Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: YATF: Hive Mind Powers
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:54 pm 
Harpy

HIVE MIND POWERS
Overall, I think the hive mind powers as is are decent; although we don't have an Invisibility or Iron Arm, everyone (even non-Nid players) agrees that powers like Catalyst are quite useful. I don't think any blessing/malediction powers should work on broods that are outside synapse coverage (doesn't really make sense), although I can see using powers on friends/enemies within 24" as long as they were also in synapse range (but not necessarily from the casting model; this would allow non-psyker synapse creatures like warriors to act as psychic resonators like it says in their description).

Overall, my goal would be to have all of the powers useful, so that no Tyranid army, regardless of flavor, is reliant on certain psychic power rolls to make them work. The powers should also encourage the desired Tyranid aesthetic, and should therefore be generally close combat friendly and encourage large nonspecialized broods.

My comments on the existing and proposed hive mind powers:

- Dominion: encourages a smaller number of synapse broods and castling. I don't think this should be a power at all, and certainly not the primaris power.

- Onslaught: only helps shooting units, which doesn't make sense for what should be an assault-favored army. Eldar battle focus is better, more flexible, and available to their whole army without having to successfully cast psychic powers. I suggest that a change to the power would make it uniquely Tyranid, make it useful to (nearly) any unit in the list, and fit with the Tyranid army aesthetic and desired play style: "Onslaught (Blessing): may be cast on a single brood within 24" that is also in synapse coverage. This brood immediately (in the Psychic Phase) makes a Run move, subject to the normal rules and modifiers for that sort of movement (e.g. Fleet of Foot, Bounding Leap). This move is not like making a run move in the shooting phase in that it does not restrict the unit in any way for the remainder of the turn; it may still shoot or run in the shooting phase and assault (if otherwise eligible) in the assault phase." I think this should be the Primaris power, and possibly COST 2, although I'm not sure one brood moving an extra 3.5" per turn is quite worth that.

- Warp Blast: witchfire powers seem to be out of favor throughout the meta because they're too easy to counter (need to be successfully cast, can be more easily denied by armies with psychic leaders and other psychic defense gear, then they have to roll to hit, wound, and save). For Nids, this problem is even worse because Warp Blast is *the* anti-tank shooting weapon for the army. Nothing else in the list comes even close. It is also the defining feature of the Zoanthrope (along with the warp field), and yet much of the time it's not worth even trying to cast because there is much more mileage to be made by using the zoanthropes' 2 warp dice to cast other things that are more likely to go off and give a benefit, like catalyst. That said, turning the warp blast into a normal shooting attack would probably be way too powerful, especially with the current dataslate brood size (up to 6!) and the current modest per-model cost. I can also still see the (very occasional) situation where it would be really nice for a flyrant or tervigon to be able to throw out a S10 lance attack in the psychic phase...however, despite the high power of the shooting, with all of the extra baggage laid on for it being a psychic power, I think it would get more use as a COST 1 power instead of COST 2. Or perhaps COST 1 for every three shots, so the single-shot Nids aren't paying as much to cast, but the massive 6-shot 'thrope unit is paying two as current.

- Catalyst: seems to be fine as-is. Simple, direct, effective well-costed. Other powers have to be at least as useful as catalyst to be considered as viable alternatives in the psychic phase.

- The Horror: this power has slewed all over the place through the last several codices, and still hasn't found a role that really fits. Using the mechanic of Pinning has been a losing proposition for the last couple rule-sets, as most targets seem to be either completely immune, have high enough Ld that they rarely fail the test, or have some special mitigating feature (commissars, orders) that allow them to negate or ignore being pinned after the fact. Even then, pinned units can now fire guns in the shooting phase, so they aren't completely out of the fight. This is a classic power back from 2nd and 3rd Edition, so there has to be a good match; since pinning is unreliable, perhaps something different is in order: "The Horror (Malediction, 24"): targets a single enemy unit that is also within synapse range. If successfully cast, that unit may not conduct overwatch shooting if they are assaulted in this turn's assault phase." This has the effect of removing one of the big impediments to being a successful assault army, but doesn't overlap with flesh hooks or spine banks and their effect on Initiative order. The only down side is that the availability of The Horror would be dependent on a random die roll or the presence of a Broodlord (although I'm not sure this is the best default power for them, see below), and it would be a shame to have the psychic power roll be considered a "win/lose" button for an assault-heavy army.

