Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bughunt! 01/01/12: O.II.O.O AT LAST!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:37 pm 
Big One

Latest download link - O.II.O.O - 01/01/0000

Hey Warpshadow! I have a very special treat that I think you miiight like...
I've been spending the last few days messily programming a game in Python; it's my first game, and my first bit of coding. The current version is stable and at least mostly bug-free, apart from the hundreds of Tyranids.

It's called Bughunt, (version O-II-O-O, or alpha 0.200 if you're a wuss), and it's a roguelike.
A roguelike is a type of RPG where death is permanent and much of the game is randomly generated. There's also a tendency- like in Bughunt- for graphics to just be letters and characters. Notable roguelikes include Azure Dreams, Recettear, Diablo, Adom, Nethack, Angband, and now, most incrediblestest of all time, Bughunt.

The plot:
You play Sarid Gehenophore, a lowly (if surprisingly durable) Imperial Guardsman in a Tyranid-infested city. That's... that's it. Kill and/or be killed!

There's no current way to win or even save, but there is a lot of easy ways to die, and a score that's reported whenever you check your stats or die.
Your characters will die by the dozens. Very occasionally they'll die the turn after spawning. This is OK, natural, and part of the fun!

Version O-II-O-O Features:
- Gameplay mechanics based on Games Workshop's hit game, Warhammer 40,000!
...With some modifications; instant death is just double damage at the moment!
- HUNDREDS of enemies spawned!
...Currently, every single non-Special Character Tyranid in the codex- bar the Pyrovore- has made it in, including five types of carnifex!
- - Genestealers scuttle up walls and rippers are tiny, so multiples fit in a single square!
- - Mawlocs actually Terror from the Deep!
- - Vision range and Feeder/Lurker/Harrier plays a role!
- Randomly generated maps with many areas in which enemies shall be spawned!
...Spawns continue throughout the game, too!
- Grenades, guns, and melee - fifty types of equipable items!
...Including the bolter, chainsword and carapace armour with which one begins the game!
- Less clunky and messy code that still does what it is meant to!
...I'm as surprised as you are!
- Less than a meg to download the game!

So, what're you waiting for? Download and install Python 2.7.2 now, and then download my game and extract it. Assuming you're on Windows, you'll be able to run it just by double-clicking it, just like it was a(n) .exe!

It's open source, and based heavily on Jotaf's excellent Roguelike Tutorial-- though it's got my own innovation, of course.

I'll update this post whenever I update the game itself; please either send me messages or post bug-reports here if you find any, and let me know about your top scores and best moments - while playtesting, I've managed to get just over three thousand points - before I was instagibbed by our friendly neighbourhood Mawloc...

Thanks!

Update O-I-V-I, 0235, 03/08/11.

- Enemies can now choose to move or shoot, just like you!
- Enemy AI is (mostly) split into Lurkers and Feeders-- Lurkers prefer to shoot, Feeders prefer to melee. This also helps balance all that shooting!
- Healing time is faster at low HP- you'll need it, too. Good luck, Living Saint!
- Many more enemy types, including four types of Carnifex (ack!)
- Weapons from the humble sniper-longlas to the devastating multi-melta!
- Some items are 'usable'- they vanish after one use, EG medikits. Medikits heal your entire health at once, for when you suddenly get Mawloc'd (and survive).
- Version O-I-V-I will include a manual, at the very least describing what all those crazy items do! - until then, hit 'c' every time you equip one to see how they affect your stats.

Update O-I-VII-O, 0040, 11/08/11.

- Manual included!
- 50 types of item!
- Menu and ingame menu!
- Enemy visual ranges affects enemy actions!
- You can now drop items! Groundbreaking, I know, but something overlooked in the original code.
- Every firearm fires a type of ammunition!
- Guardsman is now called Sarid Gehenophore!

Update O-I-VIII-O
- More items and enemies!
- SAVING AND LOADING!
- MUCH less crashing!
- The ability to run!
- Different terrain types!
- Destroyable terrain!
- Enemies that'll hunt you down from outside their visual range! And break walls doing so!
- More explosions!

