Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: sofacoin presents: Bughunt! - a Tyranid roguelike
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:05 pm 
Medium One

Acrually, I heard from a friend of mine (who's a total pro at Halo) that he played a game that had one of the creators in it, and apparently he sucked. :shock:

I guess in the end it's all about practice.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:24 pm 
Big One

Hey, guys!
Haven't finished enough for a new upload yet-- I want Sarid to actually have a usable psychic power.

In the next edition, look forward to one-per-map HQs- a regenerating Tervigon, a Tyranid Prime with three to nine bonesword and deathspitter buddies, or even a Hive Tyrant with up to three guard.

So, I'm looking for advice: what psychic powers might suit a Living Saint like Sarid? I'd rather keep away from a power that moves Sarid or acts as a simple shooting weapon, but they're not entirely ruled out so long as they don't obviate normal running or shooting.
Any advice would be deeeeply appreciated!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:55 pm 
Harpy

Would love to have a "Miraculous Recovery" power that (unpredictably) would, upon Sarid's untimely death, transport him to a random place on the map and restore him to full health...but perhaps with some cost, like reducing one of his stats by one point.

Alternately, some sort of "Fear of Darkness" or "Sanctuary" power that would, when activated, make all creatures run away or forget where he was for a short amount of time (long enough to run out of LOS of that screamer-killer, for example).

Are you considering a new key for psychic powers, keeping them all "passive", or having them mimic shooting weapons (so you can "equip" them on the wargear list)? This influences the types of powers you might incorporate into the game.

Also, what are the consequences of using psychic powers? If they are activated, does the psychic test potentially inflict damage (Perils of the Warp)? Is the power going to be something he just spawns with, something that "appears" at a certain number of points, or will there be a list of powers that occur randomly?

Sorry, overly inquisitive ;>

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:17 pm 
Big One

Eidre wrote:
Would love to have a "Miraculous Recovery" power that (unpredictably) would, upon Sarid's untimely death, transport him to a random place on the map and restore him to full health...but perhaps with some cost, like reducing one of his stats by one point.

Alternately, some sort of "Fear of Darkness" or "Sanctuary" power that would, when activated, make all creatures run away or forget where he was for a short amount of time (long enough to run out of LOS of that screamer-killer, for example).

I like these! The 'Miraculous Recovery' is kind of in-game-- it's called 'generate new level', dohoho. I think I could make it a real power, but balanced- at the moment, it'd probably wipe your score to zero as a penalty (ouch!).
I was thinking of a stealthing power, and I know just how to do it, too-- though I was tempted
to have it only block sight. Great protection from Devilfexes and Screamer-Killers, not so much from Shovel-Tuskers or Lictors... or perhaps it SHOULD work on everything. I dunno!

Eidre wrote:
Are you considering a new key for psychic powers, keeping them all "passive", or having them mimic shooting weapons (so you can "equip" them on the wargear list)? This influences the types of powers you might incorporate into the game.

Also, what are the consequences of using psychic powers? If they are activated, does the psychic test potentially inflict damage (Perils of the Warp)? Is the power going to be something he just spawns with, something that "appears" at a certain number of points, or will there be a list of powers that occur randomly?

These are very good questions, and I'll address them in order.
- None of the powers thus far are passive; one can hit 'p' to open up a psychic power menu, which acts like an inventory. Hitting a letter selects a power, and then hitting tab attempts to activate the power.
- Perils of the Warp is 100% in there-- when triggered, it deals a random amount of damage between 0 and Sarid's current hit points minus one. In other words, it can bring you a ripperbite away from death. Happily, this is also the case for enemy psykers. Force Dome protects from this, as it does in normal 40k.
- Currently, Sarid spawns with 'blot'/Mental Eclipse, Hammerhand, and Force Dome. Gaining further powers is going to be based on points earned, or perhaps on amount of psychic use.
- So far, all three powers last from 2 to 7 turns per use, though Mental Eclipse could conceivably be extended somewhat.
- Shadow in the Warp exists exactly as it does in 40k-- and Mental Eclipse a) gives Sarid an Imperial version that affects bug-psykers and b) makes Sarid immune to normal Shadows (I'll likely have this particular power do one or the other eventually, rather than both).

