Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: How To Sculpt: A series
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 8:14 am 
Screamer Killer

Hydra wrote:
I just love these!

One thing i might have overlooked or haven't seen is the component of HEAT. For the impatient ones...

That's good news, Hydra, since a lot of what I'm trying to teach people is stuff I learned from you.

Like heat. I did, indeed, include that, and it appears in the Putty article.

Mr_Pink's Tyranid Blog For Art and Sculpting and Stuff

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:00 pm 
Hatchling

I am loving these articles. Now I am patiently waiting for the next. Keep these pumping out.

As others have mentioned - consider some video. It doesn't have to be long streams but could be a few seconds of each step strung together (amount of putty mixed, end appearance, sculpt, cure, detailing etc...) for those of us who assimilate data through observation and implementation. Still, your manner of getting the concepts across comes naturally and is easy to follow. That you write from the view of someone always learning and not from an arrogant pedestal is reassuring instead of making a daunting endeavor stressful. Keep it up.

If I many mention something you touched on - After reading several articles over the years by GW sculptors one thing was constant - not all of your "best" tools will be store bought. Many use clips from pens, toothpicks and weird parts from broken machines. They said they would see an item and it would "click" that it was what was needed for what they wanted to do. So keep your mind open (think about conversions & the odd things used) for shapes and textures which could be useful.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:02 am 
Biomass

This is incredible - I have been trying to sculpt miniatures with super sculpey for awhile now, oblivious to other mediums.

Mr_Pink and Hydra: Where can I find your conversations about sculpting on this forum? I've been searching - but you guys have thousands of posts!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:54 pm 
Great Devourer

I've finally gotten to try out both apoxie sculpt and the apoxie-green mixture. And I'm just delighted with both. :D

I think it will take me a little while (so several months in Yale time) to learn which to use when. But just 12 hours after mixing up some apoxie-green I've done more putty work than I have in the last 12 months. The ability to mix up a batch and use Hydra's tip of keeping in the freezer makes it so much easier to do a little bit of work as time permits without having to stuff around having to lose time to kneeding.

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/