Update O-I-VIII-III - 21/08/11 1808
- FINALLY fixed the border-bug!
- Added five new bugs- raveners, ymgarls, zoanthropes, and mycetic spores!
- Lictor pheremone trail works D:!
- Zoans warp blast; Tervigons Catalyst!

Update O-I-VIII-V - 31/08/11 2258
- Hovering the mouse over an enemy (or Sarid) shows their HP!
- HQ-esque enemies exist, now! Tyrants, Primes, Tervigons, and Tyrant Guard!
- Sarid now has psychic powers to use!
- Heavy weapons now just prevent running while equipped!

Update O-I-VIII-VI - 06/09/11 1826
- Bugs'll squish smaller bugs to hit the player
- More bugs added, including one-per-brood Broodlords and Venom Cannon Warriors

Update O-I-IX-O, 1747, 27/09/11
- Finally, multiple map screens are supported: one can travel from map-screen to map-screen!
- (mildly) less dangerous starting regions!

Update O-IX-V-O, 2307, 26/10/11
- Lots:
- More bugs
- Seven more playable characters
- Z-levels and stairs
- Openable doors
- New combat options (high-visibility, melee tactics, sustained fire)
- Better character sheet screen
- Kill lists

Update O-II-O-O, 2307, 26/10/11
Just so much.
- Vehicles
- Seven new playable characters
- So many less bugs (problems)
- So many more bugs (enemies)
- Despaghettified somewhat
- Circular rooms
- Multiple map types
- Basis of experience points
- Bikes
- Gah just play it I'm redocumenting it as the next step

Last edited by sofacoin on Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:09 pm, edited 45 times in total.

Post subject: Re: sofacoin presents: Bughunt! - a Tyranid roguelike
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:00 am 
Norn Queen wut can has cookie

you sure know how to sell a product! I'll be checking this out, but not now, because I need to leave in 15 minutes and still have to do stuff!

Hive Fleet Charybdis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:35 pm 
Big One

I hope you enjoy it, Vonny! Let me know what you think; I'm looking forward to input, even if it mostly is 'don't give up your day-job'...

First post updated with new version.
From now on, game updates will be every Monday, because I could seriously update it daily...
That'd be a biiit much.

- Enemies can now choose to move or shoot, just like you!
- Enemy AI is (mostly) split into Lurkers and Feeders-- Lurkers prefer to shoot, Feeders prefer to melee. This also helps balance all that shooting!
- Healing time is faster at low HP- you'll need it, too. Good luck, Living Saint!
- Many more enemy types, including four types of Carnifex (ack!)
- Weapons from the humble sniper-longlas to the devastating multi-melta!
- Some items are 'usable'- they vanish after one use, EG medikits. Medikits heal your entire health at once, for when you suddenly get Mawloc'd (and survive).
- Version O-I-V-II will include a manual, at the very least describing what all those crazy items do! - until then, hit 'c' every time you equip one to see how they affect your stats.

Last edited by sofacoin on Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:36 am 
Medium One

Hm... A 40k game where your character is not Space Marine by default... I'M IN!

Ok, so I downloaded the first 2.7.2 for windows (Windows x86 MSI Installer (2.7.2) (sig)) and then downloaded your game, but when I try to open it it asks me to choose a program to run it with. I have no idea where to go from there...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:25 am 
Big One

ianuchu wrote:
Hm... A 40k game where your character is not Space Marine by default... I'M IN!

Ok, so I downloaded the first 2.7.2 for windows (Windows x86 MSI Installer (2.7.2) (sig)) and then downloaded your game, but when I try to open it it asks me to choose a program to run it with. I have no idea where to go from there...

Did you actually install python? If you did, you should be able to run the .py like it was an .exe...
If you did, I'm at a loss!

