Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bughunt! a Tyranid roguelike: Now supports leaving the map!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:55 pm 
Big One

Hey, Bughunters!

Not a peep from me here in two weeks again-- don't worry, I'm still working on 'hunt. Version O.I.IX.II just got finished, and is perfectly fine to release... except I'm holding out on it for a bit.
I've added, since last time, the option to play non-Sarid characters! The only current options are four different Space Marines ("Space Marines? Seriously? You suck, sofa!") - I do, yep, and the reason I've not released yet is I want more options than just a bunch of Astartes.

Adding a Sister of Battle choice or two is an easy step forward, as is a non-immortal guardsman (sorry, Sarid, you are a little hardcore), or Chaos marines or such-- but adding xenos is a little more tricky, and a priority.

Sure, it's easy to just add an Eldar option and give him weapons-- but does it make sense for that Fire Dragon to toss aside the meltagun he expected to use for the rest of his life, to pick up a heavy bolter he's never even seen before, strap it to his light Eldar frame, and walk around machine-gunning things with perfect accuracy?

So, while I DO have a version ready- with some fun fixes: the game now has open and closable doors, a mildly different map layout (adding specific room types is an upcoming fun thing!), and keeps a track of all enemies on a given map-screen instead of just making a new bunch when the player wanders in- I don't actually WANT to release it until I've gotten some non-Astartes, non-Sarid options. It feels just too, well, GW to start dropping marines in everywhere before anyone else has even got a look-in.

I'm intending to have a lot of Imperial choices, chaos choices, at least one genestealer-cultist choice (Yes! The skymother is here! Better go now...), and xenos: either Eldar, Dark Eldar, or both are the most planned. Tau, Orks and Necrons are the least likely to make it in unless I can think up a good reason they're alone in an Imperial city, and a renegade Tyranid is an odd, but distinctly possible- if implausible!- choice.

If I can get at least four more choices in-- two, at least, being xeno or chaos- then I'll release. Otherwise, I'll keep tinkering with mechanics until I come up with a big change ("You added a way to go up and down levels, sofa?"), then release.

Anyway, lots of words there. I'll come type some more in a couple of weeks, if I don't release before then-- and I probably will. Yes, very likely!

Any help, comments, suggestions or questions appreciated!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:47 am 
Big One

A quick update for the curious!

Bullet points for people who don't want to read several paragraphs:
- Bugs (and other such things) on a map now saved WITH the map, rather than replaced on reload!
- Stairs and Z-levels!
-- Z+1 level (upstairs) features 'drop' tiles.
-- Z-1 level (downstairs) is mostly smashable, smashable walls.
- Protogaunts and Biovores added!
-- Hormagaunts, for some reason, didn't have two attacks before. They do now.
- Doors added! Open or close using 'o', or smash down!
-- Bugs will smash down doors to get to you!
- Big creatures like Trygons, Shovel-Tuskers and doors block LoS!
- Toggle between light and dark colors!

Protogaunts are inspired by these guys:
[Open in new window]

In Bughunt!, they're basically hormagaunts, but they only move one square a turn; they're armed with rending claws and crushing claws (representing those heavy talons in the picture, that look like they're adapted for digging- like mattocks) rather than scything talons; they don't get any attacks save those granted by the crushing claws, though.
They're only found underground.

Biovores fire spore-mines at Sarid (or whoever you're playing), and will do so if Sarid is less than 24 squares away. They're not able to hit Sarid when they're hidden in a building which has a roof above it, though.
Pyrovores are now the only codex-legal non-special character unit not to be included.

The stairs take one up to the rooves of buildings, with black 'drop' tiles that'll bring you back down to Z-level zero (ie. street level), and underground is mostly breakable, breakable walls through which to dig.
Both areas start empty, but encounters are more common, and from a very narrow list: only genestealers, shrikes, gargoyles, nightgaunts, and harpies will appear on rooftops, and only raveners, protogaunts, trygons, mawlocs, and shovel-tusker carnifexes will appear underground. This makes both areas quite dangerous!

Doors can be opened and shut as a 'free action' using the o key (currently, Sarid will open every door they stand next to- I'll see what I can do about making it so they only open one!). They block LoS and movement while closed, but not while opened; mastering use of these will make survival a bit easier against anything that doesn't seek. ALL bugs will try to smash a door if they're close to one.

Shovel Tuskers, Trygons, Mawlocs, Tyrants, Tyrannofexes, Mycetic Spores and Venomthropes all block sight through their tiles.

