Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: New Tyranid Game coming soon! (SC2)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:51 am 
Little One

This is sad. I did not know this. :cry:
They are pretty much killing the biggest part of the game. I will probably by it at some point but it definitely dropped on the priority list.

AH, damn it. Just checked if Blizzard was going to apply this to all their games and it seems like this is the new policy. And I was so looking forward to getting together with my friends to play SCII & Diablo III. :evil:
I guess it's still possible but it seems like an unnecessary hassle and if we are many there is a bigger risk of lag since we all has to share the connection. :(

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:42 am 
Monstrosity

All I can say is that 9 years later (Diablo 3) & 12 years later (Star Craft 2) I am definately NOT waiting, anticipating or even slightly concerned about either release... oh and they still aren't out even after a DECADE or more of each's initial release.

In a world where we can have an entire movie trilogy, which wins multiple international awards & acclaim, earns almost 3 Billion dollars (US) at a cost of less than 300 million dollars (US), produced & filmed by a very small company and all of this taking only 8 years from start to finish... well I have no excitement for a company that can't get a video game out and onto the shelves.

They may be good games and I may play them, but I won't be running to the store to buy them for $50 (US) when they hit the shelves. I'll try them at a friend's house or on demo perhaps, maybe I'll get them at a discount rate. I'm sure they will be pretty fun to play but I am neither a fanboy or a sucker, making their market wait so long & putting such restrictions on freedom of play on their titles tells me the company believes us to be BOTH.

It also peeves me in the ever so slightest way when people describe Tyranids as 'Zerg' and not the OTHER way around. They did borrow major elements of the 40k IP in production of a title that didn't go as planned... reworking it into thier own 'inspired creation'. Yeah, I'm not THAT impressed.

Space Marines... It's what's for dinner!

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:45 am 
Screamer Killer

Wow, kids. Colour me surprised about the whole Blizzard and GW teaming up to make the games, then GW pulling out. I mean, it's clear that the universes are similar, but I never knew the two companies were ever linked...

You sure it's true? The original Warcraft was released in 1994, then WC2 in '95 (pretty much '96), then SC in '98. Originally I thought it wouldn't make much sense as there was so much time between WC and SC, but looking at those dates you could well have a point.

Jeez. With how popular the franchises have turned out, it certainly sucks to be GW!!

As for the comment about needing a net connection to run SC2, I'm pretty sure that's only the case for the multiplayer. If that is also the case for the single player, that will seriously blow. I mean, I'll buy it, and I'll love it (because, like Krewl, I'm far more into the story of the campaign than I am into getting my butt handed to me by crazy RTS Action-per-minute freaks), but it will be annoying.

Oh, and I wanted to check if anyone on WS managed to score a SC2 beta key yet? I managed to grab one for the Mac Beta with this little bit of design magic, and I was hoping I could hook up with some Warpshadow kids for a game or two. I mean, I'm pretty much on hiatus as far as the Warhammer hobby goes, but that doesn't mean we can't play a game or two together ;)

Mr_Pink's Tyranid Blog For Art and Sculpting and Stuff

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:01 am 
Great Devourer

I'm quite looking forward to it too.

Mr_Pink wrote:
As for the comment about needing a net connection to run SC2, I'm pretty sure that's only the case for the multiplayer. If that is also the case for the single player, that will seriously blow.
I also agree with this mate. I loathe that Dawn of War 2 is net dependant. I only fire it up every few months to play single player, but it has to be connected to the net to work at all, and if there is an update (and there always seems to be an update :evil:) the game locks unto the update is complete.

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 11:51 am 
Medium One

StarCraft 2 release date announced: July 27, 2010 :D

Click for the most epic picture ever.
http://birdstress.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/laser-dinosaur4.jpg

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:00 pm 
Big One

That's too bad about the required net connection thing. I had already scratched Starcraft off my list of interesting games when they announced it would be released in three parts one at a time. The current gaming climate leads me to believe there won't be any point to it except to force players to buy multiple copies of the game to unlock content.