Next edition I put up on Monday will contain flamers. Watch this space!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:25 am 
Norn Queen wut can has cookie

yea, for me it opens up oneo f them RUN screens, and then vanishes :(

Hive Fleet Charybdis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:34 am 
Medium One

My brother made it work on another program called RarZilla. You can download it for free around the internet.

The game is quite awesome. :D I found a trygon once, but just ran away. I also got one-shot-ed by a venom carnifex or something like that. I can never get much more than 300 pts.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:05 pm 
Biomass

Every time I've tried opening Bughunt with Winrar or Rarzilla it just extracts all the files to the containing folder. I'm just a new fish so how do I play it but I don't want to use Python 'cos it'll mess up my computer which is a Windows XP

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:34 pm 
Big One

Edit: Bugfix! In the last version, 'c' to display character info would crash the game. Fixed that!
Edit: Another bugfix! Gets Hot! was crashing the game. That's pretty hot.
Edit: And another bugfix! Shooting Tervigon-spawned gaunts crashes the game due to a mix-up in how Feel no Pain works. That's been fixed. New 'bugfix' version point, in small letters.
Edit: Another bugfix; an... error made it so you started with 3,000 HP. Hawhoopseh.

Updating to version O.I.VII.Ov. Many changes!
- A readme!!
- Over 50 items, including flamers and armour!
- Dozens of types and varieties of enemies- from Shovel-Tuskers and Mawlocs to Lictors and Nightgaunts!
- Enemy behaviour depends on their sight-range-- if you can see them but they can't see you, they'll move randomly!
- Spawns continue throughout the game!
- The ability to deliberately drop items!
- Scaling regeneration and varying saves! Invulnerable saves!
- A main menu and an ingame menu! One can even, if starting on an ugly map, just load a new one!
- "Guardsman" has gained a name: Lt. Sarid Gehenophore!
- Every gun fires ammunition with a different name including those used by the bugs!
- Mildly cleaner code!

Link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WJAUXMYD

-----------------------------------------

vonny wrote:
yea, for me it opens up oneo f them RUN screens, and then vanishes :(

Uh... I don't know what could be causing that, except for maybe not extracting everything in the .rar to one folder. I guess you could try it with the latest version, but I dunno what else would help.

ianuchu wrote:
My brother made it work on another program called RarZilla. You can download it for free around the internet.

The game is quite awesome. :D I found a trygon once, but just ran away. I also got one-shot-ed by a venom carnifex or something like that. I can never get much more than 300 pts.

I've helped tone down the damage-- Sarid/the Guardsman now has Eternal Warrior, so Venomfexes and such are less incredibly-nasty. Also, I don't blame you on running from Trygons; I know I do!
One bit of advice? Get out of room #1 ASAP, so you can start choosing your battles! Getting bogged down in fighting everything in the first room's a pretty good way to get killed, I find...

Oscamon wrote:
Every time I've tried opening Bughunt with Winrar or Rarzilla it just extracts all the files to the containing folder. I'm just a new fish so how do I play it but I don't want to use Python 'cos it'll mess up my computer which is a Windows XP

Python's a programming language, like Java or C++, both of which are found on Windows anyway; Python's fully able to work with WinXP without problems.
It's also the only way I know of, right now, to run the game... it allows you to run .py files like .exes. I'll see if I can make a .exe version in the future!

Last edited by sofacoin on Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:23 am, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:21 am 
Biomass

Oscamon wrote:
Python's a programming language, like Java or C++, both of which are found on Windows anyway; Python's fully able to work with WinXP without problems.
It's also the only way I know of, right now, to run the game... it allows you to run .py files like .exes. I'll see if I can make a .exe version in the future!

Thanks so much,that would be brill!! :mrgreen: (b~_^)b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:36 pm 
Big One

This was kind of a fun game. I got 1538 points on my last playthrough. I managed to pick up a heavy stubber and an assault cannon, and after that I had no fear of anything small to medium. I only died because I got in a shooting match with a devilfex.

