Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: YATF: Biomorphs
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:41 am 
Harpy

I'm relatively happy with the biomorphs overall. I just mean to make a few tweaks to bring back some old favorites that are clearly present on models (feeder tendrils, for example) and adapt some of the shooting weapons into more usable forms (bioplasma and flesh hooks).

* Bioplasma: hammer of wrath attacks are AP2. I think this fits thematically (unlike a short ranged blast weapon that's equally likely to scatter and hit friends or kill enough models to deny the charge). It also encourages "good" carnifex behavior (charging), affects both heavy infantry and vehicles, and doesn't prevent the Fex from having two other shooting weapons if that's desired. I'm undecided whether this is worth putting on other monstrous creatures (it was available as a biomorph as early as 2E, so making it unique to Screamer-Killers doesn't really have a good precedent).

* Toxin sacs: fine as is. Maybe cheaper for the MCs (since they don't provide as much benefit when you're already wounding on 2+?).

** Hypertoxic: an upgraded version of toxin sacs available (or default) on certain creatures. This is shamelessly stolen from the toxicrene, in order to merge that beast with the Haruspex while providing the benefits of hypertoxic to other deserving bugs (venomthrope). The effect will remain the same (poison (2+) and Instant Death on "to wound" rolls of 6), which overlaps slightly with boneswords, but should be managable by not making this morph available to anything that can take boneswords (leaving it to the non-synapse melee bugs, like venomthropes and haruspices).

* Adrenal glands: combo of FC and Fleet is a good idea and makes a lot of sense. It's probably worth the price for assault MCs (I take it and I'm usually glad I did); it's not worth not as much for the bugs that are already fleet or otherwise fast (Ravs, Trygon). I'm inclined for this reason to make the cost of this biomorph tied to each creature and not on a master wargear table.

* Acid Blood: decent, but overcosted (why nobody takes it). Betting on taking wounds in close combat is a loser right now with shooting being so dominant. That said, the biomorph has history and feels right for Nids (suicide weapons are always appropriate), but it'll have to be cheaper and available on more types of bugs (perhaps even gaunts) to be used. I'll have to think about how to do that without giving out AP2 in too many places (probably tied to the melee characteristics of the creature itself, except maybe for the pyrovore since she's an acid-themed bug and should be better).

* Toxic Miasma: one shot per game is unlikely to be worth the points, especially for an AP- weapon. Since I'm going to be modifying Venomthropes heavily, I'd prefer to have Miasma be a more distributed way to gain the (clearly vital) Shrouding. For silliness reasons, it should not be compatible with anything that moves fast enough to outfly a cloud of smoke (FMC, jump inf, etc); this also fits with not making "jink" creatures gain a 2+ cover save while swooping around (which I'd like to avoid; 2+ cover is already powerful, but making it portable, even with the disadvantage of snap shooting, is a bit much, especially on creatures that can do fly-by attacks that auto-hit). I think this is a fluffy choice as well, with all of the codex pictures showing spore clouds pouring out of the towers on the backs of the monstrous creatures. It'll just have to be expensive enough to make it an open question whether it's worth taking in a all-comers list.

* Feeder Tendrils (lictors, stealers, venomthropes): since preferred enemy now affects shooting, that's no longer an option (having feeder tendrils affect shooting from across the board seems unlikely). I'm torn between either the easy answer (model gains preferred enemy in close combat only) or the more complicated but fluffier answer (enemy units that take at least one unsaved wound from a model with feeder tendrils become a preferred enemy for all friendly models). I really like the latter version, as it supports the use of vanguard creatures like lictors, V-thropes, and genestealers as suicidal troops to do some DNA sampling on a difficult enemy to make killing them with other assaults and shooting easier. This also would absorb the functionality of the maw-claws of thyrax, making them irrelevant.

* Flesh-hooks: I don't like them as a shooting weapon, as they become the only way a lictor does anything meaningful (other than act as a mawloc beacon). I don't really like them as assault grenades either, because it doesn't really fit how they are used; grenades need to be a wide bursting suppression weapon, where flesh hooks are shot with the intent to snare a particular target and reel it in, fitting with the lictor's assassin role. Instead, perhaps something like "Models with this biomorph inflict precision strikes on 5+ instead of on 6s"; this makes them more useful for picking out individual models (fluffed that they allow the attacker to catch specific enemies and drag them in; and only affects creatures that already get precision strikes like most of the MCs; this also drives the army list to make characters where this behavior is desired, like lictors!).

* Leaper: confers bounding leap (+3" run and charge move), as per the current hormagaunt. Since it doesn't explicitly overlap with adrenal glands, I like it (and it deserves to be more widely available; the return of the reaper warriors from previous editions can't come soon enough, as well as leaping Tyrants).

* Regen: regaining single wound at begining of movement phase on 4+ is good and more reliable than previous (and doesn't paradoxically increase healing when more badly hurt). Needs to scale cost with number of wounds, T, and Sv, since that covers how likely the model is to be blown away before it can regenerate. 30pts is way too much except maybe for the W6 Sv2+ models; below that, probably needs to be somewhere in the range of 3pts (warrior), 10pts (prime), 20pts (tyrant/harpy), 25pts (fex/haru/trygon), 30pts (exo). It would be fluffy (in my mind at least) to also give it a chance to restore the model from death (in the style of Old One Eye); since altering the model removal rules (i.e. leaving the model on the table) invites all sorts of questions about shooting the corpse to make it stay dead, I'd prefer to represent this ability by a 4+ invulnerable save or Feel No Pain that only works when the creature has 1 wound left.

* Gaping Maw: native to Ravener Prime (Red Terror) and Haruspex, available for Trygon (more on this later). During this model's close combat resolution, after the To Hit roll, this model may convert 4 hits into a single special Gaping Maw attack against a single enemy model (may not be MC) within the engagement zone that has T less than this model's statline S. This attack automatically wounds and removes the target model from play, regardless of T, W, Eternal Warrior, or other rules that mitigate wounds (Reanimation Protocols, Feel No Pain), unless it can pass an invulnerable save. If this model scored fewer than 4 hits, it may not make this gaping maw attack. This is essentially the same as the Red Terror's special attack, but more broadly available.

* Tail Weapons: don't like the way it's currently done; too expensive and too complicated means no one bothers to get it. I still like the concept of tail weapons, especially the modeling opportunities, and they can fill a vital function (additional attacks against tarpit units, to compensate for MC's low number of attacks), but I don't think it's worth the effort to differentiate between the different types or to give them a separate profile from the creature that carries them. Instead, propose something like this: "A model with this biomorph gains +1 Attack during the Assault Phase. This bonus cannot be claimed in an Assault Phase that this model charges".

Post subject: Re: YATF: Biomorphs
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:57 am 
Great Devourer

I think this is relatively uncommented on as it is pretty uncontroversial. :wink: I agree with your sentiments in all cases, and with your suggested rules for most.

* Bioplasma is a quirky one. I love the idea of aiding screamer killers to scream and kill again. I worry it may be to potent with d3 ,S9, AP2 attacks per carnifex. Reducing the strength to S7 would kind of match the plasma strength. But that isn't an option, as the S9 attacks of the carnifex, and her hammer of wrath hits are the main reason for taking one. :/

* Toxin sacs changed when poison changed in 7th edition. 10 points is expensive but sometimes valuable on S6 monsters. It is the S4 medium tyranids that are most effected by the change. I don't know what the points should be for them.

* Tail Weapons, I agree. The various types never get used, and "+1 Attack during the Assault Phase. This bonus cannot be claimed in an Assault Phase that this model charges" seems good.

(Secret wish. The biomorph that I want most to have +1 Attack during the Assault Phase. This bonus cannot be claimed in an Assault Phase that this model charges is thornback! Oh I know it was near useless back in 4th edition, but I love the thornback bits and the idea of the bile-beast and death-beetle were so evocative. :D )

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:07 am 
Winged Hive Tyrant

For tail attacks, one thing that might work that I think would be fluffy and representative without creating new special rules would be for it to confer Rampage to the model. This does a good job of representing the slashing tail being dangerous when the creature is surrounded without the weird clunkiness of having models having to be in B2B, so it can't be gamed by smart players.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:45 pm 
Harpy

BO(V)BZ wrote:
For tail attacks, one thing that might work that I think would be fluffy and representative without creating new special rules would be for it to confer Rampage to the model. This does a good job of representing the slashing tail being dangerous when the creature is surrounded without the weird clunkiness of having models having to be in B2B, so it can't be gamed by smart players.

I like this idea. It uses a rule that, by all rights, should be part of the tyranid arsenal, and in a way that seems entirely appropriate to how a thrashing tail weapon should work. Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:01 am 
Norn Queen wut can has cookie

One thing I noticed the other day in my tyranid game was that poison was changed in 7th again - if your S equals but not exceeds the enemy T, you don't get rerolls (you did in 6th). This doesn't make it as powerful as one would think on many of the mid-creatures. for S3 and 4 creatures, more often than not it doesn't help with the enemy infantry, only coming in to play when fighting bikers, wraith constructs or other high T enemies.

Hive Fleet Charybdis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:01 am 
Great Devourer

BO(V)BZ - That is elegant, and perfect. :D

Vonny - That's exactly why I have trouble thinking of the right cost for toxin sacs on the medium and little ones.

I don't think the current price is worth the current 3 points on warriors or genestealers. They are much more useful on hormagaunts since they are only S3. But hormies also pay 3 points for toxin sacs and that seems way too much on something so fragile.

I'd consider toxin sacs on termagants at 1 point each, but not at the current 2. Hmmm, so as I type this I think I've talked myself into wanting poison on termagants at 1, warriors, raveners, genestealers, hormagaunts and the like at 2 points each. I don't think they would become a default choice at the cost, but they might get more consideration.

http://album.warpshadow.com/v/Yaleling/