- Psychic Scream: with all due respect to the Horror of Malan'Tai, I think psychic scream is a decent upgrade of the main rulebook similar power, but still not reliable enough to be worthwhile. The short range limits it to a last-ditch effort before being assaulted or shot to death, and it is almost guaranteed to be ineffective (small units typically have high Ld, units with low Ld that are affected more are usually much larger and can soak up the casualties). Also, with the dataslate changes to the zoanthropes/neurothrope, there is a much more powerful better alternative. In an effort to move away from witchfire type powers, I suggest that this one go back to the role it used to have, as a synergistic Ld basher. That is: "Psychic Scream (Blessing): all enemy units within synapse range of the casting model suffer from a -1 to all Ld tests. This penalty is not cumulative for multiple overlapping instances of Psychic Scream." Preventing stacking is mainly for game balance, since stacked Ld nerfs seem to be out of favor in the broader meta. That said, -1 Ld may not be that powerful, but in combination with the various other psychic powers and effects of shadow in the warp, it could tip the scale. It also has a disproportionate effect on shooting and close combat morale tests, especially for enemy units that are near the Ld tipping point (Ld7).

- Paroxysm: meh. I have only tried to cast it a couple times since the current Nid codex, and it has never really had a measurable effect on the game. In most cases the affected unit can take advantage of their nerfed shooting/close combat to go to ground for no additional penalties. Where you would really want it to have an effect (overwatch), it's utterly useless, and in the role of nerfing close combat it's not much better because you can't really get that bad or good in close combat (no worse than 5+ to hit, no better than 3+). This is a power created for the last codex and has only gotten worse in the transition. I think it's fluff could easily be incorporated into The Horror (above) and this power could be taken off the list and forgotten.

- Hypnotic Gaze: went away from last codex in favor of The Horror, which I think is a disservice to the Genestealer Patriarch, eh, I mean Broodlord. While Horror is a broad-brush power to keep down the masses, hypnotic gaze is intended to be a point-blank, anti-challenge power to suppress individual nasty high-damage character types, and is attested as such in several significant pieces of fluff (inquisitors looking telepathically into the mind of a tyranid beast, for example). The previous iteration, which allowed a single chosen model to be shut down during close combat with an opposed Leadership test was useful enough to be worthwhile, and is probably only moreso with the number of deathstars out there (and the increase in silly high-end monstrous creatures like wraithknights, dreadknights, and riptides). For completeness, proposed power description would look like this: "Hypnotic Gaze (Focused Witchfire, 12"): This power automatically hits the target unit. The casting psyker and target model (i.e. either closest model or chosen model in range if the power is successfully focused) immediately make an opposed Leadership test (Ld+1d6). If the casting psyker gets a total equal to or higher than that of the target model, that model may make no close combat attacks during the next assault phase, nor may it use any wargear or special abilities that cause wounds or remove models as casualties. It may still use all of its defensive wargear and rules as normal."

Since I would still be one short for a 1d6+Primaris table, I'll grab one of the ideas I proposed for the special rules and turn it into a Hive Mind power instead:

