Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Someone trying to hack my account?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:55 am 
Tyranid Squig!

I tried to login using the autofill feature on my browser, which has always worked in the past and got a screen that said I'd exceeded my number of login attempts. This screen also required a me to copy some characters from an image into another field before I could log in.

Is this normal now, or has someone been trying to login as me?

See my Gallery Here.
http://album.warpshadow.com/v/HiveFleetWormwood/

Post subject: Re: Someone trying to hack my account?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:32 pm 
Broodling

I have gotten it several times but usually if I log in from another location. Even when I log in at work and log out when I come home sometimes I have to fill out the characters from the box still when I log in.

My Splinter Fleet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:06 pm 
The Red Terror

I've actually been getting the same thing as well. My account is usually logged in form several computers at once, so I'm not sure if that may be the problem. I'll direct it to Yaleing, and see if he can see anything from his end, maybe unusual IP numbers trying to access the account or something.

If not we'll have to bring it up with Hybrid.

Until then I suggest anyone affected by this problem to change their passwords just in case.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:45 pm 
Great Devourer

Sounds odd Wormwood. Has it started happening recently or has it been going for a while?

Around 3 weeks ago I temporarily increased the security settings to try and slow the flood of spambots. (You guys shouldn't see them in the forums too much as the admins catch 99% of them before their accounts are activated.) I'll see if the tighter settings could have caused your log-in problems.

But it could well have been bad luck too. The 'bots are getting more sophisticated and frequently use a random combination of two dictionary words. So against the odds, one may have tried to use your username. :? I'll see if I can find the logs of when your account failed its log in attempts. Is it okay if I PM you when/if I get the logs to see if it was you or a 'bot?

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:15 am 
Tyranid Squig!

It only happened the day I posted about it, and PMs are always welcome.

See my Gallery Here.
http://album.warpshadow.com/v/HiveFleetWormwood/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:25 pm 
The Red Terror

I just wanted to let everybody know that the "exceeded number of login attempts" message we've been getting is due to a malicious party trying to gain access to members accounts by trying to brute their way into accounts.

The CAPTCHA page is there to prevent this after the password entry is wrong x amount of times, but I still strongly suggest that members update their passwords to be strong including capital letters and numbers so that we can reduce the likelyhood of any members accounts being accessed.

To change your password click the "User Control Panel" link in the top right-hand corner of your browser then on the new page click "Profile" on the left-hand taskbar. Next click "Edit account settings" and enter a new password in the appropriate space.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:59 pm 
Great Devourer

Update
After some poking around I've found there may be another cause of a user having access denied through 'too many log in attempts' can also be caused by a users firewall settings and/or disabling cookies on their browser. I tried it out by disabling cookies in both firefox and explorer - and Warpshadow stopped recognising me and required me to re-enter the letter-number string each visit.

So if you have a cookie cull and start getting a 'too many log in attempts' error with WS, that's the most likely cause. :wink:

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/