Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sci-fi/imdustrial rocket factory terrain near Moscow
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:39 am 
Medium One

"Lana Sator is a young lady who lives in the vicinity of Moscow and decided to sneak onto the premises of the NPO Energomash rocket factory-an active rocket factory that produces rockets for the Russian space program and for the Russian military. She took loads of pictures of the experience and has placed them on her blog. I found the pics really atmospheric and impressive-it's hard to imagine this place is an active industrial site, as it looks so ramshackle, abandoned, and creepy. "

http://lana-sator.livejournal.com/160176.html#cutid1

Post subject: Re: Sci-fi/imdustrial rocket factory terrain near Moscow
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:43 am 
Biomass

Apparently it's not just the future that's grimdark. Those photos definitely have a very odd abandoned, lonely, foreboding atmosphere to them. That's definitely great inspiration for any city or hive type terrain anyone might want to build. It will be really easy to add some realism to a factory setup with that as a reference. Good find.

I gotta ask, is it really wise to be hanging around in a (presumably old and less than well taken care of) basement that has a decontamination shower in it? I mean, that shower was put there for a reason and that reason is probably still there.

Also, urban exploration always piques my interest. It's amazing the stuff you can find by simply walking in weird places. I'm not sure if I'd be too keen on doing that in a Russian missile and rocket plant, but judging by the fact there were cameras everywhere and that she took pictures of employees who don't seem concerned she was there, I'm probably just a little paranoid of getting thrown into a small room with a bag over my head never to be seen again. I'm rambling.

In short, thanks for posting this!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:17 pm 
Medium One

And its not just Russia. Driving through abandoned industrial areas when leaving the Newark, New Jersey airport, you see a lot of similar warzone looking areas. Have heard that steel making area in the rust belt look similar.

tim

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:25 am 
Biomass

Where I live (Alberta, Canada) there wasn't nearly as much industry when things were actually made in North American factories, so the only old buildings here are oilfield shacks and old abandoned homesteads from the turn of the century. I've never thought to use these things as a base for building any terrain but now that you've posted this I've become inspired. Who knows when I'll get it finished but the gathering of supplies has begun.