Warpshadow.com

An unofficial discussion board dedicated to the Tyranids of Warhammer 40,000 (tm Games Workshop)
It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Tyranids in warhammer fantasy
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:19 pm 
Little One

My friend plays ogres in warhammer fantasy and after watching him play a few games i became somewhat interested.

The problem is that none of the existing armies really appeal to me so I'm looking for ideas in how to make tyranids for fantasy.

My initial ideas are a race of dragons that use magical mutants(genestealers) and other beasts to fight with. For example I would have the main troops be termagants with hormie claws and a fire breath attack. A Trygon modeled with hive tyrant wings for a lord, or whatever the hq equivalent is, genestealers for shock troops (obviously).

That is the extent of my fluff ideas but I have no idea how to go about building a fan-dex for fantasy nor how to balance them because I know little to nothing about how fantasy works.

My friend asked this on another forum but all the ideas there seemed to be about how to fit the models to an existing codex, but I want something as original as I can make it for casual play only.

Can anyone help with this?

Post subject: Re: Tyranids in warhammer fantasy
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:31 pm 
Medium One

Obvious suggestion: Consider Lizardmen. Some sort of nid/lizardman combination would be pretty ace if you ask me.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:25 pm 
Norn Queen wut can has cookie

to write a whole and balanced fan codex is really, really hard. There've been a few nid fandexes on this forum, and they of course had a base to work from - A firm idea of the power level of each individual monster, their usual opponents, and how everything could work together and would work within the main rulebook. And even then they were very hard to balance and a lot of work was put into them.

Building something from scratch - pfew, that's hard.

You say you don't want a counts as army with an existing codex. The question then of course is what takes your fancy within tyranids that you can't find in any of the fantasy armies? Is it the background story? Is it the models? Is it its army element (swarmy with some big ones thrown in the mix)?

Hive Fleet Charybdis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:02 pm 
Little One

My biggest problem is just a lack of knowledge in general. I don't know much about the rules or armies at all, I just know that none of the existing ones really appeal to me the way Nids first did for 40k.

I can see that building a complete fan-dex from scratch would be a little much. Do you think working from a base codex and modifying would be better/easier? If so which codex would be the best to start with?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:45 am 
Norn Queen wut can has cookie

well, that again comes with the question what you like about the tyranids. Is it the big monstrous creatures? Is it the feeling of an endless swarm of small ones? Something in between?

Hive Fleet Charybdis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:03 pm 
Biomass

Hey,

I know it's been a year since the last post and if this is against forum rules I apologise.

I'm intrigued by the idea of fantasy Tyranids and have some experience with fan-based codices (even though the last one was terribly OP). If you're still interested we can spend some time each week working on it.