- Enveloping Swarm: this would be an augment to Synapse that allows units to be sacrificed to gain a chance to affect things they would normally have problems with (high T and AV targets). Proposed wording "Enveloping Swarm (Blessing, 24"): the target unit, in this player turn's assault phase, automatically wounds targets on a To Wound roll of '6' regardless of the target's Toughness; successful saves against wounds caused by this unit's close combat attacks must also be rerolled. Against vehicles, this unit's close combat hits cause glancing hits on an Armor Penetration roll of '6', regardless of the target's Armor Value. At the end of the last initiative step when this unit resolves close combat attacks, it takes 1d6 wounds that cannot be saved or negated (e.g. by Feel No Pain). These casualties count against this unit for combat resolution." This would be effective for both base model CC units as well as those with poison (which would normally not benefit from the fairly weak 'auto wound on 6' effect), with the need for successful casting and the cost in dead bodies compensating for the power of the auto-glance and reroll saves effects. It could also be cast (with somewhat less effectiveness) on a monstrous creature mostly for the forced save reroll, to give a better chance of breaking through nasty models with good invulnerable saves that would normally be problematic (nova-boosted riptides, storm shields, cursed earth tzeentch daemons), although the automatic d6 wounds would probably be a death sentence (no big deal if you expect the beast to get pounded to death in close combat anyway).

So at this point, I would propose the following Hive Mind Power Table (with summaries):

Primaris: Onslaught (24" Blessing, Cost 1): target unit makes immediate Run move with no restrictions imposed on actions for the rest of the turn.
1: Warp Blast (24"/18" Witchfire, Cost 1+): 24" S5 AP3 blast or 18" S10 AP2 Lance; 1 shot per psyker in casting unit, cost 1 per 3 shots (rounded up).
2: Catalyst (24" Blessing, Cost 1): casting unit and one target unit gain Feel No Pain until next Tyranid Psychic Phase.
3: The Horror (24" Malediction, Cost 1): target unit may not conduct Overwatch shooting until the next Tyranid Psychic Phase.
4: Psychic Scream (Blessing, cost 1): only affects casting psyker; enemy units within Synapse range have -1Ld (not stackable with multiple instances of Psychic Scream)
5: Hypnotic Gaze (12" Focused Witchfire, cost 1): caster and target model roll Ld+d6; if caster is equal or higher, target model may not attack in CC until next Tyranid Psychic Phase.
6: Enveloping Swarm (24" Blessing, cost 1): target unit wounds/glances on wound/AP rolls of '6', forces rerolls of successful saves. Blessed unit then takes 1d6 unsavable CC wounds.

Post subject: Re: YATF: Hive Mind Powers
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:28 pm 
Norn Queen wut can has cookie

ok, another wall of text from you, and this time I had some "mmmyeh" feelings that I'll try to put into cohesive thoughts and then type them down here, as well as give constructive ideas.

ok then, here we go:
*primaris: onslaught
keep the cost at 1, and I think you've got it down. Maybe consider doing the same as catalyst has now: make it work both for the caster AND the receiving target. Food for thought: how does this work on gliding flying monstrous creatures, as their 'run move' isn't d6, I believe.
*1: Warp Blast. Sounds good. Make sure it still casts multiple times with the zoans :P
*2: catalyst. I agree. Good as it is, keep it that way.
*3: The Horror. I'm not sure I'm that scared of overwatch shooting unless I'm assaulting Tau, a 30 strong unit of shootaboys, or units with lots of flamers. I usually get more damage because I strike last because I'm moving through cover than I get from overwatch, by a landslide. I don't know what your ideas are for the rest of the codex, of course, so maybe you're solving that elsewhere. I also get more damage from normal shooting than I get from overwatch fire, so in that sense I liked the pinning - but I agree, more often than not that was solved by ATSKNF or orders or similar things. Do I have a good solution for this? Not really. My best idea would be to make an enemy not ready to receive a charge (so both no overwatch and striking at normal initiative values, but that's about it).
*4: Psychic scream. We must be playing very different metas. The rare times leadership tests were instrumental in making me win were very limited - and this isn't because of narrowly making or failing them either. a simple -1 would make me instantly want to exchange this for the primaris if we didn't get it for free already. -2... maaybe... maaaaybe. But there's wargear in the necron and the dark eldar lists that does this on a permanent basis already, so I'm not too impressed by this.
I was thinking with your earlier mention of easy-to-counter psychic shooting attacks, maybe you would keep this as it is in the current codex, but increase the range. Is that a good solution? no idea.
*5: Don't make this a focused witchfire. For one, see above, even if it auto hits it still can be countered. Most importantly though, it prevents its use when the caster is in melee combat, which is where I think its most important to have AND the most fluffy.
*6: Could be... although just rerolling succesful saves seems a bit light. Rerolling 2+ saves makes little difference. Perhaps ignore armour and reroll succesful invulnerable saves, or perhaps just ignore armour. The former has the downside of seeming a bit op, the latter has the downside of not helping monstrous creatures. Personally though, I don't think we need help against invulnerable saves, nor should our monstrous creatures need help against invulnerable saves. Why is a hive tyrant fighting an overcharged riptide? You should be throwing poisoned hormagaunts at that, or genestealers.... This doesn't help with the problems a hive tyrant would have vs marine characters with good invulnerable saves, and it is of course completely awesome to have hive tyrants and captains/chaos lords duke it out on the middle of the field :)

