Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New Tyranid Game coming soon! (SC2)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:30 pm 
Screamer Killer

Hey Kiddies!

Well, since THQ is prejudice towards those of us Mac users, I never got the chance to get into DoW2

That being said, Blizzard is a little more inclusive, and with the recent announcement that the Starcraft 2 beta will begin this month, we can't be any more than 6 months out from the game's final release date.

I know it ain't technically 40k, but with Andy Chambers now at the helm of the game's fluff, and with the Terrans, Protoss, and Zerg already so closely resembling the Imperium/Marines, the Eldar, and the Tyranids, this is, pretty much, going to be a newer and shinier dawn of war as far as I'm concerned.

Anyone else out there into Starcraft and waiting excitedly for Starcraft 2?

Mr_Pink's Tyranid Blog For Art and Sculpting and Stuff

Post subject: Re: New Tyranid Game coming soon! (SC2)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:42 pm 
Biotitan

Oh yes, I am a big Zerg fan!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:49 am 
Big One

You might already know this, but...

Warcraft and Starcraft were originally going to be Warhammer and Warhammer 40k vidjamagames, but Blizzard and Games Workshop had a falling out. This is why there's such a resemblance between them- Blizzard DID modify their stuff a lot, but kept basic themes, ides, designs, and aesthetics.

So, basically, it is kind of a new Tyranid game, as the Zerg were originally based on the Tyranids, but retooled and somewhat modified after their companies parted ways.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:38 am 
Techno-Mage

Yep I'm old enough to remember this happening and read about it in some now ancient pc magazine.

The games in question were almost finished and GW backed out of the agreement.

Imagine if Warcraft and Starcraft being the massive licenses they are would have stayed 100% true to our beloved Warhammer world... we wouldnt have been left with the abortion that is Warhammer Online and World of Warcrack would be even more addictive.

The human race would probably have already died out due to malnourishment and epic loot induced civil war.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:35 pm 
Genestealer

Macs may be better, but Windows rules the world... I'm a windows fan just because they are so much more usefull.

Anyways, I am very excited about SCII. It's a rip of of 40k, but then again is was supposed to be 40k like in the first place. And the races+fluff are a bit different, so you get a bit more variety than the shades of grey in the Grimdark future of 40k.

Look At My Tyranids

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:19 pm 
Little One

I wouldn't say that I am waiting excitedly for it. Waiting for it, definitely. The excitement just dropped of after a while.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:53 pm 
Biotitan

I be more excited for the editor, just by a weeee bit. I generally suck at RTS, but I LOVE the story and fluff of the SC universe. So I tend to play the campaign and then get back into game design gear. Loved the wc3 editor to heck, and apparently the sc2 editor is going to be ten times more awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:35 pm 
Deathgaunt

I've been eagerly awaiting the release of this game since 2006 when they announced it! 4 years in the making...I hope its worth all the heartache waiting for it haha

The graphics look gorgeous; my one concern is how quickly the first starcraft got repetitive. What I loved about DoW 2 was that there was an RPG element added into it that kept me playing and kept me trying to earn more and more loot- has anyone heard of how, outside of enhanced graphics, new story line, and new units for each army, this game is going to differ and build upon the original?

8th edition Warhammer Fantasy:
Warriors of Chaos: 13-4
Lizardmen: 6-2

7th edition Warhammer 40k
Dark Eldar/Eldar Allies: 4-1
Tyranids: 3-1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:01 am 
The Red Terror

WE NEED MORE OVERLORDS!

I'm excited. Though I doubt my computer will be able to run this game :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:16 am 
Biotitan

The betas are being handed out. If you signed up you have a chance.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:30 am 
Little One

Nidcron wrote:
Macs may be better, but Windows rules the world... I'm a windows fan just because they are so much more usefull.

Anyways, I am very excited about SCII. It's a rip of of 40k, but then again is was supposed to be 40k like in the first place. And the races+fluff are a bit different, so you get a bit more variety than the shades of grey in the Grimdark future of 40k.

Don't let the commercials fool you; Macs are not (and probably were never...short of a brief stint in the early 90's) better than a PC. You can build a PC that will run circles around a Mac, last longer, be rock-solid stable, and cost half the amount of money.

Current Projects: (January 14, 2017) Completed "Aspiring Deathbringer" and now taking commissions!

CHECK OUT THE GALLERY AND SERVICE OPTIONS!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:17 am 
Norn Queen wut can has cookie

Yes pink, I've always loved starcraft and had a fun time building "30 minute survival maps" into a campaign where you actually were not able to stave off the assault like in the original campaign.

I seriously love the zerg!

However, I'm not sure about the new SC2. I was told it was designed for the asian market, and the terran's morphing giant mecha's, and the protoss' walking fortresses kinda make me cringe. I'll get it for sure, but I'm holding my enthousiasm in check with fear of disappointment.

Hive Fleet Charybdis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:19 pm 
Little One

brassangel wrote:
Nidcron wrote:

Don't let the commercials fool you; Macs are not (and probably were never...short of a brief stint in the early 90's) better than a PC. You can build a PC that will run circles around a Mac, last longer, be rock-solid stable, and cost half the amount of money.

The only real truth in that is maybe the half the amount of money. The operating systems have absolutely no effect on the hardware, and for the right amount of money you could build anything for any system. The real issue is that apple refuses to allow the same amount of custimization as windows, due to the fact that the more open you are with the source code, the more people (read: hackers) can access it and write viruses. Because PC's arrived first and dominated the market, people developed viruses for them, and when mac showed up they had attempted to learn from this and prevent hackers from obtaining the code. However, due to incompatibility issues, no one really cared about macs anyway. (With the switch to Intel processors in macs, they're actually much more easier to hack and open then they used to be, but seeing as how there wasn't an alternative, apple switched to Intel.)

So, in short: Macs and Pc's have no differences whatsoever in terms of hardware other than price. The difference is in software, and even that is (mostly) negligible.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:10 pm 
Medium One

I am patiently waiting for the release of StarCraft 2. I love the Zerg and Protoss, but I hate the Terrans. I am patiently waiting.

For those of you who don't like having to wait to be chosen for beta, read this comic.

Click for the most epic picture ever.
http://birdstress.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/laser-dinosaur4.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:37 pm 
Monstrosity

I was on board to be the biggest SCII fanboy ever, Especially since the Original Starcraft was my most overplayed game ever!

6 years after it was out I still played it at LANs.

However...

And it is a HUGE however...

Blizzard seem to have done the unthinkable and have copied the DRM policies of Activision and Ubisoft >_<
If you want to play SCII you MUST have a constant internet connection.
Lose your connection for even a fraction of a second and you are booted to the menu screen, in the process losing all unsaved progress and not being able to continue until you re-connect or you quit the game and restart.

Of course, this DRM has already been cracked by pirates within 1 day

But the real killer which forced me to remove SCII from the list of games I want to buy was the removal of LAN play.
There is not going to be any LAN play, it's internet or nothing :(
So for me there is no reason at all to go out and buy SCII, as without LAN play there is no reason to play it at all

Hive Fleet Munchkin