Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:25 pm 
Little One

I have to also support the use of Simple green. I dumped a whole bunch of plastic and metal minis in a jar, filled it with Simple green, and left them for about a week. The metal minis were totally clean with just a shake and a rinse. The basecoat on the plastics was very stubborn, and took some fingernail scratching to budge (toothbrush was not enough), but the actual paint job came right off.

I will say that it DID dissolve the greenstuff on the models, which is a little annoying. The PVA-glued basing materials came off, too, but that was hardly a surprise.

Anyway, thanks very much for the tips!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:36 am 
Broodling

I had a cheap broodlord off EBay that needed stripping and looked into getting some simple green as this sounds like the best option all round.
I live in the UK and simple green does not retail here, they do however sell online so i contacted them for prices... I cant remember exactly the price they quoted for the smallest amount but it was something like 15 pounds, cheaper to buy a new broodlord!
Dishearted I had a rumage around my cupboards and found some white spirit, which I bathed him in for 24 hours then took out and at first it didn't seem to have had any affect, but by running it under a hot tap and scrubbing and scratching away for a long time all the paint came off:)

If you use this method where gloves! I didn't (as I have used this stuff many times to clean brushes when decorating without any adverse affects) and the prolonged exposure made my fingers go all tingly, red and sore for a couple of days.

From now on I am just going to avoid buying painted models!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:50 am 
Little One

Usually I stripe my models with this stuff, can't remember the English name for it. :?

but well it's made of ethanol, you use it in anti-freeze, you use it as a fuel for storm kitchens, maybe gas too. And it's a red liquid.

I hope you know what I mean. :) please tell me the name if you do.

Anyhow it works perfectly, it stripes the paint off in like 5min and is easy to remove, it doesn't dissolve greenstuff, it actually makes it loose from the model and if your unlucky it becomes a little bit like rubber.

Only negative things is that if you has it on your hands for too long you'll loose your feel in the fingers for a short time, 30min-ish.

but well you buy this stuff from stores that sells parts for motor vehicles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:20 pm 
Medium One

Just a cross-post from my Tyrant-specific topic:

I left a Hive Tyrant for 3 days in a jar full of Simple Green.

1. Paint that was used on the model was really tough, but the Simple Green took off 95% of it after a good scrubbing.

2. Superglue bonds are intact. If you want them gone, you'll need stronger stuff.

3. Green Stuff seems to have SOFTENED and can be easily picked off with a knife.

4. This probably doesn't matter much, but the shiny pewter surface was tarnished from the prolonged exposure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:46 pm 
Medium One

Another report that might interest people:

In addition to that Tyrant, I also got a set of three Warriors that had the same god-forsaken paint on them.

Day 11:

Yes, I've had them sitting in a jar of Simple Green for ELEVEN DAYS. Probably longer than anyone else has...

70% of the thick paint has been removed. From what I can tell, the previous owner used some kind of clear coat hat somehow fused with the paint it touched. Gave it a nasty gloss as well as strengthened it

When brushing a warrior today, the parts touched by the coat did not show signs of wrinkly paint and they came off in chips. The parts untouched did show signs of wrinkly paint and they brushed off easy.

From what I can tell, there has been no harm done to the plastic. It's still got its strength and he surfaces do not look degraded in any way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:32 pm 
Big One

Sorry there Red Comet Tyrant but I've had about a dozen imperial guards men sitting in Simple Green for over 25 days now, and there is no visible change in the paint. With vigourous brushing with a toothbrush I can very slowly remove a little bit of the paint (and the primer seems to come off too), but scraping at them with a toothpick or fingernail removes paint pretty easily.

The glue on the model appears intact so I suspect that Plastic Cement was used, and the plastic shows no signs of softening.

I have previously had great success removing paint (even primer!!) from about 100 plastic models using Simple Green.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:32 pm 
Medium One

From the attempt with the Tyrant as well as this attempt with the Warriors, I'm getting the impression that occasional brushing to loosen up the surface and dropping them back in seems to work best.

Hopefully more will come off these warriors in the days to come.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 6:59 am 
Great Devourer

More paint stripping debacles. :(

1. The only form of simple green I could find in the city was simple green barbecue cleaner. But this was the only simple green I've yet managed to find so I bought 2 big cans of the stuff. It is non-toxic, bio-degradable and foams up in a pleasant manner. :wink: But I don't recommend it for one simple reason - it doesn't work.
The colour ran a little but it did bugger all to the majority of the paint. :? So simple green may be an awesome paint stripper but don't try the simple green barbecue cleaner for anything other than cleaning barbecues....

2. In my exasperation I resorted to the only other stripping agent in the house - nail polish remover. But I learnt from my last experience with the stuff and my chemical burns. I wore latex gloves for the job this time. But it turns out to be a wasted effort as the 'safe' non-acetone nail polish remover ate straight through the gloves...

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:13 am 
Big One

Yaleling wrote:
But it turns out to be a wasted effort as the 'safe' non-acetone nail polish remover ate straight through the gloves...

Oh horrible! Did you burn your hands?

I've now had some Imperial Guardsmen soaking in simple green for about 2 months now.... it's basically still tooth pick work to strip the paint. This is clearly not just standard GW paint that was used, I'm starting to think it's oil based or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:20 am 
Tyranid Squig!

When I use nail polish remover, I lift the piseces out with tongs and plce them dirctly onto papre shop towels to wipe away the liquid.

See my Gallery Here.
http://album.warpshadow.com/v/HiveFleetWormwood/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:17 pm 
Great Devourer

Thorn wrote:

Thanks for asking mate, but no I got lucky. My hands felt a little wet, cold and tingly through the the gloves. So I immediately tried to take the gloves off to see what was going on. And the gloves fell apart into tiny pieces. :shock:

But given the failures I went back to my tried and tested (and cheap) paint stripper - $2 oven cleaner. :wink:

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:08 am 
Big One

Yaleling wrote:
Thorn wrote:

Thanks for asking mate, but no I got lucky. My hands felt a little wet, cold and tingly through the the gloves. So I immediately tried to take the gloves off to see what was going on. And the gloves fell apart into tiny pieces. :shock:

But given the failures I went back to my tried and tested (and cheap) paint stripper - $2 oven cleaner. :wink:

Oh great, glad you're ok. Which oven cleaner do you use and what's your technique?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:36 am 
Medium One

Something I tried out a few days ago on that cheap Hive Tyrant and Broodlord I got:

My friend found something in his garage that he had no idea he had. A small tin labeled "Airplane Coating Remover". Well, if it takes paint off an Airplane without damaging the metal surface...

It can and does OBLITERATE any trace of paint, superglue, AND green stuff on a metal figure. In 30min to an hour.

However, you have to completely rinse it with a hose when you're done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:46 am 
Little One

will simple green hurt gw bases and resian cus i need to strip my exocrine but dont wanna hurt it

"it's diet consits of fruits,plants,small woodland animals,large woodland animals,woodlands,fruit groves,fruit farmers,small cites,countries,worlds,star systems.There no satisfying that hunger of our doom."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:47 am 
Big One

hivefleet psychodelic wrote:
will simple green hurt gw bases and resian cus i need to strip my exocrine but dont wanna hurt it

I don't know about resin, but I've had a dozen plastic and metal guardsmen soaking in simple green for two months and there has been no damage done to the bases or plastic.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next