So, here's my take. Hope you can use it. I find your posts really stimulating, making me think on what the tyranids are missing in their army list compared to what I'd like them to have - but at the same time keeping intended weaknesses in mind while not making things either too overpowered or too glaring a weakness.

Hive Fleet Charybdis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:15 pm 
Little One

Last edited by PolishSwarm on Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:26 am 

that psychic scream idea of your is actually quite innovative!

Hive Fleet Charybdis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:35 pm 
Harpy

@Vonny: ah, forgot about the witchfire problem, I was looking for a mechanic that gave a partly reliable single-model targeting. It would have to be a malediction to get the right effect.

@PolishSwarm: I agree that limiting the effects to small number is somewhat artificial. I did so for a couple of reasons:

* Tradition: there is a reasonably small list of Hive Mind powers stretching back to 2nd edition, and the names and effects of those powers are things that Tyranid players recognize.

* Artistic: coming up with names and justifications for all of those powers would be an enormous pain in the a**. Not a <<good>> reason, but a realistic one.

* False economy: sort of like the 4th edition carnifex, having a huge bunch of options usually leads to everyone converging on the best ones and the rest were just a waste of time (similar to what I've seen with the warlord traits...everyone rolls on the rulebook "strategic" table unless they're using a special character because those traits are the best). Similarly, having too many choices on a random table leads to, well, randomness instead of configurability.

That said, I could see maybe two lists (like Eldar, although I see them usually using the main rulebook powers), for Synapse powers (buffs) and Shadow powers (nerfs). One huge benefit of having multiple lists is multiple primaris powers, which (if they're chosen right) allows some non-random armies designed around psychic powers (instead of just hoping).

I do like your idea for Scream; making it a pre-assault power means that having it be point-blank range isn't really a problem.

As a further description of Onslaught...the current power is only useful for shooting units. I'm trying to get away from that. The way I have it written, it has exactly the same effect as now for shooting units (run in the psychic phase instead of the shooting phase, but otherwise same benefit), but it also now is useful for getting assault units closer to the enemy without screwing up their ability to charge. That's how I envisioned it at least.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:17 am 
Little One

Last edited by PolishSwarm on Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:34 am 
Hatchling

Alright, as mentioned in other threads, one of the core features of my fandex was that all Synapse Creatures would also be Psykers. I also went with a similar concept as PolishSwarm, which was to give them a LOT of powers broken up across three disciplines. My reasons for this were threefold:

- I had one more basic design principle in addition to those which you outlined in your first thread, and that was to keep the Tyranids utterly isolated from all other Factions. To this end I wanted NO access to Allies, Fortifications, or Core Rulebook Psychic Powers. This being the case, I thought it only natural the Tyranids should have more than one Discipline to their name.

- As you mentioned, dividing powers across multiple disciplines means more Primaris which means more consistency in getting the ones you need.

- Lastly, because of my "all Synapse Creatures are Psykers" rule, I wanted to compartmentalize and separate powers which shouldn't be available to certain units for balance and fluff purposes. Tyranid Warriors have never shot Warp Blasts before and I didn't intend to allow them to now.

