[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Warpshadow.com • View topic - "Dawn of War II: Retr=][=bution"

Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Wed May 27, 2020 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: "Dawn of War II: Retr=][=bution"
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:45 pm 
Medium One

I'll just leave this right here...

Sure the Gollum voice instructing you to "return" "destroy", and "consume" is not my cup of tea, but I like what I see!

Apparently, there is a single player campaign for every race this time around (and quite possibly another race added to the lineup). Relic is also opting to use just the steam platform instead of having to log into "games for windows" (always hated having to log in to two programs AND be online just to play). Also, this is supposedly just a precursor to tide us over till DoW III releases in the next 2 years! May I never have to play a Blud Rayven muhreen again! Yipee!

Post subject: Re: "Dawn of War II: Retr=][=bution"
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:03 pm 
Big One

=][= vs. Tyranids? And it's not a mod? Sign me up!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:38 am 
Norn Queen wut can has cookie

A Tyranid campaign... would be interesting to see how they implement that.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:57 am 
The Red Terror

Ooh-la-la, look what we have here

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:45 pm 
Big One

I wonder how they're going to do a Tyranid campaign with the DoW II set up, of all things. I actually uninstalled DoW II because it didn't really appeal to me. There wasn't much army or resource management, there was barely any grappling for position, and there was very little variety in gameplay. The plot was fine for 40k, but in the end I didn't really want to play it all that badly after a while. I personally like watching the scales tip back and forth as two armies slaughter one another over a mcguffin or a field of mcguffins, knowing that whoever claims the most or best mcguffins for longest will win the game. DoW II seemed more like it was all about making Space Marines match the fluff: "here's six guys. They're all you need to save four planets from an entire swarm of hyper-evolved aliens. Yes, this is how ridiculously potent we mean to portray Space Marines. No, they do not use any strategies other than marching across a field, and no, there are no defensive positions to speak of. The enemy chooses its ground and you go to it. And yeah, I guess there's multiplayer if you want."

With Tyranids you need a swarm, but in DoW II we as players won't be controlling a swarm. Think the Swarmlord and DoM will show up? Maybe those two units will be all the Tyranids need in force to haphazardly dominate a planet. Maybe they'll introduce a hydraphant that can be controlled and it might be able to beat Force Commander and friends.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:02 pm 
The Red Terror

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:18 pm 

nice find Hive Node.

I found a snippet of information somewhere (don't ask me where) that the swarmlord could actually spawn 'massive swarms of tyranids', and that it's basically a walking army builder calling the nids out of hiding.

Also, in an interview about dow2 Retr][bution, some designer said you could tailor your team as well - as example he said "You can walk around with 4 ork heroes, recreating the old feel of Dow2, or alternatively you can walk around with 8 big units of sluggaboys - it's all up to you!" That may get the stuff back to your liking a bit more as well, Capn.

One thing that I'm screaming "YES!!!" about is that they're doing away with Games for Windows Live. even though it has given me a lot less headaches since I moved into my own place (I now somehow have an open NAT, where before I couldn't get that if it'd save my life), meaning I can play with guys who have strict NAT (as opposed to not being able to, meaning I couldn't play with ANY of my friends who had DoW2), I still would feel a lot more relaxed not needing to work with the archaic and user-unfriendly interface that is GfWL.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:23 pm 
Medium One

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:21 am 
Big One

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:33 pm 
The Red Terror

Don't know if anyone has been following the news on this or not, but here is a neat little article.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/10/18/dawn- ... n-preview/

I think they were confused about something though. I've read somewhere else that the campaign hero is called the "Hive Lord", and that the Swarmlord was just a tier 3 late game powerhouse unit.

Either way, it makes more sense with the Hive Lord as the Swarmlord currently isn't very mutable.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:51 pm 

yea, relic's own announcement site says it's the hive lord for the campaign. I can see why they made the mistake though, as he looks to be wielding 4 swords in the images they posted. But in any case this looks promising and exiting. When was it coming out again?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:04 am 
Biomass

It was confirmed to be the Swarmlord, in the campaign you will have the Hive Lord first and the Swarmlord will arise during the Tyranid campaign, at least that has what has been said on the Relic site, we shall see.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:50 pm 
Medium One

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:13 am 
Big One

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:16 pm 
Medium One

Oh my gosh, I thought I was bitter and cantankerous. If I wanted the boring humdrum of base building and babysitting resources all the while juggling micro tasks, I would just play Starcraft 40 Billionz: Dawn of Zeratul. All your opinions made for a very entertaining read. Can't wait to play the guard campaign and zap some zerglings with the wrong tails. :D

On a more serious note Ianuchu, I think you are taking these design decisions waaaaay too seriously. As master Yoda once said in movie sequels we should be more outraged about... "Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to... suffering." So if you absolutely have to use your sith powers, champion a greater cause. A new Tyranid Codex!