Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Diobolic Plans: Dominatrix.
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 2:09 am 
Hive Tyrant

So I have finally wanted to get back into sculpting and building, and I think it's time I built myself a dominatrix or two (more on that) to command my ground forces.

Though before I do that I'd like to come up with some rules.

Given the description of Dominatrix I've read over the years, not only are they potentially the largest Tyranid that isn't floating in space or a capillary tower, but they tend to get described as either being hive mothers, battle field commander or both. I'm not comfortable with the Dom being both a ground level nor-queen and a rampaging monster commanding near the font, but I think both could be reasonable.
So I've been thinking why not have two main subclasses of Dominatrix, the Swarm Master, and the Swarm Mother as I've taken to thinking about them.
Here's my ideas so far. Critiques, suggestions, and inputs of all kinds are welcome! I haven't played 40k in years now so I any a bit out of touch with the realities of 7th edition.
Also thanks goes to Dusty Fox for many ideas and rules http://www.warpshadow.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=15877

The biggest thing I'm adding are rules to represent the fact that a dominatrix stream lines the whole swarm and is not just a big scary monster with a wide synapse range.

Dominatrix

Massive, Imposing, and able to awaken the fears of the most stalwart and war hardened solider. The dominatrix is the apex of Tyranid ground forces. Having the tactical genius of the most nightmarish Hive tyrant, the physical prowess and fire power of a hierophant and is even able to create and modify troops of the ground like a small Norn Queen. Composed primarily of two organism and their weapon symbiotic. A Massive weapon beast forms the majority of the Dominatrix, and a smaller organism in bedded in the weapon beasts back. While earlier Inquisitors have suggested the weapon beast is controlled by smaller more psychically active organism and exist purely to protect and transport the smaller organism. The truth is likely more complex. In order for the organism to coordinate and funnel the will of the hive mind the whole organism must work in unison and the weapon beast is in fact riddled with stores of neural tissues, effectively hundreds, perhaps thousands of minds worth of brain matter coordinating the ground force of the hive fleet is startling efficiency and accuracy. Worse yet A dominatrix seems to be able to draw not only upon it's metal capacity, but those of all the Tyranids under it's control. Much of the total knowledge and sensory data can be extrapolated and sent back out informing and aiding the swarm as it continues its assault.

Rules Shared by all Dominatrices:

Psychic powers:
Master Psyker: (Psyker Level 4?) Unless otherwise stated a Dominatrix never suffers from perils of the warp, and it always passes it's psychic tests. Although you must use warp charges as normal although every single one counts as having past.
As well, a Dominatrix adds a further D6 Warp charges to your army on top any other benefits your army might receive.

Your Dominatrix may cast any two of the following powers per turn: (Do don't really get how the new psychic phase works yet and I'm not sure on warp charge costs so I'll just leave them blank for the time being)

Energy Blast: Rng: 48" Strength: 10 AP:2 Special rules: assault 1 Hellstorm template (you may place the template in any orientation so long as part of it is within 48")

Warpshield: The invulnerable save of the dominatrix is increased to 3+.

Primal Terror: D3 formation with at least one unit within 48" lose the effects of Stubborn, Fearless and And They Shall Know No Fear until the start of the Dominatrix' next turn.

In addition The dominatrix may also cast up to 2 extra powers from the Tyranid powers list, and the minimum range of all powers used this way by the Dominatrix are increased to 24" if they would otherwise be shorter. (I'm debating dropping this)

(this section I'm pretty sure is the weakest by far, so suggests more then welcome)
--------------------------------------

Special Rules (thanks again to Dusty fox I'm just verbatim stealing some rules here)

Fleet

Indescribable Horror: See the Tyranid Codex

Heart of the swarm: A dominatrix has synapse and shadow of the warp with an extended range of 48"

Spore Cysts: The creature is surrounded by banks of corrosive spores. These will hit any enemy model involved in combat with the creature during the Assault phase. They strike at an Initiative of 1 (this cannot be modified) and hit automatically. They always wound models on a roll of 4+. They do not affect vehicles.

Invulnerable: Tyranid creatures of this size are immensely resilient; protected by meters of iron-hard carapace, thick Tyr-gel cysts, organ redundancy and ablative layers of chitin, such a beast can shrug off the heaviest of firepower. The creature has an invulnerable save of 4+. In addition to the invulnerable save. At the beginning of each of the controlling players turns roll a D6 for each wound, on a 5+ the Dominatrix regains a lost wound to a maximum of 5 lost wounds per turn.

Of one mind: A Dominatrix isn't just a powerful monster crashing about the battle field, but a master of tactics whose senses and experience is that of the whole swarm. Not only does she have considerable cognitive powers, but is also able to take advantage of underutilized minds of the rest of the swarm to do her bidding and thinking and to grant abilities where they are needed, making sure attack hit their target, that no part of the swarm remain out of control.
A dominatrix may use in any combination, except if otherwise stated, 3 of the following commands each turn. Follow the rules provided below for each command. All commands are made at the beginning of the shooting phase roll a leadership test if successful grant the effects of the commands. Unless otherwise stated the effects from commands last until the next Tyranid turn.

