Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How To Sculpt: A series
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:35 am 
Screamer Killer

Howdy Brood Brothers!

Well, Hydra has done a lot of work to populate this forum with tutorials on sculpting, so I figured it was probably time I pulled my own weight and posted some tutorials of my own. I've started a series of articles on my hobbyblog, and in these articles I try to move through various sculpting topics in a comprehensive and somewhat logical way, from tools, to putties, to strategies, etc. Eventually, I'm hoping to have a full article on sculpting Tyranids that deals with the unique structures that we find on our nids, but for now I'm dealing in general practices/strategies that could apply to any army.

First up, I have an article on how to flesh out your sculpting tool box, highlighting the tools that I use:
TOOLS LINK
[Open in new window]

Next, a rundown of the different putties I use with a few secret tips about how to make them go further. This article is kind of like a Part A that is waiting for its Part B (how fitting is that) later this week. I stated writing it, and I pulled a George RR Martin: I realized it was too long for one article, so I split it arbitrarily in half. Still, there is some good stuff in there that you might find useful, and I'll be sure to update this thread with the continuation of the series as soon as it's up.
PUTTY LINK
[Open in new window]

I hope you find them useful!

Mr_Pink's Tyranid Blog For Art and Sculpting and Stuff

Post subject: Re: How To Sculpt: A series
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:00 pm 
Little One

Thanks for taking the time on this; I've already read 'em both and eagerly await the next installment. Nicely put together, Mr. Pink.

"The Call of Cthulhu" (Lovecraft, 1928)

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:41 pm 
Biotitan

Defiantly looking forward to a sculpting "lube" segment.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:19 pm 
Hormagaunt

Do we have to wrap one part of the putty around the other like in the pictures, or did you do that just to show us to mix them together?

Definition:
Hormagaunt-(hör-mā-gaw-nt) see Awesom-sauce

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:57 pm 
The Red Terror

It's just to show to mix together, the main key point is that you have a consistent, homogenous mixture when you're done kneading.

Which brings me to my next point: Pinky maybe you should add a picture showing what greenstuff looks like when properly mixed. Too many times have I seen conversions where people have just started using greenstuff and they're are horrible splotches of yellow and blue still visible.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 3:44 pm 
Great Devourer

Great articles Monsieur Pink.
I know 90% of them repeat what you and Hydra has posted on the site before, but the extra 10% is excellent information that was hard won through experience, and it is a a great resource to have everything so neatly written up in one place. Well done mate. (b~_^)b

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:04 pm 
Little One

... Holy crap, dude. Just read Part 3 and you just laid bare all your secrets.

THANK YOU!

I mean it; awesome job with the narrative. You're writing style is eloquent, without using silly-too-big-words ... like "eloquent" :)

Concise and easy to follow - Awesomesauce, Mr. Pink. Pure Awesomesauce.

Very well done, dude!

"The Call of Cthulhu" (Lovecraft, 1928)

Last edited by Cfoolhu on Mon May 07, 2012 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:26 pm 
Screamer Killer

As Cfoolhu noted, Part 3 is now online:

LINK
[Open in new window]

I'm glad to hear such a positive response from all you lovely folks. I'd like to go into more detail, but I feel like I've got a ripper trying to bust through my skull right now, so I'll have to come back later :P

EDIT: I think I've corrected the weirdo image problems. Sorry about that :/

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:27 pm 
Hormagaunt

Awesome-tacular! I might actually be able to make a shrike like I always wanted (gotta start with the baby steps).

Question: in the picture of your tools, I don't believe you talked about the one on top. The metal one with the flat ends. What is that one for (just an in general answer will suffice)?

Definition:

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 1:51 pm 
Screamer Killer

Ladies and Gents, I've just realized that I left out a very important caveat, which I have now updated in the original How To Sculp 3 article. It's all about the importance of practice, and if you think that's not important, then you should definitely go a read what I've added ;)

Torrisbullba, as Hive Node already said, it doesn't matter how you mix the putties as long as you make sure they are of a more-or-less uniform colour before you start working with them. If they are at all marbled looking, they, likely, won't set right. Also, I failed to mention the flat too (well caught) because I only really use it to scoop Apoxie Sculpt out of the pots.

