Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Terrain board idea: Battle for the Bio-ship
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:50 am 
Broodling

First and foremost, there is no chance that I would have the resources to make a terrain board with all the requirements that this one would demand, but I'm just throwing it out there for the idea's sake. So, what if you were to make a terrain board, similar to space hulk, but the whole concept inverted. Instead of a desolate, abandoned human (or otherwise) ship with space marines fighting off invading genestealers, Tyranids fighting off invading space marines (again, or otherwise) from their home, their lair, their maker, the Bio ship. Maybe, you could make a second board to represent the surface and be able to have troops move in and out, preferably out from our point of view. "Run away!"
Perhaps one could even make a norn queen chamber?! Also, come to think of it, this would be a great place to field a cutterbug!
But what of the 0 G invironment? Special rules to represent this, or do we assume that they have some kind of (for lack of a better discription) magnetic clamps or something?

\__\¯¯o¯¯¯¯O¯¯¯o¯¯¯¯o¯¯¯¯¯¯¯o¯¯¯¯O¯¯¯o¯¯¯¯o¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯o¯¯¯¯O¯¯¯o¯¯¯¯o¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯o¯¯¯¯O¯¯¯o¯¯¯¯o¯¯¯¯¯

Post subject: Re: Terrain board idea: Battle for the Bio-ship
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:07 pm 
Monstrosity

Found this on TTH. Sounds just like what you described:

http://thetyranidhive.proboards.com/ind ... 825&page=1

Unfortunately I don´t think he ever finished it.

http://warhammer40kcreator.googlepages.com

"Joey doesn't share food!!!!!!!"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:50 pm 
Great Devourer

I've seen a few around the traps.

There is a warpshadow member who has a simply beautiful bioship playing board. (I've had a quick look any can't find a link sorry. :()
And I've seen a couple of attempts using expanding sealer foam. I think that stuff has a place, and if used sparingly and painted well I reckon it could really add to a bioship type board. But the ones I've seen the maker just went crazy with the stuff and did a very quick one tone paint over. And while the boards were fun to play on, they looked like nothing other than someone had gone crazy with expanding filler foam and did a very quick one tone paint job..... :P (Either that or someone had a world class case of 'the runs'.)

If you need a little inspiration here is an image of the old GW board game set on a bioship - advanced space crusade.
[Open in new window]

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:00 am 
Broodling

You know, I could do a tyranid bio ship (given lots of time and resources) and if anyone replying to this has read the fluff on my very own, Hive fleet Keres, aka the Sevora swarm, the tyranids were discovered by the imperium and were appearently "malfunctioning" by not awakening from warp sleep. So a research base was put down to study them. Quote from the captain of the only surviving ship: "In hindsight, that probably wasn't a very good idea." I was thinking of making said abandoned base, so maybe I could extend that idea? :mrgreen: I like Mr. Green. But anyways, that board does not capture the asymmetry that makes the Tyranids so dynamic. What I have in mind are smooth curves, little access tunnels, perhaps from a cutterbug, running between corridors, globular shapes, and maybe a live prey pen, because, with such long trips, you'll need a snack sometime. 8-)
On a side note, for those of you who are doing the non-combatants, this kind of board is their time to shine, because it is their home! The Norn queen chamber could be the tyranid spawn point, then again, if doing a scenario, tyanids start everywhere on underground, and the mid-flight snacks start off on the surface, or even better, perfect planetstrike board!
But still the question of zero gravity?
I am also working on some missions for this board, and I've only come up with two so far, but they are kill the norn queen and blow up the ship, both of which are meant for the boarding team. We, on the other hand, simply have to repel the intruders. Ideas for more?

\__\¯¯o¯¯¯¯O¯¯¯o¯¯¯¯o¯¯¯¯¯¯¯o¯¯¯¯O¯¯¯o¯¯¯¯o¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯o¯¯¯¯O¯¯¯o¯¯¯¯o¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯o¯¯¯¯O¯¯¯o¯¯¯¯o¯¯¯¯¯

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:22 pm 
Biomass

SevoraSwarm wrote:
Perhaps one could even make a norn queen chamber?!

:idea: yes!!!!!!!!!! might i suggest a tube from the roof or a brain thing such as the bug from starship troopers!omg why did i not think of that before :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:40 am 
Tyranid Squig!

From what I've gathered, the Spacemarines that boarded Tyranid ships and destroyed sleeping creatures inside, didn't encounter zero-G conditions.
If they had, they would've been in serious trouble, because magnetic boot soles are useless on flesh and bone.

See my Gallery Here.
http://album.warpshadow.com/v/HiveFleetWormwood/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:43 pm 
Broodling

Alright, zero-gravity is assumed to be non-existant. But I have thought of some more missions. They are "Know thy enemy", "Capture thy enemy", "Kill as many as you possibly can of thy enemy" (a variation of "Capture thy enemy"), and "Deliver the bio-toxins". "Know thy enemy" is where the invading army is trying to gather as much intel on the tyranids as possible before getting out of there, "Capture thy enemy" is where they must capture a tyranid organism (can't figure out what one though), "Kill as many as you possibly can of thy enemy", do I need to explain this one?, and "Deliver the Bio-toxins" is where they need to deliver a engineered toxin to the norn queen. If anyone has any other ideas please share.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:54 pm 
Norn Queen wut can has cookie

any tyranid organism of course. More investigation is always good. I remember in the 3rd? ed codex the image of the dissected hormagaunt...

As for zerog conditions - while magnetic boots would be useless in a tyranid bio-ship, it's not unreasonable to think the space marines would adapt to the conditions and simply fight in zero-G. bracing themselves off the walls when they shoot, or keeping the backwards movement away from the bolt in mind, 'jumping' from one intersection to another... kinda like the astronauts in our space stations, but then very-well-trained combat astronauts.

Hive Fleet Charybdis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:12 pm 
Great Devourer

vonny wrote:
As for zerog conditions - while magnetic boots would be useless in a tyranid bio-ship, it's not unreasonable to think the space marines would adapt to the conditions and simply fight in zero-G. bracing themselves off the walls when they shoot, or keeping the backwards movement away from the bolt in mind, 'jumping' from one intersection to another... kinda like the astronauts in our space stations, but then very-well-trained combat astronauts.

That is pretty much what I was thinking. Most humans (even the Naval Security Teams) and xenos would be in dire straights in a zero G combat environment, that may or may not have any ambient visible light. But this is the sort of thing the Space Marines were built for. :twisted: They don't get disorientated or dizzy and their equipment is perfect for this sort of thing. An exceptionally tough environment suit with auto-senses is ideal. And in these conditions bolters make sense, with their (relativity) low muzzle velocity and rocket acceleration once in flight.

And of course for tyranids this is their true 'home'. That they operate so well on planet surfaces shows just how extremely adaptable the tyranids are. :wink:

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:05 am 
Broodling

But pretty much what I was thinking was that units on the surface simply move like jump infantry. Some of these bio-ships must be soo massive as to have some noticable gravity, as it is stated that one was able to eat an asteroid base whole (and an asteroid that is big enough to have a base on it must be a very, very big asteroid, maybe minimum size is Phobos (one of the two martian moons). So perhaps that could be a rule. But anyways, like I said before, I doubt that I will be making a bio-ship, but I will be making a city, and cities have sewers. I am posting this really only because I thought it was an awesome idea.