Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:46 pm 
Great Devourer

Thorn wrote:
Oh great, glad you're ok. Which oven cleaner do you use and what's your technique?

The cheapest and nastiest stuff I can find. My brand of choice is Easy Off. The trick is to go for the most caustic one available, so that often means the cheap ones. The better brands that promise 'no fumes', 'non-caustic' or 'environmentally friendly' are no good for paint stripping. (Which is why I'd rather use a safe and bio-degradable product like simple green!) As you can guess you either need a well ventilated area and/or a face mask when applying it and you will need rubber gloves all throughout.

Spray the stuff so that it foams nicely. Wait a little while and then turn the models (with gloves of course!) and reapply to make sure you get complete coverage. Wait 12 hours and when you come back the models should still be damp if you used enough oven cleaner. Wearing protective clothing simply scrub off with a stiff nylon brush.

I find it works at least as well as real paint stripper but it doesn't harm plastics and is much cheaper. ;) It works fine on Citadel paints but does have trouble with some others.

psychodelic wrote:
will simple green hurt gw bases and resian cus i need to strip my exocrine but dont wanna hurt it

HF Psychodelic - I remind you of the board rules to use correct English in the forums. That includes capitalisation, punctuation and spelling. I remember reminding you of this before too mate. Please read and comply with the FAQs.

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:41 pm 
Biomass

I have done some extensive army stripping (primarily my entire Tyranid Hive Fleet) and have to vouch for Chameleon Paint Stripper over anything else. It far exceeds the abilities of Simple Green, Easy-Off, and Brake Fluid, all of which I have experimented with. Its based in the US so you may have some trouble getting it to other countries (though I would not know as I have never had to try haha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:10 pm 
Medium One

Left a crusty old edition Rhino in Simple Green for 3 months. Kinda forgot about it. Also, I think I beat Thorn now.

Report:

Plastic is OK. No warping, no problems.
There were a few super glue bonds that were on the figure. They were completely dissolved.
90% of all paint just fell off, some scrubbing took off another 5%.
It was also quite amusing to see the different layers of paint on the thing. the top layer was black, with a layer of blue under it, then another layer of black, then a layer of brown.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:47 pm 
Big One

Sorry Red Tyrant, but I'm keeping that dubious badge of "honour": Some of those guardsmen are still soaking! That is, since late March to early december and counting. I have no idea what kind of insane paint is on those!

The models have lost no details, nor much paint. Nearly all joints are still strong too, though some do break because I have still need to scrub very hard in order to remove about 60% of the paint. Then, I usually soak the models for a few more weeks and then need to go back with a tooth pick and actually pick out every last piece of paint.

This is insane. But hey, at least the models are still fine!

Note to self: Never buy painted models off Ebay. Sometimes it comes off easily like a dress on prom night, and sometimes removing paint is more like trying to eat through reinforced concrete.

Other note to self: I still have not tried using Easy Off. Do that tonight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:07 pm 
Medium One

Damn. That badge is yours.

Also, I'm wondering if those guardsmen were painted with something other than acrylic paint. Now that I think of it, I haven't tried using Simple Green to strip enamel-based paint as of yet (nor do I have any enamel-based paints to test with. All I have is acrylic or spraypaint).

Post subject: Re: Paint stripping discussion
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:54 pm 
Biomass

I would appreciate suggestions on how to obtain Simple Green to experiment with in the state of Victoria, Australia. Previously I have only used brake fluid as a paint stripper
Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:02 am 
Little One

Simple Green is available at all major American home improvement centers (ie: Lowe's, Home Depot, Menard's), so it can be had on the web for pretty cheap. Not sure about international shipping.

Nothing will work (safely) on a model that's been varnished. Trust me. I traded for a model that I was told had "some" paint on it. It was thick, bad, and spray-varnished. 13 months and 3 different chemical options later, and it's still as bright as ever. :?

Current Projects: (January 14, 2017) Completed "Aspiring Deathbringer" and now taking commissions!

CHECK OUT THE GALLERY AND SERVICE OPTIONS!!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:53 am 
Norn Queen wut can has cookie

I had a semi-light dusting of varnish over my old models, and while it's a real pain, after several coats of oven cleaner, they actually look a bit cleaner. However, this doesn't work on plastic models, only on metal ones.

Hive Fleet Charybdis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:09 am 
Great Devourer

Verdigris wrote:
I would appreciate suggestions on how to obtain Simple Green to experiment with in the state of Victoria, Australia. Previously I have only used brake fluid as a paint stripper
Cheers
Hi Verdigis. I had real trouble finding it too. But Bunnings stock it in the home cleaning isle. (What ever you do don't buy the Simple Green spray on barbecue cleaner thinking it will do the same job as it has the same active ingredient. It doesn't. I don't know what it is like for cleaning barbecues, but it is absolute pants for stripping paint. :roll:)

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:46 pm 
Big One

Well, for anyone who might be at all worried that Simple Green might possible maybe damage your models even a little.... I have had Imperial Guardsmen soaking in Simple Green for over a year, and they are still strong and detailed. I see no change at all in their details, and they have as much strength as ever; They can still withstand a strong scrubbing or a 5 foot drop onto a solid floor.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:17 am 
Biomass

ok, I thought I'd try to throw you guys a curve here...what about fiberglass models/items? Will Simple Green damage something like that?
Aside from my obsession with Tyranids, I have been a Star Wars nut since 1977. I finally am to the point where I can afford toys like life-size Darth Vaders and Stormtroopers! Anyway, I have a set of Episode III Darth Vader shin armor that looks like it has been painted badly several times.
What do you think?

Also, has anyone tried Simple Green on the different types of resins? I know with the Games Workshop/Forgeworld/Armorcast models, they use different resin types depending on the model (e.g. grey, light tan, etc.). I know there are a lot of smaller companies that make custom bases that use the white resin too. Does anyone have any experience with removing paint off of these?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:48 pm 
Little One

Following a request from Wormwood, I'm just popping up a couple of before and after shots of my latest Tyranid salvage.

This is using Dettol to strip plastic figures. This is the standard antiseptic available, non of the fancy stuff the company makes (I am UK based in case the product make-up differs from place to place).
[Open in new window]

It's completely plastic safe though it does take a while to work (and it stinks... though it is, no doubt, better than inhaling harmful oven cleaners).
The models in these photo's were in the dip for about 2 days (48 hours). I think I may also have given them a quick second dip after I'd cleaned them up.

DO NOT rinse the model under water until you've removed every scrap of paint that you can; the Dettol turns the paint really slimey which helps it come off the model... if you get water on there it makes the paint extremely sticky and you'll never get it off without re-dipping them.
I put on a pair of disposable plastic gloves for this to stop me smelling like a hospital. I also only used a toothbrush once i'd slid off as much paint as I could using my fingers.

It sounds a bit odd, but the Dettol makes the paint rubbery - a bit like chicken skin. It also lifts it off in 'sheets' - the Warriors I stripped had the paint on their claws slide off like a glove. The shape was preserved, and you could even see the carapace plates on the back of the hands!
This is why I recommend saving the toothbrush for the final stages - if you use it too soon you'll break apart ther sheets of paint and have a harder time removing them.

Once you've got as much off as you can, rinse the models in hot soapy water. They will go a little sticky if there's any paint 'stuck' on, but it will remove any stray pieces that were loosened.
Afterwards you may want to give them a second dip.

BEFORE;
[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

AFTER;
[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

As I say; It's not quick and it is a bit faffy. On the other hand it's a very safe way to clean up your old models.
If you want any clarification or detail then just ask :).

-Fox-

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 3:23 pm 
Norn Queen wut can has cookie

Any idea if this works on metal models as well?

Hive Fleet Charybdis

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:19 am 
Little One

ive just recently had to deal with this sort of thing as well. A now ex-friend of mine had a tau army that he was horrible at painting and when he ran up $2000 on _MY_ cell phone, then couldnt pay his own rent because he lost his job, i had had enough.

i took his magic the gathering collection and his tau army as compensation.

he had a broadside that was caked with primer. i told him 'prime once, paint it three times' he heard 'prime it three times, then paint it once'

im in canada and i looked everywhere for simple green or dettol or something else, with no luck.

Finally i gave up and bought a small bottle of acetone-free nail polish remover for $2.

the metal parts i left soaking, but the plastic parts i only dipped for a minute at a time. it stripped them pretty fast too. and i ALMOST left it in too long... when i pulled one leg out, it left finger prints in one surface. was easy to clean that up though and the plastic hardened again after a few minutes.

So if your looking for a cheap alternative, look into nail polish remover, but be careful not to leave it in too long. even 5 min will turn a model to putty

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:14 am 
Tyranid Squig!

I accidentally slagged some old blue stealers with Non-acetone nail polish remover a few years ago.
For metal models it's awesome though. It'll turn superglue rubbery and plastic parts mushy, but it will cut the paint from metal models bits just fine.

See my Gallery Here.
http://album.warpshadow.com/v/HiveFleetWormwood/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next