One tasty, if minor, new function is the '/' key switches between your character's normal colour and White, for ease of visibility. Not incredibly powerful, but certainly useful.

I still need to add more characters so I can release a proper version of the game.

Current playable character list:
Sarid Gehenophore, living-saint and Imperial Guardsman;
Black Tusks Devastator Tigris- starts with a special heavy bolter;
Black Tusks Vanguard Barzel Vash- starts with a jump pack;
Black Tusks Apothecary Ahaseurus- starts with a nartheceum;
Black Tusks Sternguard Lurfgow- starts with all four types of special ammo.

So! I ask again-- what do people prefer from the following list; what should I prioritize and make first?
Add some Twisted Helix Chaos Marines or Coven of the Life Unlived chaos cultists? Perhaps a genestealer hybrid turned rogue after realizing oshitimmaDIE? What xenos races are a priority?
It'd be nice featuring one of every xeno, but how to explain their presence? Eldar's an easy one-- 'farseer said come here and get my fool-ass killed/save the planet', but every other xeno needs a bit more of an explanation.

I've solved the 'competency with foreign weapons' problem, though- once the 'affiliation' tag is added (for purposes of AI targeting), I'll make it so weapons have an affiliation, too. If a weapon's affiliation doesn't match with the player's, it's very likely less effective-- a lasgun might be usable to an Eldar with no penalty, but a heavy bolter might smack their BS down to 2 while equipped.

Anyway-- as soon as I've got a few more guys in the roster, I'll release a new version.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:06 pm 
Big One

Good news, everyone!
I've added more to Bughunt! -- and come out with a new version!
What've I added since last time?
-'Overwatch': Hit '=' when you wanna do a lot of shooting- your gun will stay raised until you right-click to lower it, so you can just left-click enemies to shoot them!
- Bigger gaunt broods!
- THREE Eldar characters: A Pathfinder, a Warlock, and a Striking Scorpion!
- Eldar have difficulty using some Imperial weapons (and the Imperials will have difficulty with Eldar weapons, too)
- Combat tactics on '#' press!
- WARNING message- that can be disabled!- when a bug spawns real close to you!

So what're you waiting for? Screenshots?
Well, alright- just one, 'cause they seem to have been auto-resized in upload. BAH!
[Open in new window]

Bughunt, version O.I.IX.V:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=P4V392NN
http://www.mediafire.com/?r6fdcwo3m9e1mny

Post subject: Re: Bughunt! a Tyranid roguelike: 26/10: O.I.IX.V! SO MUCH NEW!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:30 pm 
Big One

Holy cow sofacoin, this is incredible! That's a lot of work and a crazy cool game!

For the next version, if you're still looking to add more xenos, an Ork Boy/Nob would work perfectly well, as why wouldn't an Ork be standing around such a big brawl waiting to happen? Orks love a good fight.

"So Mr. Shoggoth, what's the reason for this loan?"
"To maximize variations capability of the alien invasion of Terra"
"Come again?"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:10 pm 
Big One

@Notanoob: Thanks so much! It's a labour of love, I tells ya. I really enjoy Bughunt, even if I tend to only play it to debug...

Just a little update for all y'all: I've not been a-codin' for a few days due to sick. However, a new version will be out soon! There's a few tweaks and additions, including- yes- playable Orks!
Other inclusions are windows (work just like doors!), a change in the location of where bugs start, and different types of playable map.

See y'all soon!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:16 pm 
Big One

Sounds great, can't wait to play!

"Come again?"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:37 am 
Big One

It's been one month since I last updated here. Poop! I can't believe I've taken so long!

Well, this is the calender day I marked one month ago when I absolutely, positively have to get version O.I.IX.VI or later out. And I'm going to-- I have 17 hours to do it in, so watch this space!

Currently, I've added a couple of ork characters, and I'm working on a third to add. I've added windows to the upstairs levels (should probably add them to the downstairs levels too, actually), added a buff for killing enemies, added the Malanthrope and Stone-Crusher (thankyou, IA:A2nd!) as an enemy, different sector encounter types, decentralised the starting locations of bugs- they no longer ALWAYS and ONLY start in rooms, and utterly rewritten the way medikits work: medikits now are either used from the inventory, where they heal a few hitpoints and aren't used up but take a turn. They are automatically used up when the character hits 0 hp, and instantly heal them back to full hit-points: consider them 'extra lives'. They're now even more common, and not at the expense at all those other guns!
I've also buffed Meggothir's Recorporate somewhat, making it more useful to actually use, and making it work differently on a Perils. Another buff is on Tigris' Heavy Bolter: each hit now has a random AP between 1 and 4.

Last, I've buffed the AI with a little script which tells them 'if you can't smash a wall, walk around it' (zomg) and modified the 'CC aggression' command: now, setting it to 'aggressive' (in which mode all Orks start!) will allow the character- if using a jump-pack- to use it in buildings, at a significant risk to the character's health.

Very close to version O.IX.VI.O- 16 hours and 30 minutes maximum!- and I guarantee version O.II.O.O will be out before the year is through.

See ya soon, Bughunters!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:49 pm 
Big One

Another little update. I swear I'll upload a new version soon!

Anyway, I've finally added a third ork-- along with, for the very first time, bikes. They change the way movement works, with momentum factoring in a lot more, can turbo-boost, and a toughness boost.
There's incredible new technology added, AKA 'circular buildings', and more variety in map shapes; I'm adding more bikes and looking into adding more items- as soon as I can work out what'd compliment the game. Who wants to find a lasgun? The Hotshot's already heavily underused!- and thinking about cleaning up the roads.
Next, I've reworked the file-names of the saves- they're no longer 'Sector 33' or whatever. Rather, they're all listed in terms of their position relative to the starting city sector- "1 sector north and 2 sectors east of starting city sector" et al. A bit ugly (especially compared to 'sector 33x22' or whatever), still, but it's important for future plans (ie. having the city be finite in size) not to have the player know their exact position in the city without finding the information in-game...
Last but not least, there's an added current 'dig' function, allowing one to make stairwells or holes up and down. It's not going to stay in: I keep running into the same problem when I have monsters follow the player up or down levels (some just... disappear when one does it, apparently overwritten or not being placed or something...). Once I get that sorted, I'll fix 'dig' so it's balanced, add AI handling for holes, and you'll be able to enjoy using a meltagun to go to the underground.
That's all for now!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:27 pm 
Big One

Another wee update...

The next time I update will be between Christmas and New Year's, depending on how things go. It'll finally be version II.O.O.O, and will feature the new Chaos faction (a Berserker and a Plaguemarine Terminator currently added; yes, there'll be Tzeentch and Slaaneshi choices- and I'm trying hard not to add a Doomrider clone...), and vehicles, who're being coded as we speak. They're about as tricky as I'd expected, though I'm doing them in a different way to how I'd first imagined (Bughunt!'s items set the user's stats rather than having their own stats referenced; instead of looking at a Sarid's Lascannon and seeing S9, it looks at Sarid, who's ranged-weapon strength became 9 when they equipped it. Vehicles don't work this way-- they work the more obvious 'stats to reference' way.)

Version II.O.O.O will also see a push towards spreading the game. I'll be posting it on other sites to start gaining more attention, seeing what bugs are found and opinions, and advice on how people want the game changed; obvious choices are 4chan's /tg/, where I predict it'll see no replies, and Bolter and Chainsword, where all five replies will bitch about the difficulty (good).

Watch this space, Bughunters, because sofa's typing you a Christmas present!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:45 pm 
Big One

Okay, I know I shouldn't be throwing up another little post so soon after the last, but I'm excited.

Despaghettification has taken out over 750 lines of code and collated much of the combat rules together. This is vital, as it allows me to add in...

Vehicles.

One of the three Chaos Space Marines added so far? A Tzeentchite dreadnought He's incredibly durable and deadly, but cannot currently heal.

We're on version O.I.IX.VII as of this update. Finishing off the Chaos with a Slaaneshi/switching the Dreadnought to Slaaneshi and adding a Tzeentchite will take us to O.I.IX.VIII. Dark Eldar are likely to be in version O.I.IX.IX, but not guaranteed.
As soon as I hit version O.II.O.O and upload it, I'll be taking a short break from coding-- so I can rewrite the readme. If things go to plan, O.II.O.O will have a Christmas day release, and O.II.O.X - the same release, but with any newly-found bugs fixed and an updated readme- will be released on New Year's day.

Four days for O.O.O.II versions? Oh, I can so do this. Happy hannukah, ladies and lads.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:28 am 
Big One

All I can say is wow. Good luck with all of this, hope you enjoy it. Have you considered advertising this on other forums or message boards? I haven't noticed it mentioned on Whineseer, The Tryanid Hive, Second Sphere, or any other 40K site. It might get you some more well deserved recognition for making such a nice game.