So here's what I ended up with. I'm still playing around with these a little bit but I'll post the short versions, except in cases where I really feel solid on the rules and then I'll just copy-paste my actual entry.

HIVE MIND IMPERATIVES
These are essentially Tyranids Orders, in a similar vein to Imperial Guard, which have an effective range equal to the Psyker's synapse range. Originally the Primaris was called Guardian Instinct, and allowed the Pskyer to make Look Out, Sir! saves to reallocate Wounds to Instinctive Behaviour models within 6". Later I moved this to being a built-in feature of Synapse for a couple reasons, so Dominion now fits in here nicely as the Primaris.

PRIMARIS: Dominion (Warp Charge 1)

1 - Hive Awareness (Warp Charge 1): Various ideas for this, but it plays into your concept that Tyranids should be able to see everything all other Tyranids in synapse range can see. Right now it grants Interceptor and a Tyranid version of the Tau Supporting Fire special rule, but I'm not totally satisfied with it.

2 - Predatory Cunning (Warp Charge 1): Grants Stealth and Hit & Run. Represents the Synapse Creatures reigning in the swarms when it's time to get sneaky or fall back and regroup.

3 - Swarm Frenzy (Warp Charge 1): Grants Counter-attack, also grants Rage to IB (Feed) models. The spiritual successor to the Tervigon special rule that gave Counter-attack to Termagants. Could also potentially be a candidate for your idea to let large Tyranid broods suffer Wounds to glance vehicles to death.

4 - Symbiotic Onslaught (Warp Charge 1): Remake of Onslaught, but honestly, I like your version a lot better. Will have to look into this.

5 - Gestalt Coordination (Warp Charge 2): The Synapse Creature becomes a homing beacon for Deep Striking Tyranids, but there's a much more powerful second effect. Nominate an enemy unit within the Psyker's line of sight. Tyranid units which entered play from Reserve this turn and are in the Psyker's synapse range at the start of the Assault phase can declare a charge against that enemy unit. Bring on the Raveners and the Outflanking monsters.

6 - Vicious Insight (Warp Charge 2): Nominate an enemy unit in line of sight, nids in the Psykers synapse range have Preferred Enemy against that target.

XENOTHEURGY
Whereas Imperatives are like Tyranid orders, this discipline is the more "supernatural" and spooky effects, as well as all the old classics.

PRIMARIS: The Horror (Warp Charge 1):
The Horror is a malediction that targets a single enemy unit within 24”. Whilst the power is in effect, the target has a -2 penalty to their Leadership and treats all units with the Tyranids Faction as having the Fear special rule. This penalty is not cumulative for multiple instances of this psychic power. Furthermore, the target unit must take a Pinning test at the end of the Psychic phase.

1 - Aura of Torment (Warp Charge 1): A shout-out to an old biomorph from 2nd edition. Blessing that targets the Pysker, enemy units within 8" have a -2 Leadership penalty. Doesn't stack with itself, but does stack with the Horror if you really, really want to crush an enemy's Ld.

2 - Enthralling Gaze (Warp Charge 1):
Enthralling Gaze is a malediction that targets a single enemy unit within the Psyker’s synapse range. Whilst the power is in effect, the target unit must pass a Leadership test each time it attempts to move, manifest a psychic power, shoot, Run, declare a charge, or attack in the Fight sub-phase – if the test is failed, the action is forfeit and the unit can do nothing else that phase. If the target unit is no longer within the Psyker’s synapse range or line of sight, the effect immediately ends.

3 - Paroxysm (Warp Charge 1): Like yourself I'm not thrilled with this. Currently my version also hits Initiative in addition to WS and BS. Possibly can be worked with further.

4 - Psychic Scream: Obviously the Leadership penalty niche is already more than covered, so mine is just the good old nova that deals no-saves-allowed Wounds equal to failed Ld test to everything in range. I just bumped the range up to 12". Stack The Horror and Aura and then Scream for massive damage centered on this creature. Not sure yet if it's too powerful, but I've seen Eldar lists running Psychic Shriek and Horrify to decent effect and no one's complained, so it's not unprecedented.