Hive Node, that's a good point I didn't think about, re:the proper mixing of putties. I think I have a photo in the tutorial of properly mixed Greenstuff, but I don't focus/draw attention to it, so maybe I should write a little bit about marbling. I've never actually seen someone try to sculpt with marbled greenstuff before.

Yale, I'm glad there was still stuff in there for folks who had already have done research into sculpting. I hope you can learn a little more that we haven't mentioned before from the third article.

Cfoolhu, I'm touched--particularly the bit about the writing style. When I'm not trying to build monsters, I'm trying to be a writer, so I'm glad to hear that my style is readable :D

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:24 pm 
Great Devourer

Mr_Pink wrote:
Yale, I'm glad there was still stuff in there for folks who had already have done research into sculpting. I hope you can learn a little more that we haven't mentioned before from the third article.
I did! It was great. Especially the details you gave about which tools you use to get different effects. I've stickyed this thread as it was way too good to lose.

I've been trying to get some paint shapers for the last few years. (For some reason they are called colour shapers in Australia and are crazy expensive.) In the mean time I've been using some synthetic pencil erasers I cut into the shapes I needed. They have the same flexibility but are harder to hold. :wink:

Quote:
Hive Node, that's a good point I didn't think about, re:the proper mixing of putties. I think I have a photo in the tutorial of properly mixed Greenstuff, but I don't focus/draw attention to it, so maybe I should write a little bit about marbling. I've never actually seen someone try to sculpt with marbled greenstuff before.
I've done it accidentally when I did some recent low end casting with blu-stuff moulds. I didn't mix it all the way through (it just looked green on the outside) and the cast would have failed pretty badly.

Mr_Pink wrote:
Cfoolhu, I'm touched--particularly the bit about the writing style. When I'm not trying to build monsters, I'm trying to be a writer, so I'm glad to hear that my style is readable :D
It was polished enough that reading it felt entirely natural. Like hearing a conversation or reading a piece by a (good) popular fiction writer. (b~_^)b

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:28 am 
Little One

Really great series Mr.Pink and I really like your writing style. It is very pleasant to read.

One thing about the colour shapers that wasn't mentioned in any of the articles is the firmness of them. The reason I reacted to it was that I bought a couple a few years back. Not knowing exactly what I was after I bought the softest ones(The store I purchased them in didn't have them in stock and had to order them.) and at least for me they are a bit to soft for my liking. Very good at smoothing out surfaces but not really stiff enough to do any effective sculpting with. At least not with a great deal of accuracy.
From the look of your pictures it looks like you are using the medium stiffness one.

Obvious personal preference but I just thought I'd throw it out there in case people was thinking of getting some.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:42 am 
Screamer Killer

Gribbly Kids!

I've written a fourth installment for the series, and if you look closely, Sick, you'll see that I incorporated your suggestion :D

LINK
[Open in new window]

It probably won't be as helpful to some who already have all of their putty and tools sorted, but I wanted to be as complete as I could in the series so that someone could go from zero to fully equipped uber artist using solely these articles as their guide. I hope some people still find this article useful, and if you do wind up contacting Aves or Sculpture Supply Canada to procure some Apoxie Sculpt, please let them know that Mr_Pink at http://modernsynthesist.blogspot.ca/ sent you along :)

It may take me a little longer to get the next article out, but I fully intend for it to be a tutorial on making various nid parts. I'm also looking to try out videos, but that's tough, so we'll see.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:25 am 
Hormagaunt

*claps excitedly* OH YAY! The next installment is here. :o

Definition:

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 3:50 am 
Hydraphant

I just love these!

One thing i might have overlooked or haven't seen is the component of HEAT. For the impatient ones...

"I'm gona sing the DOOM-song now: DOOm, DOOOMDOOOOOM,DOM, DOOOOOHM,DOOM...."