Eidre wrote:
Sorry, overly inquisitive ;>

Don't worry about it! Questions like this are fun :D There's no such think as being too inquisitive--

+++ =I= Note: this heretical viewpoint is not shared by His Most Holy Inquisition, who strongly feel it is quite possible to ask too many questions ('is chaos actually bad', 'is the inquisitor allowed to do that', 'what did I do wrong', etcetera). After all, an open mind is like an unguarded fortress.

Besides: we ask the questions. - Inquisitor Urbester Binomial +++

+++ Thought for the day: There is no such thing as a 'wasteful death' in service to His name. =I= +++

-- so don't think that I'm put out. I'm just happy people are still showing an interest!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:40 pm 
Great Devourer

I'm still dead keen to try this out Sofacoin. I just spent a few hours monkeying about with python and wine trying to get it running on my Linux based machine. No luck as yet, but I blame myself for choosing this OS and not you for not bothering to programme it for an OS almost no-one uses! :D

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:38 pm 
Big One

Yaleling wrote:
I'm still dead keen to try this out Sofacoin. I just spent a few hours monkeying about with python and wine trying to get it running on my Linux based machine. No luck as yet, but I blame myself for choosing this OS and not you for not bothering to programme it for an OS almost no-one uses! :D

As far as I know, you shouldn't need to use WINE-- you could use a Linux version of Python to run the game. Most programs that one might run on a Windows computer are written in C, and are .exe files; they won't run on certain other OSes without an emulator as the OS doesn't support the language.
.py are written in python, and should be runnable on any OS where Python 2.7.2 has been installed.

...Which means I have no actual advice... sorry :<

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:44 pm 
Medium One

Well,m I would suggest you look for solutions in the web. Here are some pages that may help
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/3946
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t ... linux.html
http://superuser.com/questions/282538/h ... -full-path
Then again, they may not. I'm not an expert at this...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:58 pm 
Big One

At last! Bughunt O-I-VIII-V uploaded! A pretty big update, too...
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BN8PX4G9
This edition adds the following bliss:
- Hovering the mouse over an enemy (or Sarid) shows their HP!
- HQ-esque enemies exist, now! Tyrants, Primes, Tervigons, and Tyrant Guard!
- Sarid now has psychic powers to use!
- Heavy weapons now just prevent running while equipped!

As no-one's gotten back to me on the 'get 10,000 points' thing, here's another power-goal for which I'd like a screenshot: Kill a Hive Tyrant. In all my playtesting, I don't even think I've come close- they're appropriately terrifying!

Good luck, and please, leave comments, questions, bug reports, and other fun... the knowledge others like my game is very, very satisfying, and critique is the best way to tell me what's up with it!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:24 pm 
Big One

Heya, everyone! Bughunt's latest version is just out, and we've got some powerful new problems for the players... not only have Hive Tyrants gotten TOUGHER, there's also Venomthropes, Tyrannofexen, Broodlords, and Trygon Primes to deal with-- and like that wasn't enough, every big bug has gained the power to trample over and *squish* smaller bugs in an effort to get to the player. Eek!

And now, a link!
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PBTSSJEW

- More bugs!
- Big bugs will attempt to squash smaller bugs if they're in the way! Pretty significant change, actually...
- New AI type for Tyrannofexen!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:27 am 
Big One

Hey, bughunters!
Just a note to say I've no real news for Bughunt! this week-- between starting a new Pathfinder campaign, generating a new Pathfinder character for a different campaign, tuning a Manaless Ichorid legacy deck, and trying to catch up with the vapid Japanese crap I love, I've just not had much time.

It doesn't help the next step in Bughunt is a big one, and one about which I'm really nervous: I need to implement travelling from map to map. Eek. Once I work out how, we'll be on O.I.IX.O- and quickly approaching O.II.O.O.