As for critiques, I'd say work on the AI a little. A shovel-tusker should have had me, but it got stuck on a wall while I was running from it, and once that happened all I had to do was shoot it with the assault cannon until it died of embarassment. That happened once or twice with a few creatures, but was most notable with that particular case.

Also, I noticed, does your health go up with time or by the amount of killing that you do, because I think I was approaching 50 health before I died.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:07 pm 
Big One

CapnWellpoint wrote:
This was kind of a fun game. I got 1538 points on my last playthrough. I managed to pick up a heavy stubber and an assault cannon, and after that I had no fear of anything small to medium. I only died because I got in a shooting match with a devilfex.

As for critiques, I'd say work on the AI a little. A shovel-tusker should have had me, but it got stuck on a wall while I was running from it, and once that happened all I had to do was shoot it with the assault cannon until it died of embarassment. That happened once or twice with a few creatures, but was most notable with that particular case.

Also, I noticed, does your health go up with time or by the amount of killing that you do, because I think I was approaching 50 health before I died.

Yeah-- my AI currently sucks. As I've now got flamers working, I'm gonna try seeing if the AI can draw a line to the player (using the same technique) and detecting walls en-route, or perhaps just pinch someone else's better pathfinding...
In the mean time, I might just program it so any attempt to move in a direction has a 1-in-3 chance of being a diagonal move rather than orthagonal or vice-versa... so, if they were trying to move south, they might attempt to move south-east or south-west instead; if they were going north-east, they might go north or east instead. It's not much, but it adds some unpredictability.

Health goes up by 1 point for every 100 points earned; killing a Carnifex normally will net you two whole hit-points. I plan to reduce this number then the game's more advanced.

Incidentally, my favourite gun's the Hellspewer. That thing's gorgeous!

----------------------------------------

New version: Now if you try shooting or grenading something that's out of range, you'll get a message in the combat-window telling you so. Also, cancelling shooting no longer takes a turn. Grenades are also in the inventory, though they also start equipped and are auto-equipped with most guns. w and 5 work to skip turns. A few bugs fixed, including Feel no Pain.
Link!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:39 pm 
The Red Terror

Great game Sofacoin! It's pretty fun, it was really difficult, nut now that I've got the controls down, termagants and hormagaunts aren't as terrifying. I was at 200 points but a Mawloc and a flock of Gargoyles came out of nowhere and destroyed me. I should have just run...

I had a glitch in my last play through though. There was no wall at the top section of the map, and when I walked into it, I could only move left or right until I reached the walls, I'm attaching a picture so you can see what I mean.

[Open in new window]

Edit: Yeah it seems like your character gets stuck if it enters the upper most squares, the same thing happened in a new game I just started. Not sure if it only happens with the top squares, or if it'll happen on any of the squares on the outer edge.

Edit 2: This is another problem I've been running into.
[Open in new window]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:20 pm 
Big One

I've been experiencing the random crashing sometimes too. It's not too often, but it pops up now and again.

I'm still working on this thing. I don't think I've managed to go above 1600 points yet. Inevitably, I run into a devilfex. Those are the most terrifying bugs in the whole game. They just chase you down, burrying you in a mountain of grubs turn by turn.

There was also one death I thought about screen capping and showing to you just for the amusement. I started a game, took one step, and then the screen filled with notifications about spore mine explosions. Apparently I spawned in a crowd of them. I have yet to be killed more completely.

But man, look at all those hive guard near you, Hive Node. You were definitely going to need to restart anyway in that case.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:51 pm 
The Red Terror

Haha, Yeah I know, those Hive Guards are beasts. I've spawned in rooms full of them a few times before.Spawning with a bunch of Genestealers and Rippers is pretty bad too.

My game keeps crashing pretty frequently, I was just doing pretty good, got a Meltagun and a Missle Launcher and took down two Trygons and entered a room full of Sky-slashers. I decided to rush them with my power sword and then the command prompt had like 500 lines of info go by really quickly and then Python just shut down. :(

I was doing so good too...