"Come again?"

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:49 pm 
Big One

Notanoob wrote:
All I can say is wow. Good luck with all of this, hope you enjoy it. Have you considered advertising this on other forums or message boards? I haven't noticed it mentioned on Whineseer, The Tryanid Hive, Second Sphere, or any other 40K site. It might get you some more well deserved recognition for making such a nice game.

I certainly have! Soon after version O.II.O.Ox is out, I'm gonna post on B&CS.

Which, by the by, is almost certain to get a 31st/1st Jan release. I'm on O.I.IX.VIII, and I've fully added in Vehicles- if only Chimerae and the one Dreadnought character at the moment, which are fully destructable and may be mounted and dismounted with the 'm' key.
I've also been adding even more enemies- now gaunts and hormagaunts will bear the odd mutant. Currently, mutants are of a fixed list, but I intend to have them apply a number of randomly chosen buffs.
I've also uncovered a rather strange bug: when in shooting mode while using a flamer/other teardrop-template weapon, if one clicks on a square, it'll shoot as normal-giving the enemies their turn- then immediately shoot again, giving the enemies a turn, with only a very brief pause to move the mouse to a square you'd rather it target/hidden or out of range to stop it shooting and without giving the opportunity to rightclick to cancel. It's not a major problem (you're in shooting mode for a reason, after all), but it's a little awkward to scorch your way through gaunts only to realize there was a single broodlord amidst them and you'd really like to switch to hitting him with your power sword before he eats you up.
It always happens precisely twice-- not sometimes once or thrice, but twice. I don't know what's causing it and it's not a gamebreaker (at all!), but it is a tad annoying.

Post subject: Re: Bughunt! 01/01/12: O.II.O.O AT LAST!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:30 pm 
Big One

It's here!
BUGHUNT O.II.O.O

So many new things!!

- Circular buildings!
- Three Playable Orks added!- Butchanob Gushranka, Stormnob Boskog, and Speed Freek Stigrot on his little scooter, the Speedmasta Ninefousand!
- Four Chaos Space Marines added!- Plague Marine Terminator Gargolion, Berserker Fsestine, Slaaneshi Chosen Raptor Drolgnaw- and the terrifying Thousand Sons Dreadnought, Garven!

- Medikits auto-use to save life! When used from inventory, aren't used up, but only heal 1d3.
- Multiple map types, from Genestealer Swarm to Rippers, Rippers everywhere!
- Mutant bugs! More bugs!
- Vehicles!!
- Rapid fire now works! Pistols are shot against melee targets!
- Excess attacks in CC will target other enemies in the same square! Also: WS increases with time!
- Massive reworking of the combat and targeting that makes it easier! No more double-clicks to shoot!
- Even less buggy! Improved AI!

What're you waiting for? Bughunt! is better than ever. Download it, download any Python version you need to, run and enjoy the world's number one* Tyranid-centric Python-based Roguelike!

*Out of a representatve sample of one.

Last edited by sofacoin on Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:01 pm 
Broodling

what kind of game is it? it sounds very interesting and good. what format is it in?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:08 pm 
Big One

Lolzbug1 wrote:
what kind of game is it? it sounds very interesting and good. what format is it in?

Bughunt's a roguelike- an RPG, heavy on combat and action, with procedurally generated maps, a high difficulty (especially here...), permanent death (the game saves when you die!), and often (and forthcoming in Bughunt!) intricate mechanical interactions. For instance, in the game Nethack, you can polymorph boulders into giant meatballs and eat them; in ADOM, you can wear thick gauntlets to stop a curse that makes your hands drip poison from tainting the food you eat.

Bughunt's main features over other Roguelike games are that its ruleset borrows massively from Warhammer 40,000, and the enemies are universally/currently Tyranids. It's a more coffee-break game than other Roguelikes, with no current long-term goals bar 'accrue points', a very open and explorable (but dangerous!) city as its world and no current NPC interactions. It also boasts deliberate lack of balance, a very high difficulty: the game will kill you often, and sometimes unfairly-- which gives a permanent atmosphere of dread... but the enemies are as vulnerable as you, and there's such a RUSH to just managing to rip a Hive Tyrant apart in one lucky combat round.

It's a Python game, and thus needs you to install the Python programming language- this is explained on the first post of this thread. It'll be available as an .exe eventually, but not just yet; that's more a long-term goal.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next