Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Tyranid Bastion
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:32 am 
Little One

You'll be pleased to know this is the last of the painting progress updates of the Tyranid Bastion, there's only one more post to go after this - the final model and that will probably be in my Hive Fleet Gorgon - Ferron Splinter Fleet post with whatever fluff I can think of that's a thinly veiled attack on those who believe:

a) Tyranids aren't allowed Fortifications [because they heard somewhere they can't use a quad-gun and Chinese whispers ensued]
b) Tyranids shouldn't have Fortifications because their understanding of the fluff fails to address them actually protecting their Hive [y'know where they live and convert biomass]
c) Fortifications are only deployed in your deployment zone, not in fact your table half

and also a shout out to mention the lack of 'official' Xenos terrain.

Anyway here's some of the highlights from the latest update:

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

All the last waffle and step-by-step pics:

http://40kaddict.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/nids-part-96-tyranid-bastion-growth-pt17.html

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:20 pm 
Norn Queen wut can has cookie

looks awesome, dwez. Kudos!

Hive Fleet Charybdis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:29 am 
Little One

Cheers vonny, will you be pleased to know that this is it? Finally done and dusted... or done and bloodied. Not sure which four pictures to choose, maybe one pre Tamiya X-27 and the other three post? I'll let the pictures speak for themselves but as usual if you want to know more there's a link to the blog at the bottom. I'll be preparing a basic Armies on Parade board next that this will feature on but eventually I hope to work up some Capillary Towers for my next Tyranid terrain.

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

[Open in new window]

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-d2da63GRFVk/U ... M00081.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:04 am 
Big One

Fantastic work! way to stick it to the people who think Tyranids can't have fortifications. I was thinking about ideas for a Tyranid Skyshield terrain piece, but I'm out of storage room for making terrain. Would love to see your take on it. :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:03 pm 
Little One

Pekel wrote:
Fantastic work! way to stick it to the people who think Tyranids can't have fortifications. I was thinking about ideas for a Tyranid Skyshield terrain piece, but I'm out of storage room for making terrain. Would love to see your take on it. :)

It's certainly on my 'to do' list but not before some Capillary Towers. Then maybe one day the Fortress of Redemption - I have such a cool idea for the tower.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:41 pm 
Great Devourer

Dwez wrote:
..... Then maybe one day the Fortress of Redemption - I have such a cool idea for the tower.

I'm very keen to see your ideas for that mate.

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:21 pm 
Little One

Yaleling wrote:
Dwez wrote:
..... Then maybe one day the Fortress of Redemption - I have such a cool idea for the tower.

I'm very keen to see your ideas for that mate.

Unfortunately it's all in my head at the moment. I'll do some sketches eventually but before that Capillaries and then Skyshield, which I'm excited about too. Originally I'd thought to take my Aegis Defence line make some more and mount them on hinges so it can open/close. However, that would have forced me to use a regular shaped platform and I want to do something a little more organic in shape - not a blob but not an octagon either.

Suffice to say I'll have fun though as I envisage the whole platform to be very reminiscent of the roof of the Bastion and I thought about the 'shield' aspect to be more of a by-product of the platform working like a Capillary tower. What I mean is there would me an orifice in the centre of the board that would have and open and closed state. However it may be impractical so we'll just have to see how the concept mutates in my head.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:51 am 
Hatchling

Bravo Dwez,

I have to admit that your Tyranid bastion is positively inspiring. It feels (ok looks) like it belongs with the Nids. Have you gotten a chance to actually use it in a game? Your opponents reaction would be something to see. Additionally I followed your link to your Tyranid aegis line, and that also looked great. I hope to see your take on the skyshield platform, as that is one piece of scenery I may need to give a try my own self. First I suspect I should have a run at an aegis line with quad gun to warm up.

fyi - in my mind a tyranid skyshield would probably be more likely to project at an angle somewhat like that capillary towers, perhaps even built into a large hollow capillary tower. The hardest part would be the modelling of the shield portion I suspect. for example not so much a living hinged wall, as a living retractable limb or limbs.......

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:08 am 
Little One

Ronin wrote:
Bravo Dwez,

I have to admit that your Tyranid bastion is positively inspiring. It feels (ok looks) like it belongs with the Nids. Have you gotten a chance to actually use it in a game? Your opponents reaction would be something to see. Additionally I followed your link to your Tyranid aegis line, and that also looked great. I hope to see your take on the skyshield platform, as that is one piece of scenery I may need to give a try my own self. First I suspect I should have a run at an aegis line with quad gun to warm up.

fyi - in my mind a tyranid skyshield would probably be more likely to project at an angle somewhat like that capillary towers, perhaps even built into a large hollow capillary tower. The hardest part would be the modelling of the shield portion I suspect. for example not so much a living hinged wall, as a living retractable limb or limbs.......

Cheers Ronin, indeed it's been a number of games and I think it's only been destroyed in 2 or 3 and those are against foes that have ordnance or lance which will take it down quite nicely. It's main bonus, and worth the 75 pts alone is having LoS terrain in your Deployment Zone that will keep most of your army hidden. I can fit a Flyrant and Tervigon behind it quite nicely. It's also useful in that broods are not subjective to Instinctive Behaviour inside so Biovores can sit quite happily in your backfield while the Synapse advances.

The Skyshield is gestating in my mind, indeed a hinged wall I think would impractical, instead it may be separate edges that I can add/remove to illustrate when it's up/down. Alternatively or even additionally I may add a swapable sphincter to the centre of the platform that will come in an up/down postion, when it's open [up position] it is performing that unexplained orbital transfer of biomass to the Hive Ships and in so doing the landing pad is 'shielded' by the energy transfer.

Meanwhile Avro Vulcan has resurfaced and bring you a new STC to build your own terrain - the Cetacean 'Vent' Tower and Baleen roof extension.

[Open in new window]

Point your cogitators here: http://40kaddict.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/terrain-is-everything-hail-omnissiah.html

[Open in new window]

Existing approved STC patterns are available from this location: http://40kaddict.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/terrain-is-everything-standard-template.html

[Open in new window]

Your compliance is mandatory, All Hail the Omnissiah!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:03 am 
Medium One

Very cool, though it does look like it needs a big floating eye between those two spires :P

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:25 am 
Lictor

@ Dwez: you could also use a metal strip on the edges (top and side) and use magnets on the 'wall' so you could just pull it off and change the the facing (down/side ways or up).

Hive Fleet Adamantium

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:15 pm 
Little One

Da Talon wrote:
@ Dwez: you could also use a metal strip on the edges (top and side) and use magnets on the 'wall' so you could just pull it off and change the the facing (down/side ways or up).

I have thought about magnets, not sure if I could do them on the side because I don't imagine the edges of my platform will be straight, more likely curved, in which case the flat bottoms of their up position will not fit the curved edge of the down position. Still, the magnets would make it less fussy when adding, removing if they 'snap' into position.