Nooooooo! You can't see my stompa yet! :oops: (It is still pretty rough and very much a work in progress. Let me try out a couple of paint schemes before I brave posting it publicly.)

*slaps forehead*

I just reviewed my last post for speeling eroors and realised I forgot to move the stompa I said you can't see yet before taking the next lot of pictures. :roll: (I'm not real sharp this morning....) I'm not going to reshoot or crop those pictures, so lets call it a teaser until I sort the paint scheme out. :P

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:09 pm 
Biotitan

Electrical utilities like transformers are usually fenced in with gravel bedding.

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

http://www.terna.it/Portals/0/Immagini/ ... 3U1424.JPG

3rd one looks like wild grass patches, and some steel beams laying around.

*eye spies more potato stompah and some crazy looking flyrant.. oh dang its just a dragon lol.. or is it... aaaaaaaa brainz splode*

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:32 am 
Big One

hi yaleling,

those buildings look really good. a really nice detail is the tiled floor inside of the first building.

i wonder why you needed that much ink. are those the new or the old ones??

i only know the old ones and for doing buildings i always thin them down pretty much and than it works very good without to much ink used. but i don´t know about the new ones.
and of course, use the biggest brush u can find. this will make inking buildings much faster.

on thing that could be improved are the connection between walls and base. it looks like the walls are just sat upon the floors, i miss some dirt, rubble and stuff that is built up on the lowest past of the walls.
nothing really big, but it will add to the whole look of it.

seeya harald

http://www.pocitolocito.com
http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Hive-Fleet-Nautilus/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:56 pm 
Great Devourer

Thanks for the pics KrewL. (I edited the last img tag as the photo was so huge.) I think the gravel could look quite good. I now need to decide between finding some more stuff to make up a 10"x10" base like the other buildings or mounting it on a smaller base.
(Now that I think about it, a gravel base with a chain link security fence around it could look pretty good. Hmmmmm. Oh and some danger signs......)

Thank you for the comments and tips too Harald. I was pretty pleased with how the floor turned out on that first one. It was a little time consuming but not all that hard.

Why so much ink? Well the black and brass building was painted metallic brass and then inked back to black in the depths. I wanted a shadow type blacker than black, and have used this technique in miniatures to good effect. I underestimated just how many coats of ink (not the new washes), even with their super strong pigment it was going to take to cover the metallic base coat.

And the white/bone and brass building was just sheer size. The washes worked beautifully, but while the 12ml bottles may be enough to wash 50 miniatures, they are only enough for 1/2 a building this size. :P It was pretty obvious when I thought about it afterward.

Harald wrote:
and of course, use the biggest brush u can find. this will make inking buildings much faster.
Oh yes, I figured that one out. I tend to use a size 10 for buildings. Wedge shaped brushes for paint (especially drybrushing) and round for inks and washes.

Harald wrote:
one thing that could be improved are the connection between walls and base. it looks like the walls are just sat upon the floors, i miss some dirt, rubble and stuff that is built up on the lowest past of the walls.
nothing really big, but it will add to the whole look of it.
Of course, that is a great idea!
I guess I never thought about it before. Miniatures are by and large standing on the ground so that disconnected look isn't a bad thing. But buildings are different. I might try a few additions to buildings 1 and 3 to achieve that, and will definitely incorporate it into my forthcoming ruins. Thanks mate! :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:55 am 
Broodling

I love the buildings! After playing on some boards with actual scenery the other day (rather than a collection of mugs and bowls) I have a new appreciation for how much a good building adds to the game.

I also like your gant... I feel like he's giving us a tour!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:13 am 

Rubble at the base of the walls was something I noticed missing on my own buildings the other day too. But I'm afraid to put too much there for fear of removing area to place your models, and to mess up everything I worked on till then... I'll show it sometime when I make pics of my own buildings...

Hive Fleet Charybdis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:47 am 
Tyranid Squig!

I'd expect much of the rubble to be collected into makeshift barricades and berms outside the footprint of the building. Although, having mounds of stuff to block doors and windows from the inside for defensive purposes would certainly make sense too.

What I find lacking in most 40K urban scenics, is furniture! Where did all the desks, chairs, tables, file cabinets, sofas, and beds go? I know that much of the dark future is supposed to be rather austere, but some work is simply better done when sitting. There should be realistic rubbish piles inside and outside the buildings that show people lived and worked there, before the fighting started. Some of Hydra's bases hint at what i'm talking about, but I've never seen a table that has these details.

Now that I think about it, I think I should make a water cooler to scale for one of my buildings.
[Open in new window]

See my Gallery Here.
http://album.warpshadow.com/v/HiveFleetWormwood/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:33 am 
Great Devourer

wormwood wrote:
I'd expect much of the rubble to be collected into makeshift barricades and berms outside the footprint of the building. Although, having mounds of stuff to block doors and windows from the inside for defensive purposes would certainly make sense too.
I was thinking along those line too mate. Mainly for the big white building's ground floor. I was worried there isn't enough LOS blocking terrain in the set.

wormwood wrote:
What I find lacking in most 40K urban scenics, is furniture! Where did all the desks, chairs, tables, file cabinets, sofas, and beds go? I know that much of the dark future is supposed to be rather austere, but some work is simply better done when sitting. There should be realistic rubbish piles inside and outside the buildings that show people lived and worked there, before the fighting started. Some of Hydra's bases hint at what i'm talking about, but I've never seen a table that has these details.
I completely agree Wormie! :D I've been looking for a good source for bits. I have found a miniature company that does modern office furniture in 28mm scale, but the era is wrong. I thought the Victorian era dollhouse furniture would be perfect, and 1/24 (or 'half scale') seems close. But the prices are eye opening. :shock: If I ever feel that our hobby is expensive, I just need to look at dollhouse supplies to feel better about it. :P

wormwood wrote:
Now that I think about it, I think I should make a water cooler to scale for one of my buildings.
I'd love to see that mate. You certainly have the skill to pull it off. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:25 pm 

The problem with lots of rubble and broken furniture is that you get less and less space to place your minis in. It's awesome for looks, but less interesting terrain to interact with as it gets increasingly difficult to place your miniatures. Or at least, that's my perspective.

Hive Fleet Charybdis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:32 pm 
Tyranid Squig!

Given time, combatants will shove the piles of rubble into defensive mounds that take less space, but are excellent for blocking LOS.
Look at pictures of urban warfare from WW2, and you'll see what I mean.

See my Gallery Here.
http://album.warpshadow.com/v/HiveFleetWormwood/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next