It seems like the more hype that surrounds something, the less attractive the final product. All the money goes into marketing campaigns and awful anti-piracy programs. I still remember being really irritated when they released Spore. I thought that game was going to be so cool, but when it came out it was $70 and could only be installed a few times. Friends who bought it tried to play off their disapointment, saying, "Yeah, it's pretty cool. It's a little repetitive and creating the creatures isn't what they said it would be, but I'm having fun." Now just recently one of those friends offered to let me knock off one of his limited installations to borrow the game because he doesn't play it anymore.

Whenever they release a game that has obnoxious anti-piracy stuff in place I try to let them go for a while before I pick them up. Usually it's a sign that the company has its priorities all mixed up, and like that article indicates, the only people they're punishing are legitimate players anyway.

Here's hoping I'm wrong! The classics are good, but I'm getting kind of bored with replaying them!

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:25 am 
Little One

Well, after watching a series of commentated games on youtube I am a believer. :P
I even pre ordered and thereby got a beta key so if we are on the same server I wouldn't mind playing a game or two Mr_Pink. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:27 am 
Screamer Killer

CapnWellpoint, I think you're misunderstanding the whole "releasing the game in three parts" thing. Think of them as expansions...though I guess a better simile would be to think of the subsequent "heart of the swarm" and "legacy of the void" parts as sequels. I've been following this game for a while, and I can tell you that Blizzard made the decision to split the game into three parts because they put so very much work into fleshing out the Terran campaign and didn't want to make the whole game wait on putting as much work into zerg and protoss when terran was already finished.

As someone who has always loved the campaigns, I'm tickled pink (hahaha) to learn that they made this decision to give us MORE story and MORE missions. For a while I was fearing that stuff would be sacrificed to the Uber online gamerz.

I have no problem with the anti-piracy procedures that Blizzard espouses because at least they give you something for it. The anti-piracy procedures employed by Maxis on Spore were just annoying. The anti-piracy system for StarCraft2 is just one small part of an overall online portal that both keeps track of your achievements in single and multiplayer games, as well as connects you with other friends/players who are also playing the game. Blizzard's anti-piracy procedure actually improves the game. I can't complain about that.
Then again I've always been one of those suckers who actually pays for the games he wants to play.

Oh, and having now played the game a fair bit online, I'd recommend it. I get my butt handed to me a lot, but I'm still having fun. And though I loathe the zerg, they are pretty damn gribbly and niddy.

Plus: Andy Chambers is in charge of the story. How much more Tyranid/40K could this get??

Sick, I'm not sure what server I'm on (I think a N.A. one as that's the only MacServer last I checked), but I go by the name MrPink. What is your username?

Mr_Pink's Tyranid Blog For Art and Sculpting and Stuff

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:40 am 
Little One

I agree that if they do the campaigns well and big(which the should since they have a decent amount of time to do it) I'll be happy. I also agree that the competitive on-line experience is really good. And I'm really not that competitive minded but you just get in to when playing.

Mr_Pink, my username is Harald but it appears that they have removed the ability to add friends through usernames. I read somewhere on their forums that they did so to make people add friends using realID instead, to test how it works.
So if you have something against me knowing you full name, e-mail and maybe some more information you may have given Blizzard(and I fully understand if you do) then I guess we will have to wait until the release of the game otherwise I'll send you a PM with my e-mail when I'm finished with this post.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 9:37 pm 
Big One

Well, you know, I've never heard anything very bad about Blizzard before. Their games are usually pretty bug free, well balanced, and interesting to play.

And I have to admit, I do love strategy games. For some reason I get stomped playing Starcraft, but I made it to the leaderboards for a while on Warcraft III (but haven't played in a very long time now) and was doing pretty well at Dawn of War in multiplayer. I do know that map hacks were common by a certain point in Starcraft, and it's really easy to lose a RTS when your opponent knows where you are at all times. Then again, maybe "ALWAYS NUCLEAR BOMBS, ALL THE TIME" and "I WILL BUILD ZERG HIVES WHEREVER I PLEASE, THANK YOU" were not always the very best of strategies. I was also a big fan of "WHAT DO YOU MEAN I HAVE REACHED THE UNIT CAP? I STILL NEED MORE ZERGLINGS."

