Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: easy niddified terrain
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:03 pm 
Norn Queen wut can has cookie

A while back in the terrain/objective marker contest, I saw a terrain piece that really inspired me. It was the imperial administratum building I believe from games workshop, but with some graffity on it hailing the skymother and telling us of her arrival. I always liked that touch, it made the whole piece of scenery rather eerie.

So, I tried to do the same! It's not got the same eerie feel as the piece that inspired me, but I wanted to show it to you nonetheless, because of its simplicity:
[Open in new window]

and the back with the graffiti:
[Open in new window]

I'm not quite happy with the graffity yet. I chose blue and purple as the main colors to help tie it in a bit more with the colors so often associated with genestealer cults, but the lining just doesn't deviate enough to make it easy to read what it says ("She is coming"). Any advice on that would be welcome :)

The whole thing looks just a tad brighter than it actually is due to photograph quality

Hive Fleet Charybdis

Post subject: Re: easy niddified terrain
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:16 am 
Medium One

if you whant the letters to be easily readable, i would sugest that you used more contrasting colours, maybe a white stroke to make it stand out, but mainly, dont use such similar colours, blue and purple just blend into each other.

By the way, great job (b~_^)b . thats the best way to use used paper rolls i've ever seen. is that finished on painintg or will you make it more rusted and stuff?

also, does that tower have 'water' writen on? you should know that the imperium of man does not speak english, its all suposed to be in latin. so it should say something like... aqua?...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:09 am 
Big One

ianuchu wrote:
if you whant the letters to be easily readable, i would sugest that you used more contrasting colours, maybe a white stroke to make it stand out, but mainly, dont use such similar colours, blue and purple just blend into each other.

By the way, great job (b~_^)b . thats the best way to use used paper rolls i've ever seen. is that finished on painintg or will you make it more rusted and stuff?

also, does that tower have 'water' writen on? you should know that the imperium of man does not speak english, its all suposed to be in latin. so it should say something like... aqua?...

It speaks high gothic and low gothic (as well as countless thousands of lesser languages). Water would be low gothic; the Latin/high gothic would be Unda Defaeco- literally, "Flowing water crap remover."

Unda is the same Latin root as undulating, Defaeco the same root as defecate- I.E. de- as in demoralize and faeces as in "bad dog".

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:42 pm 
Great Devourer

I think you made a good example of quick, easy and above all else, cheap terrain Vonny. :) And now I think about it, the graffiti not being eye catching can be a good thing. Details that people don't notice at first, but only later when they move models near the piece is a lot of fun. :wink:

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:13 pm 
Big One

I think the lack of contrast in the graffiti also gives it an aged/weathered/rushed look. As if the author is long gone for an unknown reason. I've got some "can-topper" scenery coming from Armorcast in about a week for some silos of my own that I'm creating. This is great inspration. Good work Vonny.

Hive Fleet Antiquitus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:45 pm 
Biotitan

Are the pipes made out of bendy straws? If so omg genius!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:10 am 
Norn Queen wut can has cookie

@ Ianuchu: I was thinking about doing the edges of the letters in pure grey (I now did them in a grey/purple mix), but was waiting until I got some more advice from here. I'm not sure on the painting to be finished yet. I added scorced brown to add rust and ickiness effects, but they seem to be blending in quite well, and not all that visible. Not sure on how to improve on that either.

And yes, it does have water painted on. I was planning to eventually make a sticky line going from the horizontal pipe down into the open cylinder with some wood glue similar to what I used on my tervigon (should be in my gallery, follow the link in my sig), all brown-greenish icky stuff to finish it all off. Can't do that until I'm completely happy with the rest of the piece though.

@ Yaleling: Yes, it's quite cheap, I'll get to that later. Also, while I don't mind the detail being subdued and not-so noticeable, I want it that when you do notice it, it becomes easy to read. I kept the blue and purple not completely covering to show age and blend in a bit with the rest of the piece for just that purpose!

@ Scrotatohead: yes, exactly :) I'm glad I inspired you.

@Krewl Rain: Yup. This is toilet rolls (the carton insides), bendy straws (blue and green ones, if you're interested. Not that it mattered after an undercoat), a paperclip for the grating on the lowest cylinder and some pizaa-box cutout to make the tops of the cylinders. All housed on an old CD which I had burned unreal tournament skins and levels on, and voila! cheap, easy-to make scenery that really shines with a nice paint job!

Hive Fleet Charybdis

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:19 pm 
Big One

Old CDs: the Terrain-and-custom-MC bases of champions!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:43 pm 
Biomass

As far as making easy 'niddy terrain, I was thinking of getting some model railroad trees and then hitting them up with either hot glue guns or the wet effect stuff that you can make water with. Looking for ideas on this from people who have experience making "biologic" looking, or a slimey after effect on everything.