Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:21 pm 
The Red Terror

Hey all,

Just curious if anyone picked up Space Marine yet. It's a prett good game, and is challenging as well, so I'm enjoying it.

I keep seeing all these new Ork things and expect them to be made as models... maybe Forge World will do it...

Post subject: Re: Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:05 am 
Monstrosity

I haven't played it yet, but it definitely looks interesting. As for the FW doing ork things, I could see it happening: it's how the Orca got made, after all.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:37 am 
Norn Queen wut can has cookie

It's aweeesoooommeeee!

Hive Fleet Charybdis

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:07 am 
Medium One

Ugh... I'm not so sure about it. I'm not saying it's a bad game; I haven't played it and it looks good, but I'm just fed up of GW shoving SM down everyone's throats.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:32 pm 
The Red Terror

Space Marines are awesome though when you really get down to it. Why do you think every single person basically owns a SM army at one moment in time or another.

I just finished the game yesterday and it left me craving more. Now I just have to buy a new Live card so I can play online.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:18 am 
Medium One

Well, I never had a SM army, and I don't think they're cool, it feels like such a 2 dimensional army! 'The saviours of humanity' might as well call them the good guys. And one of the many things I like about 40k is that every single faction is in the end ultimately evil (but not space marines, of course).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:03 am 
Big One

I tried the demo several times and I am less than enthousiastic about the game. The game play feels no different than an old button-masher Gauntlet style game, where all you do is point your character somewhere and keep mashing the melee button. And, just like Gauntlet, you occasionally have to use your special ability (to heal up). There's basically nothing else to it (and yes, I do include jump packs in "nothing" since they're slow as heck to use) and are only as valuable as a high jump.

One thing that really bothers me is this: They used the same base engine as Gears Of War (which has a phenomenal set of cover mechanics) but this was removed from Space Marine because they felt that no space marine would ever use cover, they would just run through gunfire to lay waste to their foes (or some other squat like that).... But I guess that they have never played the Dawn of War series where marines use cover very extensively, nor read any of the novels because marines very frequently use cover in the novels!

Anyway, my summary is that the game has beautiful backgrounds but the gameplay is lacking.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:17 pm 
Not Loukang

I finished the game in the hardest difficulty level, and even if quite enjoyable, it was boring as soon as you understand the (poor) game mechanic. Don't get me wrong I did enjoy killing bucketload of orks, but the linear and repetitive chokepoints, the lack of variety in the surroundings and enemies, the long boring walking interscenes and pacebreaking all made me sad.

In the other hand the multiplayer is a blast, fast and furious (quite) balanced action. the only complaint may be that there is no dedicated server. I guess they rushed the game in order not to be killed by the release of Modern Warfare 3. Let s hope that (free) DLC will iincrease the game life length.

Cheers,

Lak

@Thorn : Supersoldiers do not hide, they follow the Codex Astartes and kill stuff :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:52 pm 
Big One

If they were going to go the route where Space Marines are so great that they don't even need to care about the battlefield or terrain, then they should have just made it like Dynasty Warriors 3, where you plow through hundreds of little guys, often barely noticing them, only so you can beat the face of some named officer.

I haven't played the game myself, but I've watched some Let's Plays of it, and it does look kind of boring. Like, I'd play it for a while, but probably not twice through just because I'd have enough of the game by that first go.

Still, the mechanic of allowing Space Marines to just run through walls and kill Orkz with sheer body weight is probably not that far fetched. Don't Space Marines weigh somewhere near one thousand pounds in all their armor and everything? I don't understand why they would ever strive for any sense of realism.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:57 pm 
Monstrosity

lakouang wrote:
I finished the game in the hardest difficulty level, and even if quite enjoyable, it was boring as soon as you understand the (poor) game mechanic. Don't get me wrong I did enjoy killing bucketload of orks, but the linear and repetitive chokepoints, the lack of variety in the surroundings and enemies, the long boring walking interscenes and pacebreaking all made me sad.

In the other hand the multiplayer is a blast, fast and furious (quite) balanced action. the only complaint may be that there is no dedicated server. I guess they rushed the game in order not to be killed by the release of Modern Warfare 3. Let s hope that (free) DLC will iincrease the game life length.

Cheers,

Lak

@Thorn : Supersoldiers do not hide, they follow the Codex Astartes and kill stuff :)

With you on this. Was pretty to look at, but after a bit, I just put it aside and started playing Deus Ex. Now THERE'S a good game!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:11 am 
Medium One

Well, it sounds like the game was mainly about CC, and if it is so, then I are very disappoint because 40k is vastly about shooting; FB is more about assault. It sound like the game is about rampaging madly and unstopably, which is not my cup of tea.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:35 am 
Not Loukang

@Snapdragon, I am an hardcore gamer, so I have been disappointed, wait and buy the game for a fistfull of <insert your local currency here>.

@ianuchu, well hidng behind a crate is not really heroic :) Try to imagine that you are a (hungry) Tyranid Prime instead of a Space Marine :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:54 am 
Medium One

Now theres something I can get into. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:51 am 
Norn Queen wut can has cookie

I liked it because of the 'feel' of the game. You really do feel like a super-heavy space marine breaking bones of orks, and your bolts really do feel like mass-reactive exploding min-rockets when you fire your gun. The looks, sound and feel of the game are excellent, I think.

It's all a really enjoyable cinematic ride.

(also, I'd like to disagree with space marines being good guys. They are pretty nasty in the current setting, and far from actual good guys)

Hive Fleet Charybdis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:05 pm 
Medium One

Well it sounds like the game is not so much a ´good´ game, as an ´enjoyable´ game. I´ll have to give it a try.