But you do make a compelling argument for getting the game, Mr Pink.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 3:27 pm 
Norn Queen wut can has cookie

CapnWellpoint wrote:
... and was doing pretty well at Dawn of War in multiplayer.

If it's DoW2 you mean, you should give a weekly seminar on our steam group on how to do that, I believe, cause everyone else on there claims they suck! (including me!).

Hive Fleet Charybdis

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 5:43 pm 
Big One

Nope. I don't play Dawn of War II these days. But have you tried using the Ravener? If you create tunnels with it constantly you'll have a pretty good network going eventually. If you use larger Tyranids like Ravener broods and Warrior broods, you can pretty much transport an entire army from one point to another in a very short period of time. The games still take a while because it's a matter of resource denial, but it's the only way I've been able to win.

There's not enough strategy for me with DoW II, though. Just one building, no defensive emplacements. When a squad takes casualties they have to run all the way back to the base to repair. Boooring. Give me Apocalypse-scale, squad-based, mass warfare any day over that!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:17 am 
Biomass

CapnWellpoint wrote:
"WHAT DO YOU MEAN I HAVE REACHED THE UNIT CAP? I STILL NEED MORE ZERGLINGS."
I loled at this. I've got to say I was crushed when I found out that there was to be no LAN capability for SCII. The original was the first video game I ever played and many hours were lost with my brother and I hacking into each other in it.
The graphics are great, the storyline is awesome but I feel that the gameplay is lacking somehow. There is something missing that there was in the first one. It could be the LAN capability, but who knows. Also Spore was a huge disappointment to me. I had wanted the game for years and spent a lot of time checking for news on it but the final product sucked, to be honest. Creating creatures was too controlled and had limited options and the gameplay just let me down in every way. Galactic Adventures made up for it a bit but still a big let down.

Hive Fleet Plagariusedo: Still in construction.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:06 am 
Big One

I did go ahead and pick up Stacraft II as well. I really liked it at first, but once I sunk into the game and got up into the diamond league I got tired of it. I'd been playing Zerg the whole time (minus the campaign, of course), and just got plain sick of being the "reactive race". Tactically speaking, being reactive is actually a terrible position to be in - not to mention it's stressful. It causes you to have less control over the flow of the game, and it forces you to keep an eye on your enemy at all times. If you lose your scout or just can't see what's going on in a locked down base, you can get wrecked instantly from just having the wrong units spawned at the moment.

I also got a little sick of having the slowest technology upgrades, the highest resource requirements, and bar none the very worst super units.

The campaign was disapointing, I thought. The gameplay was good and fun, but the story was a touch cliched, and Raynor made a lot of stupid decisions that I never would have. For one, the guy was continually saving colonists, but never once tried to rally them to his cause or do something valuable with him. He just kept saving them because he was a paragon of selflessness or some nonsense, although I guess he got some money and technology or whatever. Still, revolutions aren't usually won by a single battleship floating around causing trouble. A whole planet's worth of supporters had more value than the game pretended.

There was also that weirdness where you broadcast an incriminating voice recording at the expense of civillian casualties, and Mengsk actually loses it and throws a temper tantrum when questioned on the intergalactic news. We can make fake voice recordings in this day and age. If a bunch of terrorists killed some people in, say, Washington DC or London so they could take over a radio signal and play a negative voice recording of the president or prime minister, I imagine people would really be more angry at the terrorists when all is said and done.

Then I was really disapointed with the prohpesy thing. I sort of wanted to give that crystal back to Zeratul, especially because Tassadar's still-living ghost made me cringe. Not to mention that whole issue where Kerrigan has split personalities now so we can justify saving her.

So... eh. Blizzard's maybe lost their stuff since being bought by Activision. It's not a bad game, but it's not near what you used to expect from the company. Still a good RTS, but you can tell it's not completely ready yet and that their story writer has his nose stuck in the cheesy novels they've released in the twelve years prior.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:47 am 
Medium One

OH MY GAAAWWWWWWWDDD!111!!11!!!!!

