Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Gaming Table
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:22 pm 
The Red Terror

Hey everyone,

So me and my friend just embarked on a new Warhammer 40k project. Building a table from scratch.

After much discusson, planning and scraped ideas, we decided we wanted to make a modular board. So we settled upon making 2' by 2' squares out of 2" by 2" lumber. After the square is built we'll nail either some MDF board, or just plywood (suggestions?) onto the top using finishing nails.

[Open in new window]

After building the squares, we'll drill 3 holes through each side of the square (evenly, unlike my diagram) in order to fit a bolt through, then we'll use a wing nut to tighten the two squares together. When where done playing, we can just un-bolt it, take it apart and throw it into my buddies Yaris. It also allows a wide variety of different table compositions (as seen above), and allows us to make our own "themed" panels to play on.

Last night was our first attempt. Initially we were just using 1" by 2" lumber...

[CARPENTRY TIP BELOW]
Lumber you buy in a hardware store, while being labelled as __" by __" is not actually those dimensions. In my friend and I's case, our "1" by 2"" lumber was actually 3/4" by 1 and 1/2", putting our final square off by 2", unfortunately after we had already built it.

So while our first attempt was a failure, we're going to switch wood sizes (a 2"x2" is actually a 1 1/2"x1 1/2") in order to get a more precise measurement.

Post subject: Re: Gaming Table
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:27 pm 
Monstrosity

When I made my table I went to the hardware store with my plans (including dimensions) and simply requested the pieces be cut to my specifications.
Plywood top which I was quite picky about being exactly 8' x 4'
The frame below my table is 1" x 1" with a frame around the outside edge and 2 struts crossing from one of the long table edges to the opposite side.

Held together by basic woodworking screws and Sellys liquid nails.

For your bolts, I would say you probably only 2 bolts per facing, 3 seems somewhat overkill but that's just me.

Hive Fleet Munchkin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:18 pm 
Great Devourer

I look forward to seeing how it works out Hive Node. :D It sounds like you have a solid and practical plan.

I've love to make a dedicated gaming table too. But though space and storage restrictions I just can't.

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:47 pm 
The Red Terror

@Mercury

Mostly we want to do 3 bolts since (least during our beginning phases) the board will just rest on a table without legs to support it so we want it to be as sturdy as possible.

Either way, it's better to over-do it than to under-do it :lol:

@Yale

Do you have an empty corner at your place? If so the beauty of this tableis evident. All you have to do is mount some brackets on the corners, and when the table is no in use, take it apart and place it on the brackets. Instant "display" case :lol: