Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Magnetising a Tyranofex
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:09 pm 
Little One

Seeing as I've never used either a Tyranofex or a Tervigon, I wanted to be able to use my first kit as either. The first stage of this was to make the head and front set of arms interchangeable. As I don't have many gaunts, the Tyranofex was the obvious choice.

Materials

6x2mm disc magnets
3x2mm disc magnets
3mm drill bit
6mm drill bit or dremmel

First, assemble the main body up to this stage. Note that I've left off any of the side spikes on the torso. If you only want a Tyranofex, feel free to attach these now. If you want both, leave them off, as they will obstruct the egg sac.

[Open in new window]

Next, drill out the arm sockets, neck socket, neck, and shoulder pieces to hold 6mm magnets. This goes much more smoothly if you make a decent pilot hole with the 3mm drill bit first. Also drill out the two pits on the rupture cannon which accept the feeder arm, again for 6mm magnets. For the feeder arm tentacles, we use 3mm magnets, as the ends are far too small for 6mm magnets.

Making sure you get the polarities right, superglue the magnets in to the appropriate prepared holes, and wait at least 15 minutes after the last one goes in to make sure it's all set.

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

Voila, one magnetised Tyranofex. Next up, I'll be figuring out how attach the Tervigon's egg sac. Magnets again, of course!

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]