5 - Catalyst (Warp Charge 2): Grants FnP as usual, but I also added an additional effect that reduces Instant Death Wounds to D3 Wounds instead to preserve the old 4th ed Eternal Warrior flavor.

6 - Voracity (Warp Charge 2): A remake of the older Catalyst. Whilst this power is in effect, models in the target units are not removed as casualties due to unsaved Wounds inflicted in the Assault phase (including Wounds caused by Overwatch) until all models engaged in close combat have resolved their attacks for the turn.

ZOANTHROPY
This is for the devastating shooty powers. Only Zoanthropes, Maleceptors and Tyrants have access. Unlike most disciplines, it's only got 3 other powers besides Primaris, similar to the Chaos Daemons ones.

PRIMARIS: Warp Blast
Warp Blast is a witchfire power. Warp Blast can be used as either a Burst or a Lance. Each time this power is manifested, the controlling player must choose which profile is being used, before the target is chosen. If manifesting the Burst version of the power, it is Warp Charge 1 - likewise, the Lance version of the power is Warp Charge 2.

Burst 24” S 5 AP 3 Assault X, Blast*
Lance 18” S 10 AP 1 Assault X, Lance*

*Warp Blast fires 1 shot for each model with the Psyker or Brotherhood of Psykers special rule in the unit that manifested it.

1-2 - Assimilate (Warp Charge 1): Basically Life Leech from Biomancy, but with the following profile:

Range: Template | Strength 1 | AP 4 | Assault 1, Fleshbane

Wounds inflicted restore Wounds to the Psyker or a friendly in 6"

3-4 - Scourge Mechanicum (Warp Charge 1): A 9" nova Haywire power, also makes all terrain within 9" of the Psyker difficult and dangerous to vehicles (even flyers) until the start of your next turn.

5-6 - Tyrannic Psychosis (Warp Charge 2):
Tyrannic Psychosis is a focussed witchfire with a range of 12”. The target model must take a Leadership test on 3D6. If it fails, it suffers a -3 penalty to its Leadership for the remainder of the battle. Furthermore, at the end of the Psychic phase, and at the start of each of its turns thereafter, the target model must take an Instinctive Behaviour (Feed) test. Whilst subject to Instinctive Behaviour after failing such a test, it cannot manifest psychic powers, and counts as its own individual unit which treats all other units on the battlefield as enemies. Treat it as locked in combat with any unit with a model within 1” when an Instinctive Behaviour test is failed.

That's what I got so far. Please have at it.

Last edited by XenoSmile on Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:10 pm 

if you go with three psychic disciplines, you could consider doing 1d3 tables, for four powers per table (if you inculde the primaris). Chaos does this too.

Hive Fleet Charybdis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:13 pm 
Hatchling

vonny wrote:
if you go with three psychic disciplines, you could consider doing 1d3 tables, for four powers per table (if you inculde the primaris). Chaos does this too.

Not enough available space that way. Hive Mind Imperatives, at the very least, needs the full D6 powers, and I can't say I like the idea of cutting 3 powers out of Xenotheurgy either. Even with three Disciplines, Tyranids still have access to the LEAST number of powers of any Psychic faction in the game, due to not having access to the Core Rulebook (which is a design choice I am in agreement with).

Zoanthropy is fine with the D3 however, since it's entirely Witchfire powers.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:31 am 
Harpy

Another draft...incorporating some of the ideas in the thread (very much appreciate the discussion).

I concur with the official codex that Tyranids should only have access to their own unique powers. The wacky randomness of Biomancy or Telekinesis is interesting, but having machine cursing tervigons or iron armed flyrants is a bit much, and more importantly, too random for a meta-species that breeds psykers for deliberate purposes and doesn't have to find and cultivate whatever random genetics coughs up each generation (like humans).

That said, giving tyranids free reign to choose powers would lead to undue levels of list optimization (some randomness is ok, especially when it's mandatory for every other army out there). There is precedent, though, for reducing the number of powers per table to make it more likely to get the desired power, and to increase the number of primaris powers. This, plus a careful choosing of those primaris powers, should guarantee that all Nid psykers have at least the choice to pick a power that supports a multi-role (shooting and assault) army, and rewards specialization with additional an additional primaris power (right now that is reduced to "all Nid psykers have Dominion", which is boring and trivial).

So at this point, I would propose the following Hive Mind Power Tables:

The Hive Mind
Primaris: Onslaught (24" Blessing, Cost 1): target unit makes an immediate Run move that does not restrict subsequent actions (i.e. can still shoot, assault).
1-2: Catalyst (24" Blessing, Cost 1): casting unit and one target unit gain Feel No Pain until next Tyranid Psychic Phase.
3-4: Frenzied Swarm (24" Blessing, cost 1): target unit wounds/glances on wound/AP rolls of '6', forces rerolls of successful saves. Blessed unit then takes 1d6 unsavable CC wounds.
5-6: With a Thousand Eyes (24" Blessing, cost 1): target unit's shooting does not require LOS and ignores cover. Target unit may assault enemy units that are not in LOS.

Shadow in the Warp
Primaris: The Horror (24" Malediction, Cost 1): target unit may not conduct Overwatch shooting until the next Tyranid Psychic Phase.
1-2: Psychic Scream (Blessing, cost 1): only affects casting psyker; all enemy units within this unit's Synapse range have -1 to WS, BS, I, and Ld (to a minimum of 1)
3-4: Spirit Leech (18" Witchfire, cost 1): (3d6 - target unit Ld), positive total taken as wounds w/ AP2 and ignores cover. Each USW -> one additional warp charge usable by casting unit only
5-6: Hypnotic Gaze (12" Malediction, cost 1): caster and chosen model in target unit roll Ld+d6; if caster is equal or higher, target model may not attack in CC until next Tyranid Psychic Phase.

Warp Distortions
Primaris: Warp Lance (18" Witchfire, Cost 1+): 18" S10 AP2 Lance; assault X, where X = psyker/brotherhood models in casting unit, cost 1 per 3 shots (round to nearest).
1-2: Warp Blast (24" witchfire, Cost 1+): 24" S5 AP3 assault X, where X = psyker/brotherhood models in casting unit, cost 1 per 3 shots (round to nearest).
3-4: Warp Field (24" blessing, cost 1): target friendly unit gains 5+ invulnerable save until next Tyranid psychic phase. If the target is the casting unit, the save is 4+ instead.
5-6: Warp Shunt (12" blessing, cost 1): target friendly unit removed from board, then immediately deepstrikes with first model placed anywhere on the board within Synapse coverage.

Psychic Creatures
* Hive Tyrant (mastery 2/3) - may choose any Tyranid discipline
* Broodlord (mastery 1) - must choose Shadow in the Warp discipline
* Tyranid Prime (mastery 0/1) - must choose Hive Mind or Shadow in the Warp disciplines
* Zoanthrope Brood (brotherhood mastery 2) - first power is always Warp Blast (not Lance); may take second power from any Tyranid discipline (so if they choose Warp Distortions, they get Warp Lance for free as the Primaris).
* Haruspex "Maleceptor" (mastery 1/2) - may choose any Tyranid discipline

As a note on the Zoanthropes and Warp Shunt...I'm sticking to my fluff that the underlying reason for Zoanthropes having direct warp-blasty powers at all is because they are the organic warp drives and gellar field generators onboard Tyranid hive ships; once the ships are in real-space, they can be used as weapons because the hive ships are parked in orbit (efficient use of assets).

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 7:26 pm 
Little One

I just had an idea for a way to improve warp blast; how about making the warp charge variable, for example the low strength , could be a warp charge 1 and maybe make the ap 4, the higher strength warp charge 2 and so on with no real limit on the amount of charges but with the higher power comes a bigger backlash maybe if you get up to 5 or 6 charges you get a long range apocalyptic blast on the target but the caster is destroyed in the process. This is a very rough idea but I wanted to share the idea of the vast power of the hive mind being channelled into a small creature.