STARCRAFT FTW!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

hats off to my all time favourite RTS, and it's sequel, that most certainly did not do a worst job.
Hats off to blizzard as well, for bringing SC, WC and diablo to the gaming world.

Before being a wargame fan I used to be a computer geek (well, I still am), so diablo 1 & 2 are all time clasics. But RTS has always been my favourite field.

The starcraft 1 storiline was absolutely awesome, with some amazing plot twists and compelling characters for all the races. StarCraft 2 campaign had me rolling on the floor and crying from the epicness it had. I personally loved even the cheesiest bits of the story and animatics, and it was in fact so good that it deserved ignoring the extremely un-realistic things about space and stuff (in particular the 'OH LORD THE PLANET IS BURNING BECAUSE A STAR IS GOING NOVA!' thing :? ). My heart flips, jumps and wails every time I hear news on Heart of the Swarm, and the multyplayer experience is worth every penny.
Still haven't finished the Brood War campaign, but so far I'm not impressed.

Onto other subjects.

As far as I knew the war between windows and Mac went differently than previously stated. This is the version I heard: Mac was a computer system that was very successful in the market and windows was a new-coming thing that was quikly rising to the top. Realizing the threat that the other posed, they both employed different marketing techniques to try and become the top dog. Mac went with a scheme in which they would make lots of upgrades to their system that could only work on Mac; this was meant to create hard-core loyal buyers to the Mac system, eventually making it the best of systems. Windows on the other hand went with a plan in which they created lots of software and hardware that could work on Windows, Mac and many other operative systems in the market to try to attract as many buyers as possible. While Mac's plan seemed to go well, it turned out that Windows had attracted a large amount of buyers, giving them the money to upgrade their systems beyond the Mac, and the Mac fell behind as an un-versatile and conservative system that was both worse and more expensive than Windows. On the modern day, Mac has made a comeback that targets artists and designers that use the system for artistic pursuits, putting it back into the market with a strong foot. Windows keeps to be the top dog, however the versatile system and open enterprise that gave them the edge on the market years ago is fading away as Windows is becoming more and more of a closed system with software that only accepts Windows.
I have not cared to check the validity of this story, but I heard it from a trusted expert. Feel free to make corrections. The thing about modern situations are based on observation. I personally don't think Mac is any worse than windows; in fact many artists I know tell me how much better the Mac is for art-related stuff.

Spore suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. I was one of those players that tried to bottle up the feeling of regret for buying the game by playing it for hours. Truth be told; it's rather terrible and a massive let-down.

I don't really think that the greater the sell, the lesser the actual game. Brink was a big apinoment for me (I don't know what would be a good way to say the oposite of disapointment). An here in Newcastle (England) you find truckloads of brink posters on every phone booth and bus station. Likewise, Shogun 2: Total War, the advertisement campaign went quite far, and it was widely spread through the internet, and they sold less than the game actually was. Shogun 2 is an amazing game.
Though this thing about more adverts=less game content is very true on some games such as C&C3 (brilliant game but not much advertisement), CODMW (adverts everywere, but the game was terrible) and Portal (the first one, again no advertisement campaign, but arguably the best game in the orange box).
The point is, I don't think we can judge games for how much they sell out on adverts, there are rather equal chances of it being true or false.

Terran=Imperium: Other than the Space marine=Terran Marine, I don't really think so.
Protos=Eldar: Again, not really on my watch.
Zerg=Tyranids: Agreed, they have the same concept, but they both go very different ways.
I had no idea about the Blizzard/GW thing, but it really does make sence. Still, I think Starcraft is as much of an original masterpiece as 40k. Same for WC and FB.
By the way, Warcraft 3 campaign editor: Epic. Starcraft 2 world editor: Better if possible.

To sum up: I can't wait for HotS, SC2 is as good or maybe even better than 1, Spore sucks, and can you play multiplayer matches from Mac to Windows? I'd really like to join in some action against Mr. Pink. :D