Any bug-reports, comments, criticisms or such are very appreciated, as ever. People who can't be bothered logging into WS can do so at my email address - my user name @gmail.com.
Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:18 pm 
Big One

I just started a day or two ago, and I have to say, I really enjoy it! However, is there any way that you could prevent one from spawning with multiple Carnifexes/Tervigons nearby with no way to escape the besides running threw a lot more bugs? I know how easy it is to just start a new game, but it's sort of annoying to be dead within a few clicks.

Keep up the good work, but don't let it get in the way of what needs to be done!

"So Mr. Shoggoth, what's the reason for this loan?"
"To maximize variations capability of the alien invasion of Terra"
"Come again?"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:38 pm 
Big One

Notanoob wrote:
I just started a day or two ago, and I have to say, I really enjoy it! However, is there any way that you could prevent one from spawning with multiple Carnifexes/Tervigons nearby with no way to escape the besides running threw a lot more bugs? I know how easy it is to just start a new game, but it's sort of annoying to be dead within a few clicks.

Keep up the good work, but don't let it get in the way of what needs to be done!

Weeeeell... ALRIGHT!
This week's minor update is a few bug-fixes and significantly lowering the chances of you spawning in a bug-filled room (the room in which you start is genned without bugs, but any genned rooms that overlap are quite able).
Tomorrow, I plan to take another look at those Psychic powers, maybe add some, begin experimenting with learning more, and maybe add more weapons/armour/etc and/or update the readme to have more info in. Oh, and keep studying other roguelikes to see if I can grok 'walk off map-border = save map, set X or Y appropriately, try to load map: if you don't, gen map'.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SUVZW53W <-=- Latest sub-version! First post not updated-- I'll update it when I next ADD to the game, not take something away!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:42 am 
Big One

VERSION O.I.IX.O RELEASED!!

The most significant version of Bughunt! since saving was enabled, Bughunt! now supports the following:
- Sarid starts in section 33.
- Should Sarid walk North, they go to 32; East takes them to 43, Northeast to 42.
- The game looks for a file named 'sector 32' or whatever in its root directory. Should it not find one, it'll make one. Should it find one, it checks if it was made during this life (saving and loading supported!). Should it find it was, it loads the file; should it fail to load it, or should the level be made during a different life, it'll overwrite it.
Each file is about 400kb... could be smaller. Oh, well.

Power goal for O.I.IX.I: put all the save files in a directory other than wherever Bughunt! was saved.

From here, Bughunt is going to improve in quality and dynamics; this was the single biggest coding challenge I've found, and I'm delighted to say yes, I CAN do this, I WILL make this game into a sprawling roguelike of complexity and depth, and I am VERY, VERY satisfied.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GO8TJAGE
http://www.mediafire.com/?tfire91875fq909
- please, enjoy, and every word of feedback is really appreciated.

Edit: Buuuugfiiiiiix. Leaving a map in a diagonal direction would load the next map *diagonally*. Fixed-- you can only travel diagonally at corners!

Post subject: Re: Bughunt! a Tyranid roguelike: Now supports leaving the map!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:15 am 
Medium One

Say, I was wondering, will you eventually start to work on graphics? Make it look something like Diablo maybe?

Post subject: Re: Bughunt! a Tyranid roguelike: Now supports leaving the map!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:11 am 
Big One

I confess, Graphics are very much a low priority; it's something of a tradition for roguelikes to use an @ as a character, letters for monsters, punctuation for items, # for walls and . or such for floors.
I'm also unskilled as an artist, and thus would be unlikely to draw anything good enough.

HOWEVER, the graphics for the game ARE pretty moddable-- it'd be possible to set it up so all the various characters on screen are represented by a drawn, non-letter sprite. Full animation is even lower down the list-- but setting it up so that an artist's drawn genestealers are used instead of 'g's is something I'll consider.

I'll look into it next time I run into problems coding something and need to take my mind off it, or if I get enough demand for it.

TL:DR; No, with a but.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next