The Lessons of past victories: Pick any Tyranid detachment within synapse range. all units within that detachment gain prefer enemy.

Triangulation: The Dominatrix take in sensory data from all across the battle field, from wind speeds to the precise position of enemy soldiers and relays that back to the swarm. Pick a single detachment, if the command succeeds all units in that detachment may re-roll missed shooting attacks to hit and re-roll scatter dice.

Blood Rage: The Dominatrix send part of her swarm into a blood rage. If the command is successful pick a Tyranid detachment within 48" (not including the dominatrix her self). All units in the detachment, must run, cannot shoot or use overwatch and must attempt to charge if they are able. All units in the detachment gain rage, counter attack, fleet, fearless and furious charge until the beginning of the next Tyranid turn. As well all units with this effect count as having frag grenades for the purposes of charging into cover, however they count all difficult terrain during any changes as dangerous.

Synaptic leash: Pick any Tyranid detachment at any range. All units in the detachment count as being under synapse until the beginning of the next Tyranid turn.

Crushing Swarm: The dominatrix pushes the swarm forward regardless of the costs. If the command test is successful pick a Tyranid detachment except one containing the dominatrix. All units in that detachment add 2 D6 two any run moves, and 1 D6 to any charges and treat all terrain including open terrain as dangerous. Units which shoot must make snap shoot regardless if they run or not, and unit which runs may also take snapshots, but if they do so they must take an addition dangerous terrain test as though they had made an addition move through dangerous terrain.

Direct control: The dominatrix may only use this command once per turn. If the command successful the Dominatrix become WS, BS, and I 3 as she take direct control of a single unit.
Pick a single unit within 48". That unit gains Feel no pain, it will not die, fearless, and Increases the units WS by 3, BS by 1, and the unit re-rolls all failed rolls to hit and wound. These effects only last until the end of the Tyranid turn, at which point the selected unit become WS 1 and BS 1 until the beginning of the next Tyranid turn, and the dominatrix's WS BS and I return to normal.

Swarm Leader: If a Tyranid Army contains a Dominatrix she must be considered the Army's warlord. As the armies warlord the Dominatrix has the following warlord traits.

Strategic Genius: See the Warhammer 40'000 rulebook
Mother of The swarm: All allied Tyranid units within 18"of the Dominatrix have counter charge, and furious charge.

---------------------------------------------------

Upgrades:

Gargantuan Crushing Claws: A dominatrix may replace a single set of scything talons with gargantuan crushing claws. Doing so gives the Dominatrix melee attacks 2D6 armor penetration (you may re-roll one dice as normal, although you keep both).

Bioplasmic torrent: (when you want your Dominatrix to be godzilla) Hellstorm template S: 6 AP: 2 Special rules: Blind, soul fire, torrent. (Based on the upgrade to hierophant)

Brood Mother: The dominatrix may be upgraded to have a carrying capacity of 30 (monstrous creatures count as 10 models, and gargantuan creatures may never be carried)

Synaptic Backlash: Death knell: When a Dominatrix fight this often means that the hive mind is putting all its remaining efforts into defeating resistance, with the hive feet heavily damaged and much of the swarm routed no cost is too high. Should the dominatrix be killed while the whole of the fleets remaining power is concentrated on her the backlash from her ding is powerful enough to fell titans and kill any living creature, even microbes, within the vicinity of the Dominatrix.

Should The Dominatrix be killed All psykers and synapse creatures on the board take a single Str D AP1 hit which ignore cover saves. All models (friend or foe) within synapse range of the of the Dominatrix take a Str D AP 1 hit which ignore cover saves, and all other models on the table takes a Str 6 AP 4 hit (cover saves may be taken as normal). (obviously should be an expensive upgrade)

Extra bio-Cannons: A Hive mother Dominatrix can buy up to two additional bio-cannons with the following profile.
Rng 60" Str 10 AP 2 Special rules: Assault 8

Spore colonies: A Hive mother can spew out gouts of toxic spores and a mix of inert and explosive spore mines which inundate the air around the Dominatrix providing a physical, viable, and thermal barrier to incoming fire. A Dominatrix with spore colonies Has the Spore cloud special rule (See the Tyranid codex) so long as it move no more than 12" over the course of a single turn. In addition any flier which comes within 12" of the dominatrix at any point of its moment takes a glancing hit on the roll of a 4+ as it disrupts high flying spore mines.

---------------------------------------------------

Dominatrix: Swarm Master

Lithe, impossibly large and impossibly fast, some Dominatrix's are sleek predators, overwhelmingly intelligent, with tactical knowledge and skill which draws upon the minds of the whole hive fleet including those mind assimilated on the battlefield. Directing formations of Gargantuan and monstrous creatures and the swarms of lesser Tyranids with pinpoint precision while also granting expertise and skill onto even the most basic Tyranids. While a Dominatrix never leads a charge she is never to be underestimated, for when a dominatrix enters the battle she smashes all things aside be it with talons, cannon, minions or the unfettered force of the hive mind itself.

WS:6 BS:4 S:10 T:9 W:10 I:5 A: 8 Ld: 10 Sv: 2+

Biomorphs: Dominatrix bio-cannon, spore cysts, Two Set of scything talons

Dominatrix bio-cannon:
Streams: Rng 60" Str 10 AP 2 Special rules: Assault 12
Spray: Rng 60" Str 8 AP 3 Special rules: 7" Blast

Special Rules in addition to those above:

Agile: In the shooting phase an Agile creature may either;
- Fire all available weapons, as normal
- Run d6" and fire a single weapon
- Fire no weapons and run 2d6"

----------------------------------------------------

Dominatrix: Swarm Mother

Sacrificing speed a Dominatrix can take on the role of swarm mother. A swarm Mother not only leader her swarm, but also actively creates it. Filling holes in the swarms ranks as they form and imbuing the new Tyranids with the knowledge hard won from there predecessors. The existence of such a creature all but ensures the demise of those who resist the hive mind, as a Swarm mother can respond with much the same speed of Norn queen to changing battle field condition, allowing the Tyranid fleet to evolve in multiple directions as the Norn queens and the Dominatrix work in concert to ensure the destruction if the prey.

WS:4 BS:4 S:10 T:9 W:10 I:2 A: 6 Ld: 10 Sv: 2+

Biomorphs: Dominatrix bio-cannon, spore cysts, Two Set of scything talons

Dominatrix bio-cannon:
Streams: Rng 60" Str 10 AP 2 Special rules: Assault 12
Spray: Rng 60" Str 8 AP 3 Special rules: 7" Blast

Additional special rules:

Lumbering: A Dominatrix Swarm Mother may only move 6" in the movement phase

Mother of the swarm: When units are destroyed and successfully roll to re-enter play, they may do so from the Dominatrix. Although they may not move on the turn they enter if they deploy from the Dominatrix. You can only deploy units this way also long as there is enough room available around the Dominatrix, otherwise deploy the unit normally. Units which deploy from the dominatrix in this manner gain preferred enemy for the rest of the game.

Example: Say you lose a whole squad of hormagaunts who are part of an endless swarm formation. Your roll a 4 so you can put them back on the table next turn. In stead of deploying them as regular reserves you may deploy them 6" from the Dominatrix as though she was a table edge, although by doing so you forfeit that units movement phase.

Kill one and two take their place: Nominate D6 Tyranid units (Not including Gargantuan creatures) at the beginning of your enemies turn. If any of those those units are removed from play you can redeploy them as per Mother of the Swarm rule in your next turn.

------------------------------------------

Thoughts? This is basically a first draft so criticisms are most welcome, and once I'm happy with the rules I'll begin the process of making these into a reality.

Termagant: A stock character, replaceable.

Post subject: Re: Diobolic Plans: Dominatrix.
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 8:47 pm 
Hive Tyrant

I've already started the first dominatrix and she coming along nicely I'll post some picture in the correct forum soon.

Just posting again to see if anyone had and ideas thought anything was way too powerful, or perhaps need to be tweaked.

Or was it too long so no one read it ;).

Also I apologize for any spelling or grammatical mistakes I pumped it out in a couple hours and only proofed in twice so there still probably a bunch of stuff I missed.

Once I'm done the model I'll be going through and making a proper data sheet and cleaning up the rules. Then I'll post it here.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 10:30 pm 
Hatchling

I did read it all, I have no idea if it's balanced or not so I didn't comment, I'm sure others are the same.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 3:35 am 
Great Devourer

withteeth wrote:
Or was it too long so no one read it ;).
Metaphorically shuffles feet and looks at the floor. :oops: Yeah, I started reading it, then was daunted by the enormity of the task of trying to represent the dominatrix on the battlefield. So I looked around, didn't see any spam, and declared my job done.

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 1:45 pm 
Hatchling

As a closet game designer, I think the best piece of advice I could give is that less is more. Less powers, less words in the powers, less confusion and unfamiliarity.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 12:04 am 
Hive Tyrant

Fair enough I was wonder if it was bit bit over kill, I still want some sort of representation of the swarm working with nightmarish efficiency, but I will look at simplifying those commands to one liners. Thanks StealthVulture.

Thanks to everyone else who read it as well :) I'll keep working on the beast and post when she has